Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

Seldon, you will never understand how the spirit of the law accords to its letter if you insist on pedantry.
Wise you are yet there is wisdom yet for you to accumulate. There are wheels but there are wheels within wheels.

We are all flawed, but there is a germ worth knowing and cosseting in almost every one of us. Yea, even coppers and Tory councillors. I cannot afford to start writing people off on the basis of finding something about them I don't like; I would be left a man alone.

Wise you are yet there is wisdom yet for you to accumulate. There are wheels but there are wheels within wheels.

We are all flawed, but there is a germ worth knowing and cosseting in almost every one of us. Yea, even coppers and Tory councillors. I cannot afford to start writing people off on the basis of finding something about them I don't like; I would be left a man alone.
you know if his boss asked that copper would boot your front door in mob handed, drag you out feet first and generally put the terror on you right?

you know if his boss asked that copper would boot your front door in mob handed, drag you out feet first and generally put the terror on you right?
Wrong force. But in principle, yes. Such is the reality of living life in a country with a police force. And it would happen regardless of whether or not we spent time together, so what have I lost? I could also point out that more realistically, he puts himself in physical danger on a daily basis to stop some really violent people repeating really violent acts. But that really wouldn't be the point either, because that is also not why I do or don't spend time with him.

The choices aren't between closest best friends and total cold shoulder. I can find reasons to avoid anybody if I go looking for them. On balance, it's better to get on with those around you on their own merits, within the boundaries of much they are personally a cunt.

This is what gets me with the ex coppers at work, knowing that they would smack me with shields and batons whilst on public order duty, and for all I know actually did. I can never be proper friends with someone that I know would kick the crap out of me cos they are ordered to.

This is what gets me with the ex coppers at work, knowing that they would smack me with shields and batons whilst on public order duty, and for all I know actually did. I can never be proper friends with someone that I know would kick the crap out of me cos they are ordered to.

There's plenty of people who aren't coppers who'd do that if push came to shove.

Define "proper friends".
At work I can be friendly with them, beyond being polite/professional, they're perfectly decent people in that context, but I'd never choose to spend time with them and will not think about keeping in touch after they/i leave

E2a there have been people in previous jobs I wouldn't speak to about anything except when I had to for work, that I wouldn't go for a drink after work if they were coming, and that I'd refuse to rep for in an employer dispute, not the case here with the ex coppers.

people you trust to have your back
Will you only drink with those who you trust to have your back?

Extend it -- will you only drink with those you trust to have your back in every circumstance? What about in every circumstance regardless of what you may have done?
At work I can be friendly with them, beyond being polite/professional, they're perfectly decent people in that context, but I'd never choose to spend time with them and will not think about keeping in touch after they/i leave

E2a there have been people in previous jobs I wouldn't speak to about anything except when I had to for work, that I wouldn't go for a drink after work if they were coming, and that I'd refuse to rep for in an employer dispute, not the case here with the ex coppers.
So you would have a drink with them.

If you lived down the road from them, you might even have a regular drink with them.

I disagree with the black and white context dotty is framing.

Will you only drink with those who you trust to have your back?

Extend it -- will you only drink with those you trust to have your back in every circumstance? What about in every circumstance regardless of what you may have done?
So you would have a drink with them.

If you lived down the road from them, you might even have a regular drink with them.

Yes, I'll have a drink with them after work. No I wouldn't if they lived down the street with me, I wouldn't talk to them in the pub unless it was about some kind of residents issue.
Bit easier in a city than in a little village though, where the community is too small to really be able to ignore anyone like that.

In a bizarre way this does feel very reminiscent of Farage, only the nutters are still on the right (of course, I would say that...). The more his detractors cry fear and woe, the more they throw mud, the stronger his support becomes.

It depends if the mud slinging chimes with public perception. The Tony Blair demon eyes campaign for example had little effect. Most people don't know who Corbyn is yet and I can't make up my mind how he and his politics will play. Unlike Burnham and Cooper, who's leadership would be met with apathy, indifference and a gut feeling they don't know what they're talking about or even believe in what they're saying.

Confronting Cameron at PMQs will be interesting, Corbyn doesn't suffer fools gladly but however good he is Cameron will respond in the same way by shouting the same words: 'Hamas' 'IRA' 'printing money' 'Greece' '1970s' 'trade unions'.

than in a little village though,
coppers have their own pubs as well, places where our tax money goes on pints of bitter and whiskey chasers. I only clocked the n'pton local plod watering hole because after kelvin (black) said he wouldn't go there cos its a racist pub. Then when I was in there to watch me bro play I'm hearing all sorts of shop talk and acronymics from the boys at the bar grimly drinking away memories. Felt well uncomfortable.

Former cops can reform, I'd imagine, though I'd still be wary round them. Serving ones though... I'd probably manage cordial if forced into the situation but I'd not do it off my own bat. And not just because I know they'd smack me about if a superior told them to, I'd find it impossible to relax and say what was on my mind - it'd ruin the pint.

Former cops can reform, I'd imagine, though I'd still be wary round them. Serving ones though... I'd probably manage cordial if forced into the situation but I'd not do it off my own bat. And not just because I know they'd smack me about if a superior told them to, I'd find it impossible to relax and say what was on my mind - it'd ruin the pint.
On the other hand, coppers have the best stories. That's why they make so many dramas about them.

Tbh someone like dotty whose been in jail etc its totally understandable why they wouldnt want to act nicey nicey with cops, not really much to do with black and white framing in this case i reckon.

i would feel uncomfortable with it too tbh. Though i fully understand that if someones only experience of the cops is neutral or positive then they wouldnt have such a massive issue with it.

Tbh someone like dotty whose been in jail etc its totally understandable why they wouldnt want to act nicey nicey with cops, not really much to do with black and white framing in this case i reckon.

i would feel uncomfortable with it too tbh. Though i fully understand that if someones only experience of the cops is neutral or positive then they wouldnt have such a massive issue with it.
framing and cops in the same sentence? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom