Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ian Tomlinson CPS verdict: "no realistic prospect of conviction"

Please stop persisting with this murder claim, e numbers, it makes you look like a plank. What this cop done was manslaughter, not murder. He should indeed be prosecuted for it and today's decision is a disgrace but then I don't think anyone's particularly surprised are they?

No in my book it was MURDER it was a pre meditated act, manslaughter is the other a plank would not know that fact just as the following was MURDER.

Scotland Yard Scot-Free

So no charges against the police for the death of Ian Tomlinson. This latest case of what many consider injustice is par for the course in action taken against Scotland Yard if we glance back through history:

In 1974, student Kevin Gately was killed during a protest against the National Front, although proving The Met were responsible for the fatal blow to his head has so far been impossible. At another National Front protest, teacher Blair Peach was killed after being hit in the head by The Met, according to eyewitnesses, but no inquiry was held. In 1985, London saw its own riots, in Brixton, following The Met's killing of black woman Cherry Groce and then, only a week later, searching the home of another black woman, Cynthia Jarrett, who died of a heart attack as a result. In 1993, immigrant Joy Gardner died of a brain haemorrhage during a raid on her flat, with three Met officers tried for manslaughter, but later acquitted. When, in 1994, asylum seeker Oluwashijibomi "Shiji" Lapite died after one officer held him by the neck while the other kicked him in the head, an inquest recorded a verdict of unlawful killing, yet no charges whatsoever were brought. In 1995, The Met fractured the skull of Brian Douglas, killing him, and Wayne Douglas died in police custody, prompting more riots in Brixton. In 1996, asylum seeker Ibrahima Sey died in custody, with no officers prosecuted or even disciplined.

While G20 policing as a whole was certainly strategically flawed and with that in mind serious injuries and even a death was perhaps inevitable, the fact no charges have been brought in this case as well only exacerbates the public's cynicism and distrust in the police force.

Source http://thenewsportal.net/?p=357566&expand and in my thoughts when The Police kill it is MURDER a pre meditated act, not manslaughter.

What we can say is that something has gone badly wrong somewhere because a jury isn't even going to get to see the evidence that exists.
I have said previously that cases like this need to be heard in public - the decision of the CPS may have been perfectly correct ... but it was done on the basis of written evidence (as opposed to oral evidence subject to cross-examination) and behind closed doors (as opposed to in a public hearing). I would suggest that in such cases the initial decision is taken and then tested in a new judicial hearing, similar to a US Grand Jury hearing, with a jury deciding, in which the evidence is heard and cross-examined in public and which has the power to overrule the administrative decision and insitute criminal proceedings. That would appear to me to be a justifiable restriction of the general rights of a police officer (or other State agent, as compared with how an ordinary citizen is dealt with as a suspect in a criminal case) in cases where the use of force (or neglect, etc.) has led to death or serious injury.

Convenient that the time-limit for a common assault charge has lapsed.
Another issue to be considered - it would be simple enough to make statutory provision for a notice to be served within a six month period in cases in which investigations into inextricably linked serious offences is continuing, the effect being that should no more serious charges be possible the summary only matters could be proceeded with despite the six month period having elapsed.

you seem to have forgotten diarmuid o'neill.

Diarmuid O'Neill (aka Dermot O'Neill) (born 24 June 1969 in Hammersmith, London, England – 23 September 1996), was a volunteer in the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA). O'Neill was killed in London in 1996 during a police raid on the hotel where he and two other IRA volunteers were staying. Due to the circumstances surrounding the killing, Amnesty International has called for a review of the police investigation into the killing of O'Neill. O'Neill was the only IRA member to be killed by police in Great Britain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diarmuid_O'Neill

It was not my article but good point

No in my book it was MURDER it was a pre meditated act, manslaughter is the other a plank would not know that fact just as the following was MURDER.

Source http://thenewsportal.net/?p=357566&expand and in my thoughts when The Police kill it is MURDER a pre meditated act, not manslaughter.

This is just nonsense and you wonder why no one listens to you?

You're saying that the cop was thinking "I'm gonna kill this bloke by pushing him over" and this is simply not true is it? There's far more effective ways to kill someone than pushing them over.

Again, i'm not defending the police at all but this is no time for hysterics and by crying murder you're coming across as hysterical.

... otherwise there wouldn't be such a gaping deficit of officers charged.
Yes there would. In "ordinary" cases there is usually a use of force by a suspect who has no lawful reason to use force at all. In cases where the police have used force there is usually a lawful reason to use some force and hence there is an additional (and unless the force used is grossly excessive difficult to overcome) burden. The law (relating to any lawful use of force generally, not specific to use by the police) is that no-one is expected to weigh the use of force to a nicety in a difficult situation with no time to think (see s.76(7) Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008 - legislation brought in to try and address the householder use of force issue). Where there is a lawful reason to use force, courts (including juries) are reluctant to convict anyone (not just police officers) who may have used a bit much (see numerous householder cases, numerous cases involving door staff, etc.).

Keir Starmer’s decision not to prosecute PC Simon Harwood, who clearly assaulted Ian Tomlinson at the G20 protest, while concealing his identity, is an outrageous scandal. It is perhaps the most shameful episode ever in the history of British justice, a system which has long held a much higher opinion of itself than it ever deserved. Today it is proved to be utterly useless and Starmer’s conduct proves him to be both incompetent and entirely unsuitable for his responsibility.

Starmer’s weasel words in his statement are truly pathetic and demonstrate weakness, a complete inability to see beyond legalese to the truth and are a clarion call for his dismissal.

We the people of Great Britain care not one jot for the disagreement between medical experts. We want this matter put before a jury.

We want PC Simon Harwood’s head. He is a murderer.

We want Keir Starmer’s head. He is an apologist for police brutality and an incompetent Director of Public Prosecutions.

http://peterreynolds.wordpress.com/...-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-british-justice/

Keir Starmer's statement explained in some detail the lengths to which they went to try and find a way to prosecute without using Patels evidence ... but at the end of the day because he conducted the first PM everything that came later was dependent on his findings because the second and third PMs were NOT dealing with the body in the state it was found and there were aspects of what was observed by Patel (such as the amount / nature of fluid in the abdomen) which were simply not there for anyone else to see subsequently.

And unlike in a case where a witness gives evidence which, if discredited, strengthens the prosecution case, discrediting him (by stressing his incompetence) actually undermined things - imagine you are sitting on a jury and you have to decide beyond reasonable doubt that there is a link between cause of death and any injury / use of force - you are entirely in the hands of the expert evidence of pathologists and any argument that the one who conducted the first examination was incompetent inevitably gives you doubts in relation to both their conclusions and the conclusions of subsequent pathologists who are acting, at least to some extent, on the basis of his observations / findings.

Or, it consistently made sure that all paths lead to patel and then chose not to challenge his PM even though he's hanging in the wind...

So can I take it that if I find myself in front of a police officer it is considered acceptable for them to let their dog bite me and then to shove me violently to the ground onto my face?

Is that really acceptable ?

So why the difference here?
I have already posted about my view of the competence of Freddy Patel and the basic issue of why he was even appointed to the case in the first place. As for the difference, without knowing the facts of the other case I couldn't say. I suspect it is because in that case there was a clear alternative cause of death observable in the second post-mortems that was not, for whatever reason, as inevitably caught up with reliance on his initial observations as in this case. It is not at all unusual for prosecutions to take place (and suceed in some cases) where there is a dispute between pathologists (or other experts) ... but each case needs to be taken on it's merits and the precise areas of dispute / agreement need to be taken into account. This case was, from the outset and even without the complication of Patel's alleged incompetence, going to be an absolute nightmare evidentially. As a senior investigating officer I am not at all surprised that there has been no manslaughter charge - I dealt with many, many non-police cases where that was exactly the same outcome (and more where we got to trial and there was an acquittal).

Yes there would. In "ordinary" cases there is usually a use of force by a suspect who has no lawful reason to use force at all. In cases where the police have used force there is usually a lawful reason to use some force and hence there is an additional (and unless the force used is grossly excessive difficult to overcome) burden. The law (relating to any lawful use of force generally, not specific to use by the police) is that no-one is expected to weigh the use of force to a nicety in a difficult situation with no time to think (see s.76(7) Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008 - legislation brought in to try and address the householder use of force issue). Where there is a lawful reason to use force, courts (including juries) are reluctant to convict anyone (not just police officers) who may have used a bit much (see numerous householder cases, numerous cases involving door staff, etc.).

In brief we're not all subject to the same law. I note the self-exculpating 'usually' used above -and the very different opposite assumption made of the public. Plenty of time to think here - in act he did it over a number of occasions.

in a case as publicised as this surely any reasonable pathologist would have realised there might be a second post mortem and retained what they found.
In a "special" post mortem that would have been absolutely the case. This was not a "special" post-mortem, it appears because at the time it was arranged (somewhat more urgently than usually the case with "routine" ones, no doubt because of the media pressure to know) the prior contact with police was not known. The exact sequence of events between death and first PM would be interesting to know - I'm not sure it is in the public domain.

... and that you've not bothered to find out if it was treated as a suspicious death and so warranted a special PM.
It's not that I have not "bothered", it's that I have no means of finding out any more than you. I have had a check through some of the stuff published at the time and now and I cannot see the point discussed in the level of detail necessary to make a firm conclusion. Accordingly the best I can do is apply my knowledge and expertise to what we know (i.e. samples not kept, pathologist apparently not on "Home Office List", no photographer / exhibits officer known to be present, etc.) and conclude that that does not sound like a "special" PM.

None of what detective boy has posted shows that the CPS had to take the decision it did.
I'm not saying that the CPS "had" to make the decision. I'm not sure they're saying there is anything that meant they "had" to make the decision. They have made a decision which they are obliged to make and they have explained the rationale for it.

It's not that I have not "bothered", it's that I have no means of finding out any more than you. I have had a check through some of the stuff published at the time and now and I cannot see the point discussed in the level of detail necessary to make a firm conclusion. Accordingly the best I can do is apply my knowledge and expertise to what we know (i.e. samples not kept, pathologist apparently not on "Home Office List", no photographer / exhibits officer known to be present, etc.) and conclude that that does not sound like a "special" PM.

It sounds like a 'special' pathologist.

So can I take it that if I find myself in front of a police officer it is considered acceptable for them to let their dog bite me and then to shove me violently to the ground onto my face?

Is that really acceptable ?
Maybe ... it depends whether the use of force was justifiable in the execution of some lawful act (self-defence, defence of another, prevention of crime, lawful arrest, exercise of various police powers, etc.) AND if it was "reasonable and necessary" to achieve that lawful aim.

In this case it appears the view of the CPS is that the use of force was excessive and, if Ian Tomlinson had not died, there would have been charges of ABH / common assault likely. (Though a Court may or may not have convicted - see the case involving Sgt Smellie)

My sincere condolences to the Tomlinson family for what must be a terrible time.

If this had been a protester who shoved an officer to the ground and that officer proceeded to die, there is little doubt there would have been an attempt to convict. The idea that the protester would walk free of any charges would be unthinkable. That alone is enough to show how far the police are estranged from the public they are supposed to serve and protect.

I'm not sure it's been much different for a long time, but what this case (thanks to the footage) has done has to blow apart the widely held belief for many people who would routinely defend the police, that this sort of thing "just doesn't happen". That's not solved much, indeed it along with the police violence against "fluffies" at demos has simply alienated another section of society. Your average beat cops job just got that little bit harder.

Perhaps there should be some grass roots movement to provide funds to the Tomlinson family so they can fund a private prosecution, because money is the only thing left that can get you justice in this country.

I note the self-exculpating 'usually' used above -and the very different opposite assumption made of the public.
It's simply a fact: in the majority of cases police officers using force are doing so purportedly to carry out a lawful act - please feel free to link to numerous cases of them simply randomly attacking people in the street for no reason. Conversely, in the majority of ordinary cases of assault the suspect cannot point to any lawful act that they are purportedly carrying out (with the exception of self-defence / defence of property cases which frequently lead to no charges / an acquittal).

It's not a fact at all. Assumptions are never fact and they are rarely if ever law.

I can point to one high profile one right now - this thread is about it. Why numerous examples of police being great makes this case any better is the sort of logic that leads well...here we are.

Why did you cut out the bit about us all then being subject to different laws?

If this had been a protester who shoved an officer to the ground and that officer proceeded to die, there is little doubt there would have been an attempt to convict. The idea that the protester would walk free of any charges would be unthinkable.
Not if the same evidential issues linking the use of force with the cause of death existed it wouldn't. Exactly the same extensive investigation and consideration of the case would have been carried out to see if the evidence was there or the case could be presented in such a way as to render a conviction likely ... but if the same conclusion was reached then the outcome would have been the same. But there would have also been an additional complication - in this case the use of force by the officer was purportedly in the exercise of some lawful power (albeit the issue did not arise as the CPS appear to have concluded it was excessive, though it would undoubtedly have been an issue raised by the defence had the matter come to trial) whereas it would be unlikely (albeit not impossible) for a protestor to be able to demonstrate that the use of force on a police officer would have been in the exercise of some lawful right / power.

At a lower level there are frequently instances of police officers being seriously assaulted (sometimes to the point where they have to be medically retired) and there being no charges pursued (or only minor charges being pursued) because of (a) evidential issues or (b) CPS decisions not to proceed on more serious charges. It is a constant issue of discussion in Police Review and similar publications but it is rarely mentioned in the mainstream media.

Because it's patent shite and not worthy of comment. There is absolutely no difference in the law at all. If you think there is please point us in the direction of it ... :rolleyes:

is it not a fact that if the shoe was on the other foot, it would have had a different outcome? If a protester had struck a police officer, and pushed them to the ground causing their death, and it's all on camera for everyone to see. Would they, or would they not get charged with killing a police officer? You're getting caught up in bullshit technicalities (aka legalise), and completly ignoring the crime that has taken place.

Because it's patent shite and not worthy of comment. There is absolutely no difference in the law at all. If you think there is please point us in the direction of it ... :rolleyes:
You pointed me in the direction of it:

Yes there would. In "ordinary" cases there is usually a use of force by a suspect who has no lawful reason to use force at all. In cases where the police have used force there is usually a lawful reason to use some force and hence there is an additional (and unless the force used is grossly excessive difficult to overcome) burden.

If someone assaults someone in that manner it should not matter who they are, the degree of violence was unnecessary. Given that this coward and bully (for that is what this man is) could attack a man from behind for no reason other than the fact he felt he could do it without remonstration form his colleagues or perhaps anyone else, is obscene.

You can explain to me your legalise and in its narrow remit it might be completely correct - but people with a sense of right and wrong can see that what happened here was grotesque and that had the roles in this instance on this day been reversed, the protester would not have got away with it. The fact others might have done and do, matters not one jot. If those images had shown a masked protester shoving over a copper who later died, he'd be looking at serving time.

but people with a sense of right and wrong can see

this is what it boils down to.

Another Blackelock fit-up attempt should be along to demonstrate the duality of the law as applied shortly. And they wonder why people cheered when Moat shot a copper.

Back
Top Bottom