Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

InterCity 125 designer Kenneth Grange knighted

That is weird! Here's the pic I actually added:

del.jpg

firky - do you want to edit your post now?

That's given me a proper laugh :D

Stuck it up in the funny quotations thread - btw!

I can understand - and I'm sure Editor can - why sites might be a bit touchy about other sites hotlinking through, but it does seem to me a bit of a shame that they tend to take such a miserablist stance on it.

Mind you, as naked ladies go, that was a reasonably tasteful one, and not too bad! It might have made some of the more hardcore trainspotters choke on their banana sandwiches, though. :)

Not for me:

hvBBC.jpg

Of course, that's the 8 carriage Eastern region set pictured rather than the 7 carriage Western region ones I was used to - but a great design nonetheless.

Lovely environmentally friendly machines.

Lovely environmentally friendly machines.
Most/all of them have had their engines replaced now making them quite a bit more efficient. I grew up living next to the east coast main line and remember the ones heading south were pretty deafening as they were still accelerating away from Newcastle. They sound a lot more subdued these days!

Most/all of them have had their engines replaced now making them quite a bit more efficient. I grew up living next to the east coast main line and remember the ones heading south were pretty deafening as they were still accelerating away from Newcastle. They sound a lot more subdued these days!

They've all been re-engined now. The MTU engines are a lot more efficient and less smoky than the old Valenta engines, but they don't sound nearly as good. I used to be scared of HSTs when I was a kid because of the scream from the turbochargers. The last time I travelled on one with its original engine, a couple of years ago, I went and leaned out of the window as it left King's Cross to hear the sound one last time. :oops: :cool:

The designer's knighthood is well deserved IMO - the HST was a superb bit of engineering, and one of British Rail's biggest successes.

During a brief - *and shall never be mentioned again* - time as a school kid spotter, I remember hearing 125s 'sing' at Paddington. The turbos made a kind of 'choir' sound.

They still run of course, but, as ed says, the carriages are all fucked up. :(

Still no fanny for me. I think I need to upgrade.

View attachment 27211
I suspect you went to the site first to find the pic, and copied the link for using in your post. So your browser is politely serving up the cached copy from the "legit" visit you made to the site, rather than revisiting it from within the Urban page. Try doing a hard reload of the page (ETA: err, that's this thread page), if it's fanny you want :)

It's a different one now :)
The fanny is dynamically generated, by a PHP script that gets invoked if you try to access the image URL from a page that isn't local to the site. So if you get fanny, you'll get multiple random fanny.

See, Editor, this is what you are missing out on! Multiple Random Fanny!

Back
Top Bottom