Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lehmans goes down, global banking in crisis

Roughly 4000 at Lehman in Canary Wharf I'd guess, maybe a little more. I'm going to wander over during lunch and gawp at the car crash. :(

I think 5,000 in the UK mate...

Not been involved in anything like this for many a year now but I recall the atmosphere well.

What maiac would buy an AIM biz now?
Almost all the moners with aim listing are trading below issue, and they WERE the main success stories a couple of years back.
Aim listing were down nearly 50% YOY in Aug

I think 5,000 in the UK mate...

Not been involved in anything like this for many a year now but I recall the atmosphere well.

Yes. Around 5,000 across the UK, including the mortgage unit.

The phone is ringing already from people we've tried to headhunt from Lehmans over the past few months, who said "no" to our mandate.

Very sad. Takes me back to other bank collapses I've worked through.

Anyway. Not over yet.

From the bbc story
To help prevent panic on financial markets, the Federal Reserve said for the first time it will accept stocks owned by banks as collateral for short-term cash loans, broadening its emergency lending programme.
Isn't that a phenomenally bad idea, given that stocks are expected to fall all over the place?

From the bbc story

Isn't that a phenomenally bad idea, given that stocks are expected to fall all over the place?

Depends on the 'stock' they'll take. If it's soveriegn debt, it's not as risky. If it's publicly quoted stocks, I'd imagine it'd be restricted to highly liquid stocks of large Cap firms.

Seriously though, how does one go about aquiring the castoffs from a dying company? This is from a personal moral desire to avoid unnecessary waste, you understand.

The fact they say "stock" means exactly that - equity

Risky as fuck and desperate

Yes. I agree - and that has the potential of another house of cards, depending on the underlying fundamentals of the companies whose stock is being lent.

Does the Fed want to end up with a stock portfolio as well as a mortgage business? :D

Seriously though, how does one go about aquiring the castoffs from a dying company? This is from a personal moral desire to avoid unnecessary waste, you understand.

With the Enron auction, it was pretty much a turn up on the day and bid.

The fact they say "stock" means exactly that - equity

Risky as fuck and desperate

BBC is crap reporting again. The FED statement actually reads . . .

"The collateral eligible to be pledged at the Primary Dealer Credit Facility (PDCF) has been broadened to closely match the types of collateral that can be pledged in the tri-party repo systems of the two major clearing banks. Previously, PDCF collateral had been limited to investment-grade debt securities."

In the context of the statement it seems clear (to me anyway) that "securities" in this context = "fixed income securities"

HBOS takes a 30% drop today.. blimey...

Fortunately we got all but about $4m out of Lehman last week!!

The rich bail out the rich, again.

if you're poor and American though, don't think about a free trip to the hospital......

All in all a bad day
Tomorrow will be worse - I start a new job - for a start up recruiter in financial markets!!!!!:D:D

Hahahahahah, maniacal laughter, etc[/QUOTE]

^gis us a job! (have no experience in finance but quite fancy working for a maniac):p

Yup, funny how the right have suddenly become advocates of massive state intervention.

Thing is, if left unchecked the people that will suffer most are the people at the bottom, so in the end some financial help is probably the only sensible route.

Thing is, if left unchecked the people that will suffer most are the people at the bottom, so in the end some financial help is probably the only sensible route.

I know, the poor get the shit end of the stick whatever happens.

Back
Top Bottom