Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hybrid e-bike for commuting

fucthest8

Cool people die horrible, preventable deaths.
I currently use a e-bike rental scheme to cycle to work. Unfortunately, availability is often an issue and since work does cyclescheme, I've decided I might as well get my own.

I've no interest in some serious road bike, I'm just commuting. However I am used to - and prefer - mountain bikes in general, so whilst my hardcore offroad days are behind me, I want front suspension (plus my route is a mix of trail, road and cycle path, where quite a lot of the metalled portions are holey as fuck)

Budget say £1500

I'm currently thinking dear old Halfords, their Carerra Crossfire E gets pretty decent reviews and seems to fit the bill nicely, £1400

Any other suggestions or general thoughts? Again, keep in mind I'm not a fucking power ranger (my mate's nickname for all the fully lycra'd up lot) I'm a commuter. Ta.

I have the Raleigh Strada which I got for £1200 in 2018 and love it. Really solid made bike. I got it for a bit cheaper due to the company messing up so not sure if their newer models are in budget. Use it for cycling all around Bristol for work.

The one dislike I have is having to remove the battery to charge. Hoping newer models don't have this.

My partner has a step through Raleigh with panniers and I do like that too when I've had to use it. It's really heavy though.

Sorry just read your post properly and realised those bikes don't meet your needs for trail riding so ignore that.

What trails would you ride? E bikes are heavy, so for anything more than gravel paths you need massively beefed up components, so a minimum of £3500 for hardtail, £5k for full-sus.

What trails would you ride? E bikes are heavy, so for anything more than gravel paths you need massively beefed up components, so a minimum of £3500 for hardtail, £5k for full-sus.

Nah, gravel paths tops, no need for any of that. I've got a MTB if I want to do any proper offroad

Anyway, turns out Halfords only do Cycle2Work, not cyclescheme, so having to rethink. Looking at Dawes Mojav-E now ...

Nah, gravel paths tops, no need for any of that. I've got a MTB if I want to do any proper offroad

Anyway, turns out Halfords only do Cycle2Work, not cyclescheme, so having to rethink. Looking at Dawes Mojav-E now ...
Yeah I administer cyclescheme where I work and it’s basically every local bike shop except Halfords.

I've found the weight of mine (Cyrusher XF800) the biggest difference to my normal MTB (Norco Fluid HT). It's fine on most terrains but takes more effort to keep balanced and pointed in the right direction on the rough stuff. Not that I do much really rough stuff!

The other issue with the extra weight is that you need an e-bike where the assistance kicks in quickly if you start off on a steep rough uphill gradient. That's the only annoying problem I've really encountered with mine. I've accepted the poor build quality but then it was only £1,700.

Son wants an e-bike, is at lidl and it's like 5 miles tops. Idk what schemes or bikes or whatever are good. He doesn't either. I've linked both mentioned to him but didn't get far as, he's at work.

I know they top out at 250w and I know he doesn't want to spend more than is necessary. What else? Is there a reason to spend more than the 800 reduced to 600 one? Are the schemes worth bothering with? In Cornwall if that matters.

Can you charge with a standard plug? Is 4 hours charge for 18 miles OK? (Seems to fit usage for commuting but idk what'd good or bad)

Son wants an e-bike, is at lidl and it's like 5 miles tops. Idk what schemes or bikes or whatever are good. He doesn't either. I've linked both mentioned to him but didn't get far as, he's at work.

I know they top out at 250w and I know he doesn't want to spend more than is necessary. What else? Is there a reason to spend more than the 800 reduced to 600 one? Are the schemes worth bothering with? In Cornwall if that matters.

Can you charge with a standard plug? Is 4 hours charge for 18 miles OK? (Seems to fit usage for commuting but idk what'd good or bad)
Mine came with a charger you just plug into a normal socket. I'm fairly sure you can charge all of them with a normal socket - it's not like an electric car.

I think mine takes about 4 or 5 hours to charge to full and that gives me 40+ miles of range.

Last edited:
Mine came with a charger you just plug into a normal socket. I'm fairly sure you can charge all over them with a normal socket - it's not like an electric car.

I think mine takes about 4 or 5 hours to charge to full and that gives me 40+ miles of range.
That's useful as a comparison, thus was a 26kg 18mile 250w 4 hour charge.

Back
Top Bottom