Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jazz history - all of it! The Thread

i played Billie Holiday all afternoon in my library and i swear, even turned very low, you could here her so criticised 'feathery' voice very clear, with each intonation 50 metres away.

Yeah, if you just want to spam youtube videos of people you like there's a whole boatload to threads to do that on.

Yeah, if you just want to spam youtube videos of people you like there's a whole boatload to threads to do that on.

I find her interpretations good, im hungry for new interpretations every time. Its an ideal that Billie Holiday strove for in her singing and she was right. For the record, i dont watch any of those shows and despise them. i was shocked when i stumbled across this as im a big Billie Holiday fan and happen to think this kid is wonderful. You think whatever you like, it doesnt bother me who is singing them

Last edited:
jazz-club.jpg

Jazz snobs are the biggest knobs in the world....

whenever i read the words 'jazz singer' about anyone today i laugh out loud. Im an unbelievable snob myself, but once in a blue moon, i think something modern is good.

Last edited:
im the worst....a jazz Nazi.....i cant help myself.....and i dont apologise for anything i posted....i trust my ear and its good....:cool:

anyway, heres one of my favourites, there is a deep chord within, a profound melancholy that also has joy, its bittersweet i guess..

Last edited:
Is this some sort of interlude whilst we wait for Danny to return and tell us what happened after 1932?
yes.... im not sure if danny la rouge is going to be able to pick it up though... i was going to give it a shot in the new year at some point (spring) if he doesnt, but if anyone else fancies it then great. How are you feeling about it Danny?

Cheese, you aren't a jazz nazi, believe. The evidence suggests you barely know what jazz is.

Have it your way killerb :cool:. Perhaps you would like to enlighten us all with your insights?

I'm new to jazz- find much of it dull, but I know Billie Holiday's music pretty well, you could say that im discovering it . I dont rate anyone modern i have heard. Thats what might make me a bit snobbish i guess. Dont know what your opinions are on jazz....its only music anyway.

Last edited:
Quite. If we let 6 year old karaoke singers in, what next? Michael Buble?

He is shite. You are going down the wrong road with comments like that. However, you can do what you want, and say what you want....

anyway, back to thread....

Last edited:
yes.... im not sure if danny la rouge is going to be able to pick it up though... i was going to give it a shot in the new year at some point (spring) if he doesnt, but if anyone else fancies it then great. How are you feeling about it Danny?
I'll try and get something shortly. Sorry about the delay.

But if anyone else wants to chip in, by all means do so.

He is shite. You are going down the wrong road with comments like that. However, you can do what you want, and say what you want....
Yeah, he is rubbish - but importantly, he isn't Jazz, which is why more than anything he doesn't belong on this thread. Like your karaoke singer. Jazz isn't just a collection of songs and a 'sound' - it's a way of playing music. So pop singers with a brass section and girls impersonating Billie Holiday to backing tapes on Norway's Got Talent aren't jazz.

Anyway... as for your request of modern jazz singers, I don't listen to a lot of jazz singers if I'm honest. Off the top of my head, you might like the Fire! Orchestra's album from this year, and you should definitely check out Neneh Cherry's jazz album from last year with The Thing, where she covers (among other things) the stooges and suicide...

Anyway... as for your request of modern jazz singers, I don't listen to a lot of jazz singers if I'm honest. Off the top of my head, you might like the Fire! Orchestra's album from this year, and you should definitely check out Neneh Cherry's jazz album from last year with The Thing, where she covers (among other things) the stooges and suicide...

Thanks...will check it. I love Erykah Badu and always rated her (especially her Baduizm era), but that aint jazz either i guess...she has one hell of a voice though. It annoys me when people call Jamie Callum, Katie Melua and Norah Jones 'jazz artists' - that dont sound like jazz to me, it sounds like crappy sanitised pop.

Last edited:
Have it your way killerb :cool:. Perhaps you would like to enlighten us all with your insights?

I'm new to jazz- find much of it dull, but I know Billie Holiday's music pretty well, you could say that im discovering it . I dont rate anyone modern i have heard. Thats what might make me a bit snobbish i guess. Dont know what your opinions are on jazz....its only music anyway.
Great, but why are you posting this stuff on this thread? It's pretty clear what this thread is about and personally I'd be grateful if you could stop posting off topic splurge.

If you want to post youtube links to things you like then use one of the threads which already exist for that, if you want Jazz recommendations then start a new thread asking for them.

It's not got anything to do with being a Jazz snob or Nazi or anything of that bullshit, it's just about politeness.

Great, but why are you posting this stuff on this thread? It's pretty clear what this thread is about and personally I'd be grateful if you could stop posting off topic splurge.

If you want to post youtube links to things you like then use one of the threads which already exist for that, if you want Jazz recommendations then start a new thread asking for them.

It's not got anything to do with being a Jazz snob or Nazi or anything of that bullshit, it's just about politeness.

I already decided to leave the thread, and was gonna PM Danny to say sorry for interrupting it. On with the thread, i'm leaving it now.

Back
Top Bottom