Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

King's Cross - events, photos, news, Coal Drops Yard and redevelopment

A rather breathless article in Guardian about the new development, glosses over the issue of private/public space and what 'affordable' housing actually means in Central London http://www.theguardian.com/artandde...kings-cross-can-other-developers-repeat-trick

Saying that I took a stroll around the (massive!) site a few weeks ago and although it's only half finished I came away thinking they'd done a pretty good job. Some bland buildings but some really well designed ones, and there's going to be a good mix of uses.
still a work in progress, Pancras Square is still just an alley way between hoardings atm - had a peep and they are landscaping some garden areas behind the hoardings - I think there is still a block to be built - Google have a block there I think, but it is either one that isn't yet finished or there seems to be space for another one to be built.

Pancras Square is opening up, there is a 60 year old Oak tree (imported at great expense from Germany) it is right next to the old German Gymnasium which is still behind hoardings. The area between the Pancras Square blocks is now open to the public, lawns and a water feature! Plus commercial units are starting to get completed - a wine/tea/coffee shop called 'Nates' I think it is a chain, there is one near Moorgate, will be opening next to the new tube entrance (near the super tunnel mentioned above)

Last edited:
Costa del Kings Cross today.

11180638_10155641387025341_6055315288027555234_n.jpg

I was up at St Martins today on work matters - could easily be the poshest university in London, certainly the new building is very smart and the shops and restaurants are super pricey - Granary Square is a private space really and an extension of the campus - so it was great to see that on this sunny day mums and dads from Somers Town and The Cally have made it their own, bringing their kids along in cossies to play in the fountains - they've completely taken over the space and totally changed the atmosphere of the square as a result. Packed full of kids and parents! Out numbering the students! Lets hope it stays that way and the university don't make up some new rule about no kids in the fountains etc

Costa del Kings Cross today.

11180638_10155641387025341_6055315288027555234_n.jpg
open to the public for swimming?

Last edited:
there are loads of St Martins students living in private halls next to me - they're nearly all overseas students and must be from well off backgrounds to afford the overseas rate fees and £190 a week for halls

Sorry, i take the retort back. I gather its full of students wuth more money than brains and clueless about what to do and not particularly bothered about having a career :facepalm:

I was up at St Martins today on work matters - could easily be the poshest university in London, certainly the new building is very smart and the shops and restaurants are super pricey - Granary Square is a private space really and an extension of the campus - so it was great to see that on this sunny day mums and dads from Somers Town and The Cally have made it their own, bringing their kids along in cossies to play in the fountains - they've completely taken over the space and totally changed the atmosphere of the square as a result. Packed full of kids and parents! Out numbering the students! Lets hope it stays that way and the university don't make up some new rule about no kids in the fountains etc

The Cally Road Kids (Bemerton) and Somertsown children are exactly the right groups to be benefitting. That is good.

The Cally Road Kids (Bemerton) and Somertsown children are exactly the right groups to be benefitting.

Last edited:
The Cally Road Kids (Bemerton) and Somertsown children are exactly the right groups to be benefitting. That is good. The working class needs to OCCUPY kings cross
it really was a cheering sight - none of the numerous and expensive redevelopments of kings cross have given anything back to the (primarily working class) locals, so it was really nice to see them getting something out of it despite the developers and the planners

It is, you have to book a slot, walked past there today - it's a lot smaller than it looks in that picture :D they are starting to open up the area behind Granary Square now - parks, sculpture stuff , street food - it's a real contrast to 90s Kings X :D

Popped up to the Square after work today ,partly to see the Christmas tree . It is encased in ice ,looks fantastic ,especially at night as it has lights :cool:

heatherwick-coal-drops-8015.jpg

It's going to be frightful. Security guard encircled fun.

Coal Drops Yard is challenging the trend of faceless, endless, mass supply and demand by redefining what ‘consumption’ means. Because to consume something fully, you must be fully engaged in the experience. And the experience is everything.

About Coal Drops Yard

As big new developments go I've got to say the Kings Cross development isn't too bad. I find myself there from time to time and there are lots of nice public areas and I've not had any issue from the security while having beers, smoking a joint etc in the park bits. I'd be curious to know which bits are actually public land vs private development. Are there any maps about detailing it?

As big new developments go I've got to say the Kings Cross development isn't too bad. I find myself there from time to time and there are lots of nice public areas and I've not had any issue from the security while having beers, smoking a joint etc in the park bits. I'd be curious to know which bits are actually public land vs private development. Are there any maps about detailing it?
No, I doubt it.

I totally understand all of the arguments about pseudo public space. However Granary Square actually works better as a public space than some genuinely public spaces. I saw this in effect this summer when the fountains are on and people came from all over the city treating as a bit of mini day out by the (not) seaside.

Back
Top Bottom