Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

James Webb: A $10bn machine in search of the end of darkness

Starboard primary mirror wing successfully deployed in the last few minute (latching to be completed).
JWST engineering ground test of starboard primary mirror wing deployment.

The NIRCam (near-infrared camera, ie 0.6-5 microns) focal plane array consists of ten 4 Mpixel detectors, so 40 Mpixel in total. There are smaller 1Mpixel detectors in other roles (eg part of the MIRI mid-infrared instrument, which covers 5-27 microns).

The NIRCam (near-infrared camera, ie 0.6-5 microns) focal plane array consists of ten 4 Mpixel detectors, so 40 Mpixel in total. There are smaller 1Mpixel detectors in other roles (eg part of the MIRI mid-infrared instrument, which covers 5-27 microns).
Blimey, my own Nikon has a 36mpx chip, I was expecting more, but I guess it isn't necessary.

Blimey, my own Nikon has a 36mpx chip, I was expecting more, but I guess it isn't necessary.
Your Nikon doesn't work at those ultra low light levels (and temperatures) in the infra-red. Bear in mind that resolution is a function of wavelength too.

In separate news, JWST engineers reckon the fuel saving courtesy the Ariane 5 launch has potentially doubled the lifetime of the observatory. (Speculation is that other elements such as the MIRI cryocooler will likely fail before that, but potentially some science observations could carry on for that long).

You can follow the mirror deployments here. Exciting.

84C5A1C1-7CF2-46A7-8923-A00D484FC1CE.png

Have just noticed that they've switched up to the high gain (Ka band) antenna now for data downlink. Currently being exercised at its lowest rate, 7 Mbps, but is selectable up to 28 Mbps.

SE L2 liberation point orbit insertion burn, MCC-2, due this coming evening (around 1900UT, 24 Jan).

MCC-2 (4m 57s burn providing a delta-V of 1.6 m/s) has just been confirmed to have been executed. JWST is now in a libration point 'halo' orbit about Sun-Earth L2. Full chilldown to operating temperature and mirror alignment will begin shortly. The Ariane 5 upper stage should shoot past L2 into a heliocentric orbit over the next day or so.

The JWST is now mirror aligned across all science instruments and early engineering images have been released, including a comparison with the previous generation of IR space telescope (Spitzer). Imaging is purely diffraction limited (ie optimal IR optical performance has been achieved for this size of telescope).
Engineering image depicting the relative arrangement of each of the JWST imaging instruments in the telescope focal plane (each slightly offset on the sky with respect to one another). Dark region 'structures' in the NIRSpec image are due to thousands of microshutters in the light path which are present to precisely (de)select individual targets for spectroscopy.
7.7 µm MIRI test image of a LMC region compared to the same field of view as seen by the Spitzer Space Telescope (at 8 µm).

Science instrument commissioning has begun (to test combinations of lenses, masks, filters and shutters). This includes calibration work that involves a thermal slew procedure - to determine how the performance profile (stability) varies with attitude pointing (as the observatory pitches between 'hot' and 'cold' attitudes).
JWST 'hot' and 'cold' attitude illustrations.

If all goes to plan, once that is complete (around the second half of June) the Cycle 1 GO (General Observers) observations will commence and shortly thereafter early release observations should be available.

Webb's First Deep Field - a NIRCam composite of galaxy cluster SMACS 0723. Note the gravitational lensing arcs. Oldest/furthest galaxies yet seen in the infrared. The field of view is roughly equivalent to the area of sky covered by holding a grain of sand out at arm’s length.
Webb's First Deep Field - a NIRCam composite of galaxy cluster SMACS 0723, featuring gravitational lensing arcs.'s First Deep Field - a NIRCam composite of galaxy cluster SMACS 0723, featuring gravitational lensing arcs.
High resolution version (30MB) to dive into.
More to follow tomorrow.
It's amazing and unfathomable and beautiful

Back
Top Bottom