Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it time to bring back the interval in cinemas?

I'd like a wee and a quite melty choc ice please.

I don't go to the cinema for anything over 1 hour 40 these days - combined fibromyalgia and neuropathies mean it's genuinely agony to sit still for the average blockbuster, no matter how enthralled by it I am.

Reasons why theatre has intervals and cinema doesn't:

Theatre is *generally* longer than cinema. Hamlet is over four hours. Many, many plays are 2.5hrs and more, whereas that's a minority and exception an cinema.

Plays are written in acts. Usually five or three (the interval generally comes after act 3 or 2, respectively), but occasionally a nice neat two acts. But structured in acts which are clear chunks of story, designed to stop the action. They are also written with the knowledge that there will be a break. Many plays build in a cliff-hanger for the end of the first half, using the interval to enhance the storytelling and atmosphere. It's a bit like when albums used to be put together so as to end the first side with a really good track. You would need to write this into films. You can't reliably reverse-engineer those moments.

You only get eight performances a week into a theatre. A cinema can easily do four screenings a day, per screen, seven days a week. The actors won't get tired. Therefore, theatre must all-but-compel its fewer patrons to buy stuff. The "interval drinks" ordering system is especially clever.

Audience nipping out for a wee at the cinema might miss stuff and distract the audience... But if they do it at the theatre, they'll miss stuff, distract the audience AND potentially distract the actors.

But then, also, the trend in theatre is to do away with the interval anyway. I've been to two or three plays in the last few years at the Young Vic alone, which have done away with the interval, preferring to take the audience on a single ride to the end. Artistically, theatrically, intervals are a bit of a PITA.

Last edited:
yeah but the people on the screen or stage are there to entertain me and as succh their personal needs are irrellevant in the face of my bladder

yeah but the people on the screen or stage are there to entertain me and as succh their personal needs are irrellevant in the face of my bladder
It's not about their needs. It's that a distracted actors gives a poorer performance. An audience is a communal entity, all with an equal right to be entertained. If you put the actors off, you make the experience worse for the rest of the audience. Frankly it's a very Tory, I'm-alright-jack attitude you're displaying here...

Another vote 'for' here. Could've really done with stretching my legs for a bit during the last Hobbit three-hour-a-thon I went to. My arse was numb by the end.

And someone with a tray of shit overpriced ice cream would be good too.

I thought many cinemas ditched intervals during the 80s because there were so many crap films that often half the audience (or more) got-up and never came back!

I thought many cinemas ditched intervals during the 80s because there were so many crap films that often half the audience (or more) got-up and never came back!
^Not sure if serious or not..... :hmm:

There weren't any intervals in the '80s. I've never been to a cinema where there was an interval, and I've been going since the very earlier '80s, or maybe earlier (I can't remember).

very few western (as in N American/European, not as in Cowboys) feature films were intended to have an interval (Gone with the wind is a notable exception, and it is very long...) . Some cinemas may have put them in but it wasn't anything like standard practice. What there was was an interval between the B movie and the Feature. I saw a film with a B reel when I was a kid (late 70s/very early 80s) but it was rare by then.

Wikipedia has this to say:

The built-in intermission has been phased out of Hollywood films, the victim of the demand to pack in more screenings, advances in projector technology which make reel switches either unnoticeable or non-existent (such as digital projection, where reels also no longer exist) and also because in multiplexes, the break gave patrons a better opportunity to sneak away to watch other pictures.[11] The last major mainstream film to feature one was 1982's Gandhi.[11]

Other notable films with intermissions include:

^Not sure if serious or not..... :hmm:

There weren't any intervals in the '80s. I've never been to a cinema where there was an interval, and I've been going since the very earlier '80s, or maybe earlier (I can't remember).

Maybe a local/regional thing because most films here that ran much longer than average had them, well into the 80s - even the obscure/art/foreign language films on cheapie-Wednesday when quite often you were the only person in the auditorium! :D

But then, most of those cinemas were older-tech. The main ones last revamped in the 70s and a few much older places that didn't last much past the mid-decade.

The mid1990s/early 00s were when those cinemas were supersceeded by large modern places.

Last edited:
What there was was an interval between the B movie and the Feature. I saw a film with a B reel when I was a kid (late 70s/very early 80s) but it was rare by then.

The Repeal of the Films Act 1960 by the Thatcher Govt in 1985 was probably the last nail in coffin for B-pictures.

Very roughly, a series of successive acts since the 1920s meant that in order to market films in the UK/British Empire, the US (really just Hollywood) film companies had to either finance or co-produce films in the UK and its territories according to a fairly strict formula for production and quota system for distribution/showing. Which meant that many of the B-Films were how they met the requirements of the act.

The year the act was repealed was very nearly the end of the British film industry - The number of films produced was the fewest in decades and many companies/studios either closed or were forced to merge.

Last edited:
They could cut down on the coming attractions a little. I don't even bother showing up at the listed time any more. The first 20 minutes is always ads and such.
But if you go in late you have to fight your through bunch of other people to get to your seat, and also it's dark so you can't see seat numbers. I like watching the trailers anyway, in case something I'm interested in seeing comes up.

They could cut down on the coming attractions a little. I don't even bother showing up at the listed time any more. The first 20 minutes is always ads and such.
they get paid to show ads and they're contractually obliged to show every specific trailer. The ads and trailers are non-negotiables.

they get paid to show ads and they're contractually obliged to show every specific trailer. The ads and trailers are non-negotiables.

Actually, they are negotiable. They have contracts that cover it. I doubt if anyone signs those contracts without negotiating first.

The trailers used to be about 1-2 minutes each. Now they run 5. There's a movement in the theater industry to cut down on the length of the trailers and cut down on the lead time before a movie appears. They want to cut them down to no more than 2 minutes and no sooner then 90 days from the movie premiere. Seems reasonable.

But if you go in late you have to fight your through bunch of other people to get to your seat, and also it's dark so you can't see seat numbers. I like watching the trailers anyway, in case something I'm interested in seeing comes up.

I have an unreasonable fear of being in large groups and trapped against a wall. I always sit near an exit. They fill up last. My friends have a running joke about it. They call it "taking the gun position." :D

Actually, they are negotiable. They have contracts that cover it. I doubt if anyone signs those contracts without negotiating first.

The trailers used to be about 1-2 minutes each. Now they run 5. There's a movement in the theater industry to cut down on the length of the trailers and cut down on the lead time before a movie appears. They want to cut them down to no more than 2 minutes and no sooner then 90 days from the movie premiere. Seems reasonable.
Well, yes, in theory, everything is negotiable. But the screening of specific trailers is part of the agreement negotiated with distributors who control how many prints of a given film you are allowed and what % of ticket sales is returned to them. If cinemas wanted to show fewer trailers, the distributors would charge them for that. However, it's also in the interests of the cinema in most cases: trailing films to encourage you to return and see them.

A couple of years ago they still had intervals in a couple of cinema's in Amsterdam. They offered just enough time to, for example, pop to the art decco bar of the Tuschinski and grab a quick beer - or head outside for a spliff if that's your thing.

So for a multiplex I'm not interested in an interval - but in a cinema with a decent bar, yes please!

Peckinpah was. ;)

good point, though. Sometimes restrictions make for better art.
And one of those restrictions could be an interval – TV shows are structured around act breaks that roughly correspond to the ad breaks. Introducing an interval to films would simply require the director and editor to work around an interesting creative restriction – that there should be a dramatic peak/cliffhanger in the middle of the film, and that immediately after the interval the pace of the film needs to be slightly different to take account of the intermission.

Lawrence of Arabia managed it, after all.

And to be honest, I was praying for one in Peter Jackson's King Kong, by the end my bladder was on the verge of exploding and I was willing the bloody monkey to fall off the building. On a related note, Peter Jackson had the opportunity to include a proper intermission on the extended Lord of the Rings DVDs, but inexplicably chose to just cut the film off at whatever point it had reached – which led to some really weird cuts.

also, and lets have it right here, filmakers are entirely precious people who think their cinematic vision is THE TRUE CULTURAL PRODUCT. Whereas most of do not agree and could stand 15 mins break. If I'm balls deep in a quality book I might hold my waters in for an hour but come ten minutes past that I will need to drain the oak, right? It's a certain arrogance to assume that your audience has the will to deal with a 2-3 hour performance without once being distracted by human needs.

I miss cinema double bills :(

Remember in the early 80's, that the cinema in Central Croydon (the Odeon? It was the one near McDonalds anyway) had a fire exit with a broken lock - you could jimmy that open, walk in, and - hey presto! - free viewings ahoy! :thumbs:

The objection to intervals for long films (2.5 hours +) has little to do with cineastes wanting "full immersion" or film-makers being arrogant about their artistic vision as Dot assumes. It's primarily driven by studios and theatres getting in enough screenings in one day.

When Hollywood does something, artistic integrity is almost never the motivation, profit is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom