Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

King's Cross - events, photos, news, Coal Drops Yard and redevelopment

Up the road on York Way, EGG nightclub is trying to raise £200k to survive. Developers will be eyeing it for flats no doubt, with the proximity to the shiny new places a major draw
I'm surprised it's still there even before all this bullshit.

I remember first time going to EGG the whole area around it was just deserted wasteland. Now there are fucking fancy flats all around it.

Even if it survives this, it wont last much longer.

I remember first time going to EGG the whole area around it was just deserted wasteland. Now there are fucking fancy flats all around it.

Even if it survives this, it wont last much longer.
I know the estate opposite EGG (used to work on it ) most weekends we would get complaints about club goers parking on the estate, pissing or shitting in the gardens or car park & waking people up when they left the club. So it wasn't exactly a wasteland before.

I genuinely never noticed any buildings around EGG the first few times i went. I stand correceted.

I would still be minded to take the complaints with a small pinch of salt though. Who leaves a nightclub and suddenly decides that they need to shit there and then, in a bush?

I genuinely never noticed any buildings around EGG the first few times i went. I stand correceted.

I would still be minded to take the complaints with a small pinch of salt though. Who leaves a nightclub and suddenly decides that they need to shit there and then, in a bush?
Probably more pissing than sitting tbf , but the caretakers had the right hump about the club :D I know that some posh blocks were built opposite , a mixture of social housing and for sale , which has the potential for more complaints when the club reopens, but, there were never any complaints about the club itself being noisy , so maybe it'll be ok.

It's actually a nice place to visit when it's nearly empty (although it must be disastrous for the traders)

1608551070636.png

1608551078867.png

1608551091582.png

1995-7233_livst_dp_252.png

was a bit of a mess then - an underground station and a collection of fairly temporary buildings...

(from this page)

Before the pandemic St Pancras and Kings Cross were the 9th and 10th busiest stations in the country. In 2020-2021 they fell back to being only the 13th and 20th busiest respectively. Stratford now has more entries and exits than the two stations combined.

Barking, East Croydon and Highbury and Islington are also now busier stations than either termini on its own.

Passing through reasonably regularly between getting back to down to London and up North, Coal Drops yard is I suppose 'pleasant' enough and provides something to look around and do some retail for those stepping off the Eurostar - fine for those that like that sort of thing, it doesn't do much for me. And they're building those new flats/more restaurant space on Kings Boulevard too, which feels like just too much development. They're not attracting the likes of me anyway.

Every time I walk around that bit to kill some time waiting for my train I just yearn for the days of Bagleys! So, I head straight for Camley Street and get away from it by grabbing something to eat and drink at Camley Street and watch the narrow boats in and out of the lock. What they did with the gas holders is certainly impressive - I would like to check from inside one of the flats they've built into them, and survey London from there.

kingsx-1.jpg

kingsx-2.jpg

I think there is a crafty clothing market up at coal drops for 3 days from 2nd of Dec. More importantly, anyone know of a half decent pub in the area that shows footie?

I think there is a crafty clothing market up at coal drops for 3 days from 2nd of Dec. More importantly, anyone know of a half decent pub in the area that shows footie?
Kings Cross is stuffed full of good pubs, my favourite is probably McGlynns. Given the dates you mentioned, you mean the world cup? If so, i would assume every pub with a TV screen (even Spoons) will be showing the football since its on terrestrial.

I think the fountains in the square are the nicest thing about the development, on hot days, ordinary Kings X locals from the surrounding estates bring their small kids down there to play in them. I like the seating/steps and the big screen showings, too. I hate a lot of the new developments in London but Coal Drops is alright.

Miller's is the main football pub but busy when a big match on. The Boot could be good , less busy

Kings Cross is stuffed full of good pubs, my favourite is probably McGlynns. Given the dates you mentioned, you mean the world cup? If so, i would assume every pub with a TV screen (even Spoons) will be showing the football since its on terrestrial.
I'd echo McGlynns - sometimes they do show big screening events on huge screens in Granary Square - there's 'terracing' by the canal.

On the other hand, the British library has just received approval to build a massive extension, including a 7 level basement.

tim dunn has posted on tweeter a design for a post-1945 rebuild of Kings Cross Station (that ended up not happening)

FpGpJBUXEAQeMrs

Christ....

Whenever I visit places like Frankfurt's Old Town, and see how fittingly and beautifully they chose to rebuild areas that'd been levelled during WWII, I can't help but think how in the name of fuck did the UK get its post-war architectural vision so spectacularly wrong...

Back
Top Bottom