Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I think I’ll have that manga: recommend something like Chainstore Man

Silas Loom

Advanced. Forthright. Signifficant.
I’m told that my teenage nephew, whose birthday approaches, is a devotee of a Japanese comic called Chainstore Man. However, other relatives have been quicker off the mark and have bought all the stories he doesn’t already have.

Shippou-Sensei and other manga enthusiasts, can you identify anything that a Chainstore Man obsessive would find equally exciting? Have any manga artists adapted Man at C&A or perhaps invented an M&S spin-off?

Do you mean..?
IMG_6031_b3968cb6-3358-450e-8e32-3dc90961976f_900x.jpg

(Sorry, can't help, my daughter is manga obsessed but a bit young for CM)

That’s probably it. Would Fire Punch, by the same author, likely appeal? Are there any Fujimoto characters who would be natural choices for a waifu pillow?

Possibly. Like I say, it's my daughter who's into manga and she's not getting into superviolent stuff just yet (though Promised Neverland has taken a turn for the violent in later issues and we've bonded over that).

Try: 8 manga like Chainsaw Man

I was really looking forward to finding out what Chainstore Man was about. :(

I was really looking forward to finding out what Chainstore Man was about. :(
チェーン店の男
Follow the adventures of street urchin Nagao Eri as he follows his dreams of creating the greatest retail empire in Yokohama.

Nah. Just a random name for a made up synopsis of a non-existent manga :D

Tbh I was hoping for something more surreal than a retail entrepreneur anyhow.
Plus there don't seem to be many, if any, Nagao Eri's out there.

That’s probably it. Would Fire Punch, by the same author, likely appeal? Are there any Fujimoto characters who would be natural choices for a waifu pillow?
There are quite a few. Chainsaw man's main motivation for a lot of the first arc is the ability to touch books.

There are quite a few. Chainsaw man's main motivation for a lot of the first arc is the ability to touch books.

What a mundane ability. This is a very confusing area. I googled my way to a Higashiyama Kobeni dakimakura, but it was expensive and I doubted that his mum would approve.

Shippou-Sensei and other manga enthusiasts, can you identify anything that a Chainstore Man obsessive would find equally exciting? Have any manga artists adapted Man at C&A or perhaps invented an M&S spin-off?

Gosh that's a big question. CSM is an interesting mix of conedy, melancholy, and hyperviolence.
It is slightly more of the mature edge of that kinda stuff.

Does he read jujutsu kaisen?

What a mundane ability. This is a very confusing area. I googled my way to a Higashiyama Kobeni dakimakura, but it was expensive and I doubted that his mum would approve.
That's the thing. The main character lived a childhood of being used by the mob so lived in squalour and had no normal human interaction. He is motivated by very mundane things. It's what a lot ofbthe comedy angle come from l. He uscmeans to be a fish out of water.

Chainsaw man

Jujitsu kaisen

Last edited:
Yeah my daughter (16) is all over chainsaw man jujutsu kaisen, one punch man and the like. I could ask her what she's into right now, she seems to a (tiny bit) ahead of the curve due to access of the latest untranslated stuff.
I'll ask her tomorrow (she's already gone to bed).

Back
Top Bottom