Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth's plans to demolish Cressingham Gardens and other estates without the consent of residents

Brixton Hatter

Home is south London mate
The latest element in Lambeth Council's plan to socially cleanse the Brixton area has been revealed: demolish the Cressingham Gardens estate and build a huge development of luxury flats for the rich around Brockwell Park:

Kdmo5wA.jpg

Clearly Lambeth Labour have a 20 year strategic plan to get rid of the poor and ensure only the rich remain. They are about 7 years into the plan…they are doing pretty well with it so far.

Last edited:
I find Cressingham Gardens an immensely depressing estate. Many (but not all) of the people who live there love it to bits, but I can't see the appeal - besides being right on the edge of the park

I think the last mock up I saw of what was proposed was far shorter than that image. Mission creep or what?! Most of the trees have disappeared too; does that suggest this is a mock up by the residents not the developer?

Do you work for Lambeth, SpamMisery? You really do come across as that sort of arsehole in all of your posts.

Just in case you don't know, places where you live are made more by the people/community who live there than the actual buildings. But Cressingham Gardens is not at all depressing and actually really well designed. I'm sure Greebo can post that amazing short film about the estate and the architect who designed it; although I have the feeling that really you're not interested.

I find Cressingham Gardens an immensely depressing estate. <snip> I can't see the appeal - besides being right on the edge of the park
Compare and contrast with the style-but-no-substance built Brockwell Gate (not even available to council tenants), the large, carcentric, and difficult to navigate Tulse Hill Estate, the Deronda Estate, or St Martins Estate. Then pick one. :p

There's the light, the high ceilings (at least at one end), the way that you can keep an eye out for deliveries while in the kitchen, the way that the flats are clustered. But if you don't get it, you don't get it. Frankly, I wouldn't want your sort for a neighbour anyway, sweetie. Enjoy Brockwell Gate or wherever else. :rolleyes:

<snip> places where you live are made more by the people/community who live there than the actual buildings. But Cressingham Gardens is not at all depressing and actually really well designed. I'm sure Greebo can post that amazing short film about the estate and the architect who designed it; although I have the feeling that really you're not interested.
I don't remember where the clip is, as I don't have fast enough broadband to view it - only saw it at the tenants' & resident's meeting.

OTOH Manter was told by the police that this estate has a very low crime rate, compared to the bigger and more intensively built estates along the same main road.

It's from the Save Cressingham Facebook page - there was a meeting for residents at the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/SaveCressinghamGardens

Also some stuff on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SaveCressingham

Can't find any official stuff on the proposals from the council yet….
That's the most intensively built option - there are others where the profile and layout of the estate will be kept a lot closer to what it is now. Seeing as the scanner's in the bedroom near his computer, I'll see if I can get ViolentPanda to scan and post the the colour coded layouts of the other options as well as that one.

Nothing is set in stone yet, and the option shown above will only happen over my dead body. :mad:

I find Cressingham Gardens an immensely depressing estate.
Have you actually ever been there?

I've not lived there but I lived just across the road for many years and walked/cycled through it daily - also various friends lived there (as well as two of the most illustrious urbanites ;) ) - it's a good, safe, quiet place to live. "Good architecture, done with modest means and lots of skill."

Parts of it have been criminally neglected by the council in the past 10+ years though...

Last edited:
Do you work for Lambeth, SpamMisery? You really do come across as that sort of arsehole in all of your posts.

Just in case you don't know, places where you live are made more by the people/community who live there than the actual buildings. But Cressingham Gardens is not at all depressing and actually really well designed. I'm sure Greebo can post that amazing short film about the estate and the architect who designed it; although I have the feeling that really you're not interested.

I visit the estate frequently and have watched the many videos on YouTube. I do this because I follow the proposed redevelopment quite closely because I have some close friends who live on the estate. I fully understand why some of the residents like it so much, I simply don't see it the same way.

FWIW the bits near Tesco, which were blocked up with breeze blocks for several years, will almost certainly be demolished and then new blocks will be put in that area.

SpamMisery where do you live then? I don't want your address, but let's hear what you misguidedly think is so great to live in. Style of building? Age of building? State of repair? Local demographic?

The simple truth is: Lambeth's Labour council and their developer mates want as many rich people as possible to move in so they can flog all our public assets and trouser lots of cash.

Brockwell Park could be partially surrounded by tower blocks. I predicted this many years ago when they stole a corner of the park to add an extra traffic lane at Herne Hill. Slippery slope….

whether the design of the estate is good or whether people like living there or not isn't the issue here. Lambeth are selling off publicly owed homes / buildings and allowing them to be replaced with high cost private housing.

When Lambeth is all luxury flats - where will the cleaners/ nurses/ carers/ firemen and everyone everyone else live?

Is there any chance that the combined might of the residents and the Friends of Brockwell Park can fight them off?

Sorry guys, didn't realise I had to share your architectural views. I have now amended mine and will look to move to Cressingham Gardens sharpish

Sorry guys, didn't realise I had to share your architectural views. I have now amended mine and will look to move to Cressingham Gardens sharpish
Where do you live? Do me the courtesy of answering my question if it's such a lovely place.

Are you actually suggesting that it is perfectly acceptable, desirable even, to tear down Cressingham Gardens, disperse the community and replace it with private housing because you don't like the architecture?

Greebo was there any info from the council on projected numbers of new/refurbished/social housing homes? Is there anything online yet?
There's information in the leaflet - no idea if it's online - low data allowance - y'know?

Have just about got VP started scanning the bloody leaflet of options, not easy. For my next trick, I'll persuade the Thames to make a reverse waterfall up one side of the Southbank Centre - no engineering required. ;)

Brixton Hatter according to the bloke who had a hand in regenerating an estate in Enfield, all the places done up, let alone built on this estate, will be "affordable - I mean social rent - I mean existing council tenants already on the estate have nothing to worry about". He seemed to have me down as a stroppy ungrateful cow who wouldn't just take what he said as gospel.

BUT he also said that all the flats built would be put on water meters AND would probably go up by at least one council tax band - only an extra £20 (per week/month/year? Didn't say).

Last edited:
Are you actually suggesting that it is perfectly acceptable, desirable even, to tear down Cressingham Gardens, disperse the community and replace it with private housing because you don't like the architecture?

I didn't say or suggest anything remotely like that, but hey... details, whatever.

Wait, what I meant to say was, "why would someone who wants to move there hold such an abhorrent view?!!"

Is there any chance that the combined might of the residents and the Friends of Brockwell Park can fight them off?
Dubious but any help is welcome. As it is, the Telly Tubby mounds are safe as they're part of the Brockwell Park Conservation Area. Small victories. Crosby Walk and that side are probably going to be sacrificed.

Back
Top Bottom