Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

James Webb: A $10bn machine in search of the end of darkness

If our descendants/replacements aren't capable of interstellar travel by then, or at least terraforming another handy planet, then I doubt they will be re-plumbing their nearest star.

Why not both? If humanity does go to the stars, that doesn't mean that we will be completely abandoning the Solar system. People will still want to live here on Earth (or at least near the Sun), even if space travel becomes accessible to the ordinary person.

7 light years to climb those there peaks, happy travels!
main_image_star-forming_region_carina_nircam_final-5mb.jpg

“The Cartwheel Galaxy, located about 500 million light-years away in the Sculptor constellation, is a rare sight.”

Stunning!

“The Cartwheel Galaxy, located about 500 million light-years away in the Sculptor constellation, is a rare sight.”

Stunning!
Just look at it!

1659452515400.png

i dont know what it is but these flares really trigger some kind of pineal gland psychedelic reaction in me (a very very gentle one ;) )

Opera Snapshot_2022-08-23_172720_www.urban75.net.png

This is so cool. I wonder what other treasures we will see. Have any surprises happened yet since launch?

How far has it already travelled?

First JWST direct imaging of an exoplanet, the gas giant HIP 65426 b. Imagery at four wavelengths, the parent star (HIP 65426), about 2 solar masses, masked off position indicated by the white star symbol (★).
Exoplanet HIP 65426 b in different bands of infrared light, as seen by the JWST: NIRCam at 3 and 4.44 µm, and MIRI 11.4 and 15.5 µm, respectively. Parent star masked at position indicated by ★.
(The 'bar' features are artefacts of the JWST optics.)​
HIP 65426 b is about 6-12 times the mass of Jupiter, and 15-20 million years old (very young), orbiting about 100 AU from the parent star (around 3 times further out than Pluto is from the Sun). The whole system is 109 parsecs away (about 355 Light Years).

Last edited:
The final death throes of a Star’s life and “a preview of the Sun’s distant future…”

Back
Top Bottom