Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Informal chat on Teams (& Academies in general)

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
Applied for a job, working for an academy trust in a non-teaching role. I gather academy trusts are quasi public-private sector.

Anyway I’ve been invited for an “informal teams chat” before an interview. To me this screams a great way to exercise unconscious and conscious bias before a formal interview. Any thoughts?

I’d half applied to this job as a bit of interview practice as it’s at a level higher than I’d prefer to work. It has a very good salary for my line of work for the region and would if I got it I would probably move to the part of Devon it’s in as it’s approx a 35 minute drive.

Any other advice on working for academies appreciated - I’ve been for an interview at a school before (a private school which also had a charity attached) so am aware there’ll be safeguarding and prevent questions, and have a bit of experience with the idiosyncrasies that schools present eg term time contracts, annualised hours, public sector pensions.

Applied for a job, working for an academy trust in a non-teaching role. I gather academy trusts are quasi public-private sector.

Anyway I’ve been invited for an “informal teams chat” before an interview. To me this screams a great way to exercise unconscious and conscious bias before a formal interview. Any thoughts?

I’d half applied to this job as a bit of interview practice as it’s at a level higher than I’d prefer to work. It has a very good salary for my line of work for the region and would if I got it I would probably move to the part of Devon it’s in as it’s approx a 35 minute drive.

Any other advice on working for academies appreciated - I’ve been for an interview at a school before (a private school which also had a charity attached) so am aware there’ll be safeguarding and prevent questions, and have a bit of experience with the idiosyncrasies that schools present eg term time contracts, annualised hours, public sector pensions.

I've worked for several academy trusts in Devon. If you drop me a PM I may be able to provide some background/gossip on the one you're applying to.

I hate the 'informal chat' thing though. It's clearly not going to be informal for you as it affects your future, something you could reasonably be expected to take quite seriously. That's one of the things with academy trusts, they've all proper drunk the business culture kool aid and will go round the houses to act like businesses even in ways that make zero fucking sense for state schools. Example: today's staffroom gossip was about how they're hiring a marketing person full time on good pay, despite the fact they're currently expecting the resources person to double in reception, effectively doing two mutually exclusive full time jobs at once. Marketing. For a school that's already oversubscribed :facepalm:

Last edited:
They may call it an informal chat but be under no illusions you will be judged. Be sure your camera's background will be suitable, be sure no kids will come romping in while the chat is on, and I would prepare cheat sheets in case the opportunity presents and you need a quick reminder.

My background is really boring, just a couple of cupboards. I’ve never worked out how to filter it on Teams and tbh I distrust people who do! Live alone so no danger of distractions.

Usually I like a Teams interview as I can have the job spec etc in front of me and refer to notes.

I usually wear sweatpants and a fleece to keep warm, will probably pop a shirt on instead. Not a tie.

Elpenor I am sure you know this, but if you know the names of your interviewers look them up on LinkedIn and see what they have in public, you might find some useful small talk subjects and if they ask how you know just say I read your LinkedIn profile.

Cheers, I’ve done this. The interviewer has an account (I don’t) but I could find it via Google. They have a name which is gender ambiguous but fairly sure it’s a chap.

Good luck. I also work for a MAT in a non-teaching role. If I can be of any help send me a message :thumbs:

I've not done an 'informal Teams chat' but I have visited schools in advance of interview which I think is a similar thing. You can get a sense of what it's like there as a pupil and who the people are you are going to be working with. I'm not sure a Teams thing would be quite so useful! But if you're going to be based at the Trust rather than in a school then maybe they have more of a business head on.

hope it goes well

(or at least hope it gets to a point where you can make an informed choice - i've had interviews in the past where i've decided i really don't want the job and / or really don't want to work for that bunch of people)

hope it goes well

(or at least hope it gets to a point where you can make an informed choice - i've had interviews in the past where i've decided i really don't want the job and / or really don't want to work for that bunch of people)
Usually I think that about half way through the interview.

Back
Top Bottom