Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

led zep facing court case over possible stairway plagiarism

Why has it taken so long? I mean it's not like Stairway is unknown, is it - to the point where some guitar shops supposedly have signs asking people trying guitars not to play it (in the same way that similar requests are made of saxophonists and "Your Latest Trick" by Dire Straits).

This has been a long running controversy, but Zeppelin are well known for lifting stuff!
George Harrison told Page they should do more songs like Stairway, so Page used the first chord sequence of Harrison's Something at the start of The Rain Song!

The court of public opinion says Stairway to Heaven is far more popular.

If Taurus is such an amazing track how come no one would have heard of it if not for this "controversy".

Why has it taken so long? I mean it's not like Stairway is unknown, is it - to the point where some guitar shops supposedly have signs asking people trying guitars not to play it (in the same way that similar requests are made of saxophonists and "Your Latest Trick" by Dire Straits).

I've only ever seen one such sign, and it also forbade 'sunshine of your love' and 'plug in baby' by muse.

It fits in with my general experience of guitar shops as places run by twats.

I'd have thought House Of The Rising Sun was a more obvious target for their ire.

I've only ever seen one such sign, and it also forbade 'sunshine of your love' and 'plug in baby' by muse.

It fits in with my general experience of guitar shops as places run by twats.
Plug in baby is a tune. Spose its like the comic shop bloke myth that is at least half supported by reality.

Generally guitarists who have got quite good will just have a bit of a jam when trying out a guitar, whereas your noob is more likely to play that one great riff she's been practicing for ages. So it's probably less about people in the shop not wanting to hear a certain tune, as them not wanting to hear several not-very-good renditions of it every day.

Stannah obv saw a gap in the market opened by this and introduced their stairlifts from 1975.
Stairlift.gif

Wondering if there should be a statute of limitations on things like this, I mean a lot of time has passed and the parties making the complaint aren't even the original musicians now .. should there not be some kind of time limit?

Back
Top Bottom