Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

If you are not interested in the Labour party, don't read this.

MatthewCuffe

I read in the newspaper with interest today that Labour MPs have decided to force a leadership contest so that the transition from King Kong (sorry - Blair) to King Brown isn't just two big old gorillas handing a big golden tiara from one to the other.

Lynne Jones, the MP for Birmingham and Selly Oak, has this weekend signalled her interest in standing if no other contender comes forward.

She is a left-winger who was against Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/mpdb/html/39.stm

She has told friends she hasn't got much hope, and will probably be humiliated - but is going to have a go.

(Once) Golden Brown has apparently enthusiastically welcomed the challenge "from the left". A source says that "Gordon would relish the chance to be able to demonstrate he is no leftwinger and show that he will continue the reform agenda of Blair."

So. If you fancy ID cards, Guantanamo justice, renditions, 90 day internment, a 50 year war with al-Qaeda, ASBOs, KRATOS, SOCPA, and a right old barney with Iran, contact G.B. in Number Eleven. The guy must be on the RIGHT path - he's been supping with Murdoch recently.

Otherwise, if you're currently LEFT out of proper Parliamentary representation, Lynne Jones's email is jonesl@parliament.uk and her House of Commons phone number is 020 7219 6971.

As well as Iraq, she has been against foundation drosspitals, against top-up knees-up, against the farcical 'anti-terror' laws, and for the hunting ban and equal gay rights.

If you're that way inclined, enjoy the regeneration of Labour!!! :)

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/lynne_jones/birmingham,_selly_oak

if brown does get the job which i think is not certain ,will he also have the blarite faction at his throat as well as the left .the unions are not that keen on brown and if he carries on with blairite policies he will further alienate the traditional labour voters who are at last seeing the light espicially as blair does not even pretend not to be a tory :mad:

I think thats right - what has amazed me over the last year is that the assumption has been made by Brown's people that the unions will give him backing as well as the old labour left.

Thee is no basis for this - and no basis for believing Brown would be any different from Blair. as for the unions, I think a much more pragmatic position for them would be to wring what concessions thay can from a wounded Blair on behalf of their members.

Since this is no longer about politics - what is wrong with that?

Back
Top Bottom