Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

LBC or talkRADIO?

I am a relative newcomer to LBC (4 months of listening) and have come to the rapid conclusion it is the pits! Every 14/15 minutes 5 minutes of banal adverts including ambulance chasing ads. Then there are the pointless presenters who are far too fond of giving a fifteen a minute monologue on the hour - O'Brien and Naawaz two prime examples.It should be renamed to LBM - Leading Britain's Monologues. As for Steve Allen - what is the point? LBC is distinctly biased toward the right as the death of the Philip coverage proves - they are as bad as the BBC when it comes to propaganda.

Give me the World Service, R4 or R4Extra any day. Those aside, there are dozens of free to air radio stations on the web.

Haven’t listened to either. But I do listen to radio everyday, morning, when I’m cooking and at bedtime. Mostly BBC R4, world service and their content on BBC Sounds. Occasionally I do random podcasts from other places.

How to vaccinate the world has been a regular bedtime thing, once a week since it started. I don’t like phone ins, they irritate me.

Forgot to add: Nick Abbot on LBC Friday, Saturday and Sunday is well worth a listen. Funny and has the correct political values. No lover of the Tories or Royalty.

Does TalkRadio employ any broadcasters at all who are not right wing nutjob cunts, for an attempt of a bit of balance however small? Or is it basically a British radio station's answer to Fox News?

Forgot to add: Nick Abbot on LBC Friday, Saturday and Sunday is well worth a listen. Funny and has the correct political values. No lover of the Tories or Royalty.

Which is why they pulled his show on Friday & Saturday this week as they have done in the past, his Sunday shows are a bit boring though as theiy're in a more straight format to the Friday & Saturday shows. His podcasts with Carol McGiffin on Mondays are good. Dotun Adebayo's shows on the graveyard shift on Radio 5 are worth a listen if a little safe.

Steve Allen seemed to be unceremoniously disappeared from LBC. It's all a bit ambiguous as to whether he jumped or was pushed.

Never listened to LBC or Talkradio other than clicking on a link if someone moans about them - not really a fan of phone-ins tbf - if I listen to a talk station, it's either Radio 4 or Times Radio (which surprised me by being ok :D)

Sure, but there's been lierally no mention. There one minute and gone the next. Not even a word from the other presenters. It was all very mysterious.
I've only seen comments by James O'Brien - A consummate, inspirational broadcaster with the sort of relationship with his listeners that the rest of can only dream of. A friend, a colleague, a legend. He will leave a huge whole at LBC & in many, many people's mornings. Take care..

But nothing from his other colleagues.....

Never listened to LBC or Talkradio other than clicking on a link if someone moans about them - not really a fan of phone-ins tbf - if I listen to a talk station, it's either Radio 4 or Times Radio (which surprised me by being ok :D)

Ditto, apart from being surprised about Times Radio, it's there to promote the papers/extend the brand, and The Times is fairly sound, nothing like the horror rags in the Murdoch stables, so was likely to be OK.

Steve Alan has left? I don't often listen but he is a legend. Been on LBC forever. I wish him well.

James O'Brien and Nick Abbott are my favourite LBC presenters.

I listen to Talk Radio to hear what their self styled voice of common sense, (tabloid right wing) style take is on things. I don't mind Ian Collins too much.

Rarely listen to R4 these days. Just WATO and occasionly Any Questions. Podcasts have taken the place for much of the other stuff I spose. Accidental Archers listening isn't even a thing any more for me.

I remember the first incarnation of Talk Radio in the nineties before Kelvin MacKenzie turned into TalkSPORT.

Such luminaries as Tommy Boyd talking on topics such as "the white man is the most oppressed minority", or the late Scott Chisholm endlessly platforming Norman Brennan to bash yobs getting freebies at alton towers in the pre asbo era. James Whale would likewise bring on his mate, some RAF pilot, with whom he'd bonded on a Bristol late night talkshow where the audience were 'rude'.

Good times

Not a fan of current events radio phone-in programmes in general regardless of the broadcaster, because life is too short to willingly ruin your mood and get your blood pressure up by listening to thick twats talking bigoted bollocks.

But whereas it’s bad enough to listen to such programmes on BBC R5, the thread title ’LBC or talkRADIO?’ sounds to me about as appealing as ‘Wasabi enema or fire ant up your urethra?’, frankly. But each to their own…

Steve Alan has left? I don't often listen but he is a legend. Been on LBC forever. I wish him well.
His popularity is an eternal mystery to me. Sure, it's a facility to be able to speak non-stop for the bulk of three hours, but the content is rubbish, for the most part. And often fairly unpleasant, as evidenced by the various controversies.

What is even odder is that he does, or did, stage shows. I could just about see listening to him as part of an early morning ritual, but there are people willing to shell out cash to have an evening of peevish bitching. Unless his shows are radically different from what he does on radiio.

Steve Allen was always pretty nasty, he was thought of as a legend as he had been there for 40 years, and he always knew how to sail just close enough to the wind to be able to get away with his bitchiness.

However in the last few years the goal posts have shifted, he was too stuck in his ways to realise and is arrogant enough to think it didn't matter

He was wrong and LBC binned him quietly and the lack of support from his colleagues on SM makes it seem he wasnt quite as poplar as he thought he was.

Back
Top Bottom