Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jazz history - all of it! The Thread

Eagerly awaiting (fingers crossed) for some more from @danny la rouge on this thread sometime ;)

In the meantime, did anyone catch the Blue Note doc on earlier on BBC Four? Worth checking:

Blue Note: A Story of Modern Jazz
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05xgj01

Beeb said:
The story of Blue Note Records, the jazz label that was home to such greats as Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Thelonious Monk, Art Blakey, Dexter Gordon and Sonny Rollins.

In 1939 Alfred Lion and Francis Wolff, who had emigrated from Nazi Germany to New York, 'discovered' an American art form which at the time received little serious attention from mainstream America - jazz music. Without money or connections and speaking little English, they began to record practically unknown musicians, following their own taste and judgement. Today the list of artists who recorded for their label reads like a who's who of jazz.

A portrayal of the rise of modern jazz, the film explores a very special friendship in exile and uncompromising artistic excellence. Told by the musicians, friends, associates and fans of the Blue Note recordings from all walks of life, it recreates an era of American cultural history and is widely regarded as one of the best films ever made about jazz.

I think this thread should carry on with the story, and what a story it is. Come back Danny (im sorry i interrupted the thread earlier by the way, im three years into jazz now, and learning and LOVING all the time).

Billie Holiday learned her singing style, partly from Louis Armstrong (from hearing West End Blues on a victrola - a kind of gramaphone - around 1928) and the other singer was a lady called Bessie Smith. Here are some sounds which influenced Billie

Last edited:
1,000 Hours of Early Jazz Recordings Now Online: Archive Features Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington & Much More | Open Culture

"David W. Niven spent his life amassing a vast record collection, all dedicated to the sounds of Early Jazz. As a kid during the 1920s, he started buying jazz records with money earned from his paper route. By World War II, Niven, now a college student, had thousands of LPs. “All the big names of jazz, along with lesser legends, were included,” Niven later said, and “I found myself with a first class treasure of early jazz music.” Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke, Duke Ellington, and much, much more."

"In 2013, years after his death (1991), his collection of “Early Jazz Legends” made its way to the web, thanks to archivist Kevin J. Powers. If you head over to Archive.org, you can stream/download digitized versions of 650 cassette tapes, featuring over 1,000 hours of early jazz music".

The David W. Niven Collection of Early Jazz Legends, 1921-1991 : Free Audio : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

WTF - while I wasn't looking this thread seems to have jumped from the early 30's to contemporary footage some eight year old Norwegian girl doing sub-Stars in Their Eyes versions of easy listening tunes which were barely jazz in their original form.

I'm pretty sure that we've missed out a significant amount of Jazz history here danny la rouge. Do you have any plans to resume normal service?

I'm building up to something soon. Sorry for the break in service.

Meanwhile, why not browse the Niven archives? There's a lot of stuff there.

No need to apologise, I was just asking :)

My knowledge of jazz history pretty much starts with Birth of the Cool, before that it's a bit of a closed book, so I still have a while to wait before you get to stuff I know. I'll just have to be patient...

A Word About Choices

One of the problems of an undertaking like this is the editorial decision of what comes next, compounded by what bit of what comes next is important.

Jazz, by the time the seeds had blown out from New Orleans along with Jelly Roll Morton, Kid Ory, and all those other early travelling musicians, was not only taking root in different places, but, in those different soils, growing in different ways.

The ingredients of jazz already existed in places other than New Orleans – ragtime, blues, brass bands, dance bands – but maybe in differing proportions. In New York, blues was less important to, for example, many of the stride pianists there. They weren’t from the South; it wasn’t part of their heritage. Some, like Fats Waller, actually looked down on the blues a bit. He was more interested in different harmonic structures and saw the blues as unnecessarily limiting, and even a little bit Hick.

Not Linear

So to try to paint a picture of something linear happening isn’t really right. We aren’t talking about this following that. We’re talking about simultaneous developments, some of which cross pollinate, some of which don’t. (Or maybe not until later on when someone looks back and thinks “hey, that was cool. I can use some of those ideas”).

Also, artists develop over their lifetime. Louis Armstrong’s mature style (the post war All Stars era) is more measured, less full-on flashy, for example, but still fundamentally recognisable as New Orleans via Chicago. While others grow into something quite different over time.

Is Ellington Inevitable?

For example, it’s traditional to go to the Cotton Club and Duke Ellington at this point. But while Ellington becomes a hugely important composer and bandleader, actually his earliest recordings, though fine records in themselves, wouldn’t have stood out at the time. So is it just hindsight that sends us to Ellington at this point? There would have been no clues in his early acoustically recorded tracks that he was one to watch.

Harlem Rennaissance

Nevertheless, he did soon start making waves, and in a time and place that was starting to become more important for the development of jazz, not least because it was becoming the cultural capital for African Americans. As Terry Teachout says in his biography of Ellington, “By 1923 Harlem had replaced Washington as the unofficial capital of black America”. So, keeping in mind that Chicago and Kansas City are still there, it is to New York and Harlem that we must head next. Others may disagree with my choices. Their suggestions are welcome.

But for now, I’m winding my way towards 142nd St and Lenox Avenue: Claude McKay's novel Harlem Shadows has been published the previous year, Meta Warrick Fuller is getting noticed, and her sculpture, Ethiopia Awakening, creates a stir when it is shown at the "Making of America" exhibition in New York that year; Josephine Baker is on Broadway. It's 1923, and a little known pianist and composer called Duke Ellington arrives in New York.

1-2-227-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0a8l1-a_349.jpg

josephine-baker-cheetah-fashion-1920s.jpg

new-negro1.jpg

Duke Ellington

(part one)

713566_orig.jpg

Edward Kennedy “Duke” Ellington was born in Washington DC in 1899. All the books say he was born into a “middle class” black family. Ellington’s father, James Edward Ellington, born in South Carolina, settled in Washington looking for work. He held a number of unstable jobs as a driver, caterer, and household servant, eventually becoming a servant to a man who appears to have been a “society” doctor - one Dr Middleton F. Cuthbert - at length rising to become his butler. How that counts as a middle class background – son of a servant – isn’t at all clear.

Booker T Washinton’s influence

Both of Ellington’s parents appear to have been adherents of Booker T. Washington, believing in cultural and educational “self-improvement” for African Americans as the gradual road to equality. The idea was to show that blacks could be cultured, responsible and competent, confounding the racist stereotypes, and thus prove themselves worthy of equal treatment in law. Perhaps it’s this vision of the polite, piano-playing, well-dressed senior Ellingtons that counts as “middle class” to American writers. Ellington junior seems to have imbued from this background a belief in a particular version of dignity and pride as the way of confirming that he was anyone’s equal. The way he carried himself is how he got the nickname “Duke”.

Sign-painting day job

While working as a sign-painter, from around 1917, Ellington began working in the evening and weekends as a dance band pianist, using his sign-painting contacts to get jobs for the band. As the best booking agent the band had, he fell naturally into the role of band-leader, without deliberately having sought it out. It was a role he was good at, but seems often to have been uncomfortable with.

The move to New York, and back to Washington. And finally back to Harlem again.

In 1919, he met his long-term friend and musical partner, the drummer Sonny Greer. It was when Greer decided to move to New York to take up a job offer in a dance band there that Ellington decided to take his band to Harlem. It didn’t work out and Ellington returned to Washington.

However, after some false starts and hard times, by June 1923 Ellington’s band had finally secured some prestigious dates in Harlem clubs, and by September of that year they had a permanent residency in the Holywood Club on 49th and Broadway. During this time, they honed their art, and Ellington began adding to the size of the band, learning how to write and arrange with particular players in mind, playing to their strengths and using their individual timbres.

East St Louis Toodle Oo

In 1926 Ellington recorded the first version of East St. Louis Toodle Oo, co-composed with trumpeter Bubber Miley. Ellington was to change around the composition, its arrangement, and even the spelling over the years, but it’s the 1926 recording of it we’re going to hear now: the first of his great records.

71ZibffgxWL._SL1100_.jpg

Cotton Club

In 1927 King Oliver turned down the offer of a long term engagement at the Cotton Club, a whites-only club where wealthy white New Yorkers could pretend they were slumming it in Harlem, listen to black jazz musicians, and watch black dancers. The female dancers had to be light skinned, or in the racist language of the time, “high yellow”.

Ellington jumped in. It was to be the break that made his name. National radio broadcasts from the Cotton Club were hugely popular, and Ellington’s distinctive sound was to become synonymous with the club.

Duke-Ellington-band-Cotton-Club-NYC-New-York-Untapped-Cities.jpg

Ellington at the Cotton Club, providing music for the dance review

Creole Love Call

It was that exposure that gave Ellington’s Creole Love Call a nation-wide audience, become his first big selling record. It has the unusual device of the wordless singing of Adelaide Hall in the arrangement as if part of the orchestra. It was considered a weird and surprising effect at the time, and caused a sensation.

That same year he released Black and Tan Fantasy:

And a sound was born. He followed these up with further hits, such as The Mooch, recorded in 1928:

Like everyone's favourite nearly-dead author of fantasy books, jazz luminary danny la rouge is not getting any younger. His loyal fanbase have been waiting more than a year since the last instalment of Jazz of Thrones and, while the TV documentaries have plugged the gap somewhat, they just doesn't have the depth possessed by the written word of dlr, and so are a pale immitation.

Rumours abound that a new instalment is due to drop, but on further research this seemed to be unsubstantiated. Spread by a single poster, on a single message board, with no direct connection to dlr, it feels more like a call to action, than a report based in any truth.

Will we ever see the end of "Jazz history - All of it!"? Probably not. But there's a good chance one or two more volumes will be released, and no doubt will join their revered predecessors in the annals of forum-based jazz history. Until then, we wait...

err *bump* :)

Thanks. It got to be quite a commitment in the end and life took over. Also it was getting harder and harder to keep it linear, as the music spanned out. Such creative energy was never going to stay in boxes. (I was looking for a herding “cats” gag but couldn’t find it). I doff my cap to those who have written histories of jazz! It’s quite the feat.

Thanks. It got to be quite a commitment in the end and life took over. Also it was getting harder and harder to keep it linear, as the music spanned out. Such creative energy was never going to stay in boxes. (I was looking for a herding “cats” gag but couldn’t find it). I doff my cap to those who have written histories of jazz! It’s quite the feat.
You achieved a lot here. Thread is gold.

Back
Top Bottom