Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lakefest - anyone been?

sojourner

Where's me readers?
Has anyone been to this? Looks like I'm playing it, which I'm a bit happy about given Leftfield are playing on the Friday night, and Slipmatt's doing a set too!!

Is it a bit posh? It looks a bit posh. It's in a posh area too. Am I gonna rock some posh boats with my big fat Northern gob? More importantly, does it have a decent fire pit?

Last edited:
I'd say not posh tbh. Posh festivals don't book happy hardcore djs.
It was Posh. As. Fuck.

Sooo many chairs (honestly, none of the fuckers stood up at all), children, dogs and Tories. As I mentioned on FB, I got the shit-on-my-shoe look whenever I tried to chat to anyone who wasn't part of the Something Else tea tent. We had lovely neighbours in artist camping but the punters were not fond of us. The dance tent was like a fucking wedding on the Friday night - kids running round everywhere, no one actually raving at all, just dad dancing a bit and talking, loudly. That changed with the arrival of other ravers on the Saturday, and we felt less like lepers then. Most of the bands were pedestrian at best, aurally offensive at worst. Leftfield were shambolic, tons of filler, a bit of killer, and a proper let down. We saw them about 10 years ago at Beatherder and they rocked the place. Said at the end of the Lakefest set that they were out of practice. Fucking rehearse then, like every fucker else!

To top it all off, there was an army recruitment stand, in the play area :eek: The canopy may have been removed and err, relocated, overnight by parties unknown. We'll never know for sure.

Big plus was not dying of heatstroke on stage tbh. It was also a beautiful site, we saw 3 shooting stars, that big old moon and Saturn, and had a grand time in our little bubble of good people. Don't think the Tea Tent will be invited back though!

-5/10 - would not recommend.

It was Posh. As. Fuck.

Sooo many chairs (honestly, none of the fuckers stood up at all), children, dogs and Tories. As I mentioned on FB, I got the shit-on-my-shoe look whenever I tried to chat to anyone who wasn't part of the Something Else tea tent. We had lovely neighbours in artist camping but the punters were not fond of us. The dance tent was like a fucking wedding on the Friday night - kids running round everywhere, no one actually raving at all, just dad dancing a bit and talking, loudly. That changed with the arrival of other ravers on the Saturday, and we felt less like lepers then. Most of the bands were pedestrian at best, aurally offensive at worst. Leftfield were shambolic, tons of filler, a bit of killer, and a proper let down. We saw them about 10 years ago at Beatherder and they rocked the place. Said at the end of the Lakefest set that they were out of practice. Fucking rehearse then, like every fucker else!

To top it all off, there was an army recruitment stand, in the play area :eek: The canopy may have been removed and err, relocated, overnight by parties unknown. We'll never know for sure.

Big plus was not dying of heatstroke on stage tbh. It was also a beautiful site, we saw 3 shooting stars, that big old moon and Saturn, and had a grand time in our little bubble of good people. Don't think the Tea Tent will be invited back though!

-5/10 - would not recommend.
Brilliant review tho :D Chairs, children, dogs and Tories sums it up.

My ex, his gf (well fiancé), was involved in starting beatherder. They keep saying to me I should go and offering me free tickets. My eldest and his mate went this year. I’m not really a tent kinda gal but I’m tempted, sounds good. My lad found it eye opening this year, he’s led a pretty inner city life :D

Last edited:

My ex, his gf (well fiancé), was involved in starting beatherder. They keep saying to me I should go and offering me free tickets. My eldest and his mate went this year. I’m not really a tent kinda gal but I’m tempted, sounds good. My lad found it eye opening this year, he’s led a pretty inner city life :D
The blokes all had huge meat-and-beer bellies too, tops off.

Ah right, nice one. We've been going Beatherder since 2009. Was THE best festie I have ever been to back then, not one single dickhead. Numbers went up and so did the dickhead ratio sadly, but seems to have got its fluffiness back now. Would still prefer it to be smaller but hey ho, won't stop me going. You could always glamp, mate, but that involves me walking past at least once a day shouting THAT'S NOT FUCKING CAMPING ;) You should go though, we could have a rave together in my fave place, Toiltrees 🥰

I vaguely know a few of the Beatherder people too - some of them are ex-ravers from round my way... :hmm:
Yeah I’m not quite sure of her connection tbh. Whether it was her or her ex (her lads father) or his brothers cousins girlfriend. All I know is she was there at the start, can seemingly get unlimited tickets, and urges me to go every year :D Lovely woman. She’s got my dog Howard at the mo as I’m in the US.

Have you been? I really genuinely might go next year. See sojourner

Yeah I’m not quite sure of her connection tbh. Whether it was her or her ex (her lads father) or his brothers cousins girlfriend. All I know is she was there at the start, can seemingly get unlimited tickets, and urges me to go every year :D Lovely woman. She’s got my dog Howard at the mo as I’m in the US.

Have you been? I really genuinely might go next year. See sojourner
Yes come! And err, if there's any of those unlimited tickets going spare, you know what to do ;) :D

Oh AND - one last shitty thing about Lakefest was that it was cashless. I had to spend about 2 fucking hours fannying round creating an account and topping it up, and they claim £1 refund fee, saying it's a bank thing. My arse. With a capacity of 10 - 12k, that's a LOT of fleecing going on.

It also meant the merch bit of the Tea Tent sold virtually nothing, cos no fucker had any cash, and we ain't parting with a % of the measly amount we make on our merch!!

My step ma's, best mates son organises this so I have cheekily asked if I can get a free VIP ticket for next year!

Back
Top Bottom