Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ladybirds

frogwoman

No amount of cajolery...
Anyone else into our spotty friends? I'm not sure this is the right place but oh well.
During the lockdown a 7 spot laid eggs in our sage plant and we ended up having around 30 ladybirds in total hatching. I've always been a huge fan of them and have seen a few interesting things such as an overwintering group of several thousand 16 spots on a tree in my local park about two years ago.

In the last year I've seen a heather ladybird and Adonis ladybirds for the first time. What about everyone else?

Here's one me and a friend found while on a recording day/ bug hunt at Perivale Wood last year - Nephus quadrimaculatus (now known as the four spotted Nephus).

Attachments

• EEH_O3hVUAM0XXr.jpeg
    EEH_O3hVUAM0XXr.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 8
Matter of fact I saved one from drowning in a flooded plant-pot just this morning.Here in the Midlands we have lots and this year I am seeing very many of an attractive butterscotch hue as opposed to the blood red bugs of previous years.
It seems they are called ladybirds in English (and Marienkafer in German) because of an association in Christian countries with la vierge (cf.Wikipedia).Supposed to be lucky.

Last edited:
Matter of fact I saved one from drowning in a flooded plant-pot just this morning.Here in the Midlands we have lots and this year I am seeing very many of an attractive butterscotch hue as opposed to the blood red bugs of previous years.
oh cool <3 nice one for rescuing it! Yeah they're very varied indeed.

the orange ones are not our friends :( but the red ones are :)

That's not really true tbh. ladybirds are usually orange/yellow when they first emerge from the pupa :)
Here's an orange 7 spot which had only hatched a few days before the photo was taken.

Attachments

• 20200614_143400.jpg
    20200614_143400.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You can't really tell 'good' or 'bad' ladybirds based on colour. I got really angry with someone on instagram who killed a kidney spot they found thinking it was a harlequin :mad: harlequin ladybirds are here to stay and there's no point whatsoever in trying to kill them

You can't really tell 'good' or 'bad' ladybirds based on colour. I got really angry with someone on instagram who killed a kidney spot they found thinking it was a harlequin :mad: harlequin ladybirds are here to stay and there's no point whatsoever in trying to kill them
True. You need to question them on their values before you can judge them

i remember when they were asking us to report the spread of harlequins... happy to hear their reputation has been redeemed.

They're established in the UK and play a role in killing pests etc. They can easily be mistaken for rarer native species too.

I’m very fond of ladybirds 🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞

They look so appealing, with their most un-insect-like roundness and smart colouring. And polka dots! I think if I was in charge of designing insects they‘d look like ladybirds. Also, they’re fierce carnivores - I like them being both cute and bad-ass.

Also, they never seemed to mind being picked up and set to walk over my hand as a child. When it got to tiresome for them they would flitter away, so presumably up until then they were cool with it.

A bollard on my street was covered in harlequin larvae earlier this year, so I scooped them all up gently into a cup and distribnued them on the roses in the front garden :)

That may not have the desired result because harlequins have been known to prey on our native species, and they often carry a bacterium which is harmless to them, but kills our native species). They can also bite.

That may not have the desired result because harlequins have been known to prey on our native species, and they often carry a bacterium which is harmless to them, but kills our native species). They can also bite.
You still shouldn't kill them tho (not that I'm saying you would) they're very easily mistaken for native species and even experts can get confused. I've heard about people killing rare ladybirds thinking they were harlequins because they had never seen the type before :mad:

Back
Top Bottom