Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Launches...

Virgin Orbit look like they are going to have a stab at launching 'Start Me Up' (9 satellites: AMAN, CIRCE A & B, DOVER, ForgeStar-0, IOD-3 Amber, Prometheus 2A & 2B, STORK-6) on LauncherOne from Cosmic Girl out of Newquay Airport/Spaceport Cornwall on 9 January. Launch window is 2216-0016UTC, with a backup date of 18 January.

In the unlikely event it is clear that night (current forecast models don't yet look promising) then persons towards/in the SW/South Wales/southern Ireland might be able to see it briefly during the early stage of powered flight (first minute or two).
The path of LauncherOne is shown in blue, and its approximate location over the ocean at any given time is depicted in the circles marked on the trajectory. Each circle is defined in seconds from the LauncherOne release and ignition point.

Could 2hats or anyone else knowledable about such matters explain how a rocket launch window can be as narrow as one second, as it was the case here? :confused:

Could 2hats or anyone else knowledable about such matters explain how a rocket launch window can be as narrow as one second, as it was the case here? :confused:

It's because it has to do a series of flybys to speed it up and get it there using the minimum amount of fuel.

Europe's JUICE mission has to squeeze into a 1-second launch window. Here's why.
"We're trying to stack up all the planets, or the gravity assist maneuvers to get to Jupiter with the minimum out of the three and a half tonnes of fuel," Justin Byrne, the head of Science Programs at Airbus Defence and Space, which led the consortium building the JUICE spacecraft, told Space.com. "So we have a one-second launch window to inject JUICE into the right orbit."

For low Earth orbit it is due to needing to hit a precise orbital plane (plane at a particular inclination) such that they can be at a particular point in space and time (eg for rendezvous). How large that launch window is (seconds or minutes) depends on how much spare energy the launch vehicle has to steer back in-plane from a less than optimal initial launch plane (the shuttle to ISS had a 10 minute long launch window to the ISS for each attempt; a lot of Falcon 9 ascents for similar profile missions are near-instantaneous as they are often looking to recover the first stage).

Talking of instantaneous launch windows - the first Boeing Starliner crew flight test is about to launch - due at 1552BST. Live coverage on NASA TV streams.

Well, Starship made it into space and it put on quite a surprising display of glowing, burning metal on the way down.

(you need to scroll to about 11 hours into the above video)

Starliner is less than an hour away from planned ISS docking and has been visible from ISS camera feeds for quite some time already.

I am watching via:

Theyve now got some failures of multiple control thrusters, but I dont really know my terminology. Holding at 260M away from ISS as a result, for now.

I switched to the official NASA feed instead.

Ground control tried hot firing 4 thrusters, crew felt 3 out of 4 working.

Period of darkness. Moving to 200M. If Im interpreting things right they cannot proceed beyond that as intended while they havent got enough redundancy confirmed as available in the thruster array.

Having missed the first docking window of opportunity, they are now confident enough to try again as the second window looms.

Its going much better this time. Pretty close, in distance at least, still a while to wait for actual docking.

I gather "Starliner" is still having trouble with the He leaks, so they've shut the manifolds down. They still have sufficient reserves ...

I gather "Starliner" is still having trouble with the He leaks, so they've shut the manifolds down. They still have sufficient reserves ...
They’ve postponed the return flight to July, seemingly due to those helium leaks that were so insignificant they decided to launch without fixing them.

Back
Top Bottom