Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Istanbul at the end of April

uk benzo

أنا ليس أمريكي
I am going to Istanbul this month for 8 days.

I've been before and loved it. But I'd like to see and do other things, as I've done all the sights that are listed in guide books.

I also love food, so any good suggestions re: eating would be great.

Thanks!

I've never been but the music scene looks amazing across many genres - I'd go to gigs or small clubs if it was me

I'd recommend doing a photo walk with Monica Fritz, you can see if she has any walks on when you're here by checking her facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/556595167718220/?fref=ts
I did the Grand Bazaar rooftops one, it was fantastic.

Look up Istanbul Eats as well. There are thousands of restaurants, what are you after? Street food, high end, fish kebabs?

Tesekur ederem (spelling?) miss direct. I will see if Monica Fritz is doing her walk whilst I am there. In terms of places to eat, street food and one or two nice places.

Street food you could try:
stuffed mussels
fried mussels with bread sauce
rice, chicken and chickpeas (not very exciting, but my favourite)
pickle juice
wet burgers
kokorec (intestines - not for everyone)

When my friends came to visit last year one night we did a street food tour all around Taksim, instead of going to a restaurant, we just sampled all the types of street food, with drinks in between each course.

As for fancy restaurants, I'd recommend you stick to Turkish.
You can go for meze and fish, my favourite area for that is Samatya, which is inside the old city walls, tourists don't go there and it's much cheaper than the same food elsewhere.

If you'd like to try food from the South East of Turkey, go to the kadinlar pazar area near Suleymaniah mosque - some interesting and spicier things on offer.

Have fun :)

Bumping an old thread as thinking about booking 8/9 days there this July by myself (first holidayed solo)

Good place to go by oneself?

8/9 days too long?

July a silly time to go?

Great place to go by yourself.
Definitely not too long. I've been here 8 years and still haven't been everywhere. You can mix up your city days with a day on the islands, a boat trip or something else.

July is hot but mornings and evenings are lovely. It's Bayram (Eid) at the start of the month but that wouldn't really affect someone on holiday.

Back
Top Bottom