Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ladybirds take Brixton

hayduke

off-piste
Is anyone else being invaded by ladybirds?
There are twelve in my front window alone, and more elsewhere in my flat.
They are pretty dark with lots of spots. Do they nest? Might I be under attack?
I live on Atlantic Road.

Ladybird flu

hayduke said:
Is anyone else being invaded by ladybirds?
There are twelve in my front window alone, and more elsewhere in my flat.
They are pretty dark with lots of spots. Do they nest? Might I be under attack?
I live on Atlantic Road.
Do they look like this?

h_a_adult_and_pupa_small.jpg

:eek:

Recognition and distinction

Distinguishing the harlequin ladybird from other British species:
• If its less than 5 mm (1/5 inch) in length, it is definitely not a harlequin ladybird.
• If its red with precisely 7 black spots, it is a 7-spot ladybird.
• If it has white or cream spots, it is a striped ladybird, an orange ladybird or a cream-spot ladybird.
• If it is large, burgundy coloured and has 15 black spots, it is an eyed ladybird
• If it has an orange pronotum, and fine hairs all over the elytra, it is a bryony ladybird.
• If it is black with four or six red spots, two of which are right at the front of the outside margin of the elytra, it is a melanic form of the 2-spot ladybird.
Maybe they are eyed ladybirds. :cool:

They don't have white borders round the black spots so maybe they are Harlequins. Anyone know an entomologist!?

hayduke said:
They don't have white borders round the black spots so maybe they are Harlequins. Anyone know an entomologist!?
Mrs Magpie is perhaps Brixton's finest amateur entomologist. And etymologist, for that matter.

reNnIe said:
so what's the problem? i like lady birds... they're meant to bring one luck.
They are lovely, but unfortunately, harlequins are an invasive species that eat all the native ladybirds' food (aphids, mites etc) and, when that has run out, eat the native ladybirds as well! :eek: :eek:

But I suppose they are very good news for rose growers. :confused:

I was in Peckham the other day, and we noticed a strangely large number of ladybirds there too. On an industrial estate . . .

all you need to know...

http://www.ladybird-survey.org/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4348881.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/3715120.stm

http://www.nerc.ac.uk/publications/latestpressrelease/2005-15harlequinhunt.asp

How to recognise the harlequin ladybird
The harlequin ladybird is rounder in shape and slightly larger than most British species - measuring between 5-8mm.

Colour patterns vary greatly, but most harlequin ladybirds that have been found in Britain fall into three categories:

Orange with between 15 and 20 spots
Black with 2 orange or red spots
Black with 4 orange or red spots
Just behind its head it has a white plate with a big black 'M' shaped marking on it.

Thanks! They're certainly persistant. I ejected all I could find out the window yesterday and after a morning's work I find almost as many back in my bedroom.

Ladybirds need somewhere to hibernate, they like nooks and crannies. If you stick a bundle of hollow-stemmed sticks, or even rolled-up corrugated cardboard under your windowsill, or thrust into a hedge, they'll take advantage of the winter quarters. You can also buy posh multi-purpose insect housing, which is basically holes of various sizes drilled into a block or wood.

A number of dark Ladybirds have now entered the Groucho house... :eek:

Ladybirds have been in serious decline in recent years in Britain which has been put down to a number of factors, including pollution and a decline in habitat. Ladybirds have long been considered lucky which is in part due to their preditadory carniverous nature - they eat green fly and other pests in our gardens. Sick bastards have taken to taunting Ladybirds with mean and nasty rhymes about their children being burnt alive in fires. Given the very real chance of burning hybernating Ladybirds in bonfires around this time of year it should be clear why we have been desreted by our hitherto common indigenous British Ladybirds. These are red with blackspots - most usually 2 or 7. In recent months a foreign species of dark Ladybird with darker spots has settled on our shores. These are the Goths of the Ladybird world and are more likely to be seen drinking in bars in Hoxton Square with the notorious Death Watch beetle than with their colourful friendly cousins (who prefer Islington). So far these little dark Ladybirds appear to be harmless and seem to just sit there in the shadows cursing at us ever so quietly.

However, there have been recent reports of these creatures ammassing in great number, gathering as if for attack... Those with sharp memories may recall the terrible Ladybird assault on bathers on Brighton Beach in the summer of 1976. These were the gentle red ones, but boy did they bite that year. The reason for their attack has never been fully ascertained but we can be sure of one thing...if these new Goth Ladybirds attack the severity of the 1976 outrage will pale in comparison. :eek:

Mrs Magpie said:
Ladybirds need somewhere to hibernate, they like nooks and crannies.

I read that as "they need crooks and nannies".

"Wanted: child minder with criminal tendencies to watch over larvae whilst mother hibernates. Must be available for long term position."

Last night at about 9ish, my OH jumped up off the sofa wildly waving his hands in the air and screaming... "I'm being attacked, I'm being attacked" (he doesn't like insects!)...

I had simply hours of fun taking the piss when it turned out his attacker was a very pretty 2 spot ladybird!

I've heard that the ladybirds may have been feasting on bits of silver foil and squirrel droppings, leading to me to the conclusion that these are probably the first crack-addicted insects to appear in Brixton....

Brixton Hatter said:
I've heard that the ladybirds may have been feasting on bits of silver foil and squirrel droppings, leading to me to the conclusion that these are probably the first crack-addicted insects to appear in Brixton....

:D :D

I know I'm in danger of being accused of being anti-ladybird, but are these invasions really normal? I just opened my back window and about thirty fell into the frame. I guess I'm not bothered if they want to attempt to hibernate in my property as long as they don't cause any damage. They won't start eating my clothes or anything will they?
At the moment they all seem to be stoned out their brains, crawling around confused and flying into me and landing on my head etc. I like company as much as the next man but this is getting a little ridiculous!

Back
Top Bottom