Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

It's a small world...

ice-is-forming

let me rephrase that... Fuck off
I was just at an evening work event in regional qld. The facilitators had driven up from Brisbane. One of them, a woman around ten years younger than me, heard my accent and asked me where I was from. Turns out she had migrated from Penge and had been living in a flat in the church I was christened in! Not five minutes from the house I was born and brought up in. I asked her where she was from originally and she said Bexley, a village where I lived and worked for five years.

What's your it's a small world stories? :)

Went to see a GP in Blenheim and turns out he was born in a village in Lincolnshire near where I grew up and lived in Brixton for 10 years before moving to NZ and ending up in Blenheim which is not exactly the first place in NZ where you'd think of moving to.

Went to see a GP in Blenheim and turns out he was born in a village in Lincolnshire near where I grew up and lived in Brixton for 10 years before moving to NZ and ending up in Blenheim which is not exactly the first place in NZ where you'd think of moving to.

It's such a small world :eek:

Think I've told this before, got spotted across a crowded street in Hong Kong by a bloke I'd once played against in a pub quiz back home. Probably most random.

My sister was heavily pregnant at her best mates barbecue. Gets talking to a woman about baby names and how one combination of possible names would spell Monk*, which is cool because Monk is my mum's maiden name.

"Oh that's funny" says the woman. "That's my maiden name too!"

It turns out this woman is our cousin. We only have three cousins on my mum's side and we had lost touch with all of them because my uncle was/is an unutterable shit whose ex-wives ran a mile from him, as eventually did the rest of the family. But now we have a cousin! And considering she never really knew any of us for more than 35 years, she has all these family mannerisms, gestures, even tones of voice. It's very cool.

*It's not actually Monk, but you get the point.

Was in Toronto and staying at a YMCA hostel and came back after a few drinks , got on the top buk and there some tunless strumming of a guitar from the bunk below. The tell tale signs of some hippy. Couldnt see who was in it as there was a blanket drapped over the bottom bunk prob to shut the light out. Tuneless strumming went on a bit stoppped, started so I said to whoever it was 'I'm trying to get some sleep mate' . Quiet then a bit more soft strumming/chord picking. So in the end I pulled back the blanket and said 'I've told you once now fucking stop' and saw that it was the brother of some grammar school hippy who lived in the same village as me in England .

Was in Toronto and staying at a YMCA hostel and came back after a few drinks , got on the top buk and there some tunless strumming of a guitar from the bunk below. The tell tale signs of some hippy. Couldnt see who was in it as there was a blanket drapped over the bottom bunk prob to shut the light out. Tuneless strumming went on a bit stoppped, started so I said to whoever it was 'I'm trying to get some sleep mate' . Quiet then a bit more soft strumming/chord picking. So in the end I pulled back the blanket and said 'I've told you once now fucking stop' and saw that it was the brother of some grammar school hippy who lived in the same village as me in England .
I hope you punched him :D

Was in Croatia about 10 years back and bumped into someone I'd not seen for years. We'd only got in touch 2 weeks beforehand but neither of us mentioned we were off on holidays.

Bumped into my dad's ex (my half brother's mum) in Eastbourne McDs about 10 years ago. Neither of us lived in Eastbourne at the time but the weird part was that I'd never met her before in my life but somehow she recognised/knew it was me (I thought she maybe knew my mum or something so I made out she had the wrong person and left asap :oops:)

Mustafa Hotel Mustafa (that's what it's called), Chicken Street, Kabul. February 2002.

I was in the "lounge" watching Apocalypse Now with some bearded Russian who definitely wasn't SVR when I heard a voice from reception.

IT'S FUCKIN COLD OUT THERE, LIKE.

I went out and asked the new guest exactly what part of Hartlepool he was from.

33 years ago I hitch hiked into Darwin NT and was having a meal at a truck stop, a couple of lads on another table were looking at me and eventually one of them came over. It turned out we were at the same school in the UK, although not the same year.

And another, I just moved here a couple of years ago, anyhow I met this chap, mentioned that I had just moved from Surrey, it happened he moved from Surrey a few years back, whereabouts I asked? turned out he used to live in the same street as I used to live in. Now that was odd!

Until recently I lived in the basement flat below a seriously posh house in Leamington Spa.

My uncle did his undergraduate degree at the university of Warwick, not a million miles away from Leamington. His student digs were in the seriously posh house, back in the 70s when it was subdivided into 5 flats.

Back
Top Bottom