Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ian Wright... what a big-headed C***, right?

LiamO

No.

What a beautiful, beautiful man... so strong, so vulnerable; so confident, so riddled with self-doubt; so angry, so at peace... and what a service he has done for every angry young man, for every one who has known the darkness - and those who share their lives.

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/ian-wright-nothing-to-something

I can't believe this brilliant film is only 22 minutes long - seemed much longer. But having said that I would happily watch a 2-hour version. I don't think you need to be a football fan to get this - but would be interested how people who know nothing about him or about football in general feel about this film.

Note to Mods: please don't relegate this important topic to the football forum... it's about so much more.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, Dexter.

I know exactly what you mean. I was never a fan of The Arsenal or Ian Wright tbh, but watching that was a visceral experience.

I haven't seen it, but I absolutely rate Ian Wright. Can't say enough good about him.

I remember watching one of those other series he made for TV, Unfit Kids, about helping overweight kids regain their self confidence and get into active sport and stuff. He really comes across as a genuinely decent guy, who despite going through all kinds of marriage problems at the time, didn't let it interfere with his helping out a lot of kids, who themselves came across as quite difficult and undeserving at times too. I'll watch this later, cheers.

No.

What a beautiful, beautiful man... so strong, so vulnerable; so confident, so riddled with self-doubt; so angry, so at peace... and what a service he has done for every angry young man, for every one who has known the darkness - and those who share their lives.

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/ian-wright-nothing-to-something

I can't believe this brilliant film is only 22 minutes long - seemed much longer. But having said that I would happing watch a 2-hour version. I don't think you need to be a football fan to get this - but would be interested how people who know nothing about him or about football in general feel about this film.

Note to Mods: please don't relegate this important topic to the football forum... it's about so much more.
Not watched it, and not able to right now.

And I expect most know I'm Yiddo through & through.

So, Ian Wright, ars*nal legend, idolised by the gooner scum - wonder what I think of him? :hmm:

Affection and respect.

Even during his playing days I found him witty, genuine, and a really entertaining guy both on and off the pitch. Should have had many more caps for England IMO. And since retiring he's struck a very good balance between speaking his mind & not being afraid to rock the boat on 'sensitive' issues, and not arrogantly shooting his mouth off as though his is the only opinion that matters. For such a loudmouth he comes across as admirably humble in some ways. He's also one of the only pundits I find worth listening to. :cool:

Camb*ll could learn a lot from him. :rolleyes:

Probably the only Arsenal player of his era and since that I've genuinely liked as both football player, and person.

The premiership could do with more characters like him. Characteristically opinionated, unafraid to speak out about racism in the game, involved with good side projects like the Unfit Kids, Football Behind Bars etc., passionate about England, and never comes over as a twat millionaire, media trained robot in interviews. Even some of his cringe telly projects like Gladiators can be excused because his good far exceeds the bad.

I just wish he played for United :D

When I worked with very young adults with psychosis in south London he came down several times and spoke with them. Did it without expecting thanks or celebrity or whatever, just cared. He was genuinely interested in them and encouraging of their futures.

He's sound.

only joking. You mean Palace of course. Bit presumptuous suggesting the whole of Sarf Lahndon was onside though.

I'm sure there were at least as many Man U fans in the area :)

Last edited:
only joking. You mean Palace of course. Bit presumptuous suggesting the whole of Sarf Lahndon was onside though.

I'm sure there werwe at least as many Man U fans in the area :)
Well they ought to, & the conversion starts here..
image.jpg

actually his memories of that day were surprisingly moving.

As was his tale of how he almost turned Palace down cos he was scared of losing his job.

not a fan of arsenal, but the ian wright days were the best of the club ive witnessed - amazing striker - check his goals compilation... amazing touch

Reactions: :-D
watching now - what a decent guy
well said

Last edited:
Reactions: :-D
Can't have an Ian Wright thread without this surely.

Actually, not as awful as I remember. Clearly pre-autotune. Been years since I heard it. Check out the meaningful talk to da kids at 2.26 "I'm not saying I'm no sinner..." and the shots of them nodding in agreement. On a par with the John Barnes rap that bit.

Last edited:
Can't have an Ian Wright thread without this surely.

Actually, not as awful as I remember. Clearly pre-autotune. Been years since I heard it. Check out the meaningful talk to da kids at 2.26 "I'm not saying I'm no sinner..." and the shots of them nodding in agreement. On a par with the John Barnes rap that bit.

he nicked those dance steps in the intro off Rick Astley :D id post never gonna give you up to prove it, but i think weve all seen it now ;)

I was going to watch that, I even signed up for catch up, but it says it isn't available in my region! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom