Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Identifying a particular loch

Guineveretoo

Mostly bewildered
Following my mother's funeral recently, we were looking at old photos, and are trying to work out which Scottish loch the attached photo was taken at.

The photo is about 50 years old, but I wonder if anyone knows where it is?

8531116444_3b61d4536b.jpg

Any other photos or clues?
Unfortunately not, since my mother is now dead! There are lots of photos, but we are not sure that they are the same loch. I just thought there was a chance that someone on here would immediately recognise that rock, which looks a bit like a beached fish/whale, and be able to identify it!

Here is another photo of us climbing what appears to be a different rock, but which may be the same loch...

8531117064_2895a3cd4d.jpg

I can't get this link to work. What should I google to find it?

it was a link to a Streetview of the bay on Google maps, I can't find an image which shows exactly what I mean but this shows you kind of the background shape, it's got a lot of big boulders on the beach

3327259508_90dd7fc2bf_z.jpg

The second shot looks west coast but apart from that no idea. I suggest tagging pogofish, I dunno how to do it though.
Sorry to hear about your mum x

I'd seen the thread before you taged me! :p

Its not Millport in that second photo, landscape is all wrong and Millport beach has a road and that concrete berm all the way round.

Could be other Clyde Islands but again that second shot looks more like Argyll or even Assynt/Coiagch to me.

Actually that's seaweed in the first photo isn't it? Should be somewhere near the coast then with tides, rather than say, Loch Lomond.

Actually that's seaweed in the first photo isn't it? Should be somewhere near the coast then with tides, rather than say, Loch Lomond.

Yup, its a bay or very likely a sea loch - which doesn't help narrow it down that much, there are a lot.

Guin - can you remember anything else that may help, like any ferries you might have used, nearby towns or if there was big boats around. Fifty years ago you would have seen a lot of shipping anywhere on the Clyde.

Yup, its a bay or very likely a sea loch
That's exactly what I was going to say when I saw the pic. The rock is less likely to be a clue (there must be thousands like that - I know one in a fresh water loch) than the shape of the headland and hills behind.

8531117064_2895a3cd4d.jpg

Is there a way of me transferring the photos to fb? I have friends on there that might have more of a clue.
Now done so hopefully someone will have a clue :)

I know nothing about Scotland or lochs, but I got a strong feeling I've been there. I can't think when, though, unless it was my one and only trip to somewhere near Dunoon. Is that possible?

I've stuck the first pic up on my facebook to see if any of my islander pals have any ideas.

The first pic is probably the best to go off, someone maybe able to identify the location by the shape of the hills in the background. I wouldn't try to identify it by the rock.

I'd probably ask in Scottish fishing forums or as someone else suggested, a geo-website.

G'luck :)

Lochinver!

Lochinvar is in Galloway or a character from Walter Scott!

But yes, it does remind me of some of the small bays and inlets in Assynt/just north of Ullapool.

Cowal/Argyll as well and fifty years ago, Cowal was a very popular holiday destination for Glasgow/Central Belt - Its become rather bypassed in the years since.

Yup, its a bay or very likely a sea loch - which doesn't help narrow it down that much, there are a lot.

Guin - can you remember anything else that may help, like any ferries you might have used, nearby towns or if there was big boats around. Fifty years ago you would have seen a lot of shipping anywhere on the Clyde.
We worked out that it was probably a sea loch from the seaweed in the photo.

My Scottish grandparents had a holiday cottage in Inverary which we stayed in often. It had no running water or electricity, so we kept the milk the stream nearby, and drew water from a standpipe.

It was wonderful, with really happy memories.

Anyway, it may be near there.

I know nothing about Scotland or lochs, but I got a strong feeling I've been there. I can't think when, though, unless it was my one and only trip to somewhere near Dunoon. Is that possible?

Yup, quite possible - Dunoon is in Cowal, Tighnabruich is not too far and its also very handy for parts of Argyll.

From Dunoon looking east, the body of water is wider than the one in the pic so I don't think it can be.

He just said 'somewhere near Dunoon'. There's any number of wee inlets/channels 'near Dunoon' that he might have had a day trip to

looks like somewhere north of Oban but south of Durness or maybe one of the the islands. I think thats probably a few thousand miles of coast :)

The sort of low lying strata/hills coming out the sea looks quite like Ardnamurchan/ the bit round Mallaig is quite low lying/rocky . As far north as Lochinver.?

(just listing places i've been camping holidays now :facepalm: )

good luck with your search !

Back
Top Bottom