Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jean Charles de Menezes meeting tonight (reminder)

Epicurus

Dear friends,

Just a quick reminder about tonight’s campaign launch event.

It is crucial Jean's parents meet the supporters they have whilst they are in London. They will gain great strength from knowing they are not alone in their struggle for justice. Please forward to your contacts.

Shoot first: Ask questions later?

6.30-9pm, Monday 10th October
LSE New Theatre, East Building, Houghton St, EC1
Speakers will include:
Family and friends of Jean - Including Jean's parents and Giovanni da Silva (Jean's brother)
Gareth Peirce - The de Menezes family's lawyer
Irene Khan - Secretary General of Amnesty International
Bianca Jagger - Human rights activist and EU goodwill ambassador
Matthew Taylor MP - Chair of Lib Dem Party 2003 - 5
Frank Dobson MP
Yvonne Ridley - Journalist

On 22nd July, Jean Charles de Menezes was shot dead by police at Stockwell tube. His family is seeking justice and the truth about why Jean Charles was killed.

This meeting is the official campaign launch of the Jean Charles de Menezes Family Campaign.

All Welcome

Good night.

Gareth pierce wasn't as weird & liberal as i'd thought she would be, irene khan sent a replacement, bianca jagger had a pop at tony blair & called it an execution, lib dem politician went further & called it a state execution, frank dobson didn't show (wouldn't have got through the door probably), yvonne ridley just shouted at the microphone for 2 minutes, asad rehman was pretty impressive, wasted with all that respect stuff, menezes family "poor but not stupid" stood head & shoulders above the activist milieu, highlighting what a useless showers of bullshitters we really are (& like think think we're not), harry stanley campaign were there giving the word 'solidarity' some genuine meaning, good good people not dazzled by authority or showing deference to power.

They wouldn't let me hang the banner - 'jean charles : police execution - state murder' cos it was too political (!). A couple of brazilians in the audience pointed out the brazilian state have been murdering its own citizens way before us. Humility, awareness, sense of purpose, absolute defiance, a night i wish i could've been just a little bit brazilian.

Epicurus said:
Almost everyone I have spoken with has said the same about the family.

I have to agree that anyone at the meeting had to have been struck hard by the quiet humility and dignity of the family. Their expression of thanks for the support during these difficult times was absolutely gut wrenching.

BB

Agreed with all that's been said, especially about the family. Had to hold back tears last night :( I also thought the mother of Azelle Rodney, who was in the audience and spoke towards the end, was an amazingly strong woman considering she only lost her son in April (also by trigger-happy cops who put 7 bullets in his head :mad: )

And shame on the LSE for charging £1200 (£700 more than normal fee - for 'security reasons') to use that lecture hall when the SU/lecturers/departments offered to book it out for free on behalf of the organisers. Absolutely disgraceful taking that money away from a campaign that needs funds so badly :mad: :(

X-77 said:
Agreed with all that's been said, especially about the family. Had to hold back tears last night :( I also thought the mother of Azelle Rodney, who was in the audience and spoke towards the end, was an amazingly strong woman considering she only lost her son in April (also by trigger-happy cops who put 7 bullets in his head :mad: )

And shame on the LSE for charging £1200 (£700 more than normal fee - for 'security reasons') to use that lecture hall when the SU/lecturers/departments offered to book it out for free on behalf of the organisers. Absolutely disgraceful taking that money away from a campaign that needs funds so badly :mad: :(

Absolutely - it was a fucking disgrace - what did they think was going to happen? Did they think that there was going to be a riot?

Someone at the LSE should be called to account.

BB :mad:

Back
Top Bottom