Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hurricane Irene

Actually, Tropical Storm Emily had personal consequences for me. My leather hiking shoes were totally soaked from that walk back to the hotel. They were still wet when it was time to leave for Canada. I put them in a plastic bag, but didn't unpack them for a couple of days. Fucking shoes got mold on them! :mad:

I really liked those shoes.

Actually, Tropical Storm Emily had personal consequences for me. My leather hiking shoes were totally soaked from that walk back to the hotel. They were still wet when it was time to leave for Canada. I put them in a plastic bag, but didn't unpack them for a couple of days. Fucking shoes got mold on them! :mad:

I really liked those shoes.

Good leather hiking shoes are like gold. I can see why that might make you unhappy.

Good leather hiking shoes are like gold. I can see why that might make you unhappy.

The only positive: maybe now I'll be more fashionable in Montreal. Last year, I wore those shoes in Montreal. Some of the French Canadians chortled at them. They didn't seem to understand eco-chic out there in La Belle Province.

Now that the shoes have rotted, maybe I'll get something more fashionable to replace them.

Zut alors! :mad:

The only positive: maybe now I'll be more fashionable in Montreal. Last year, I wore those shoes in Montreal. Some of the French Canadians chortled at them. They didn't seem to understand eco-chic out there in La Belle Province.

Now that the shoes have rotted, maybe I'll get something more fashionable to replace them.

Zut alors! :mad:

It's not like French Canadians are trend setters themselves. Why I bet they don't own a single red-checked flannel shirt!

I don't think she was referring to the names being completely arbitrary

I may be wrong

Yes, there's no logical reason to name them by a particular gender, but they have to be named something. I suspect originally naming them for women was an acknowledgment of the gender bias I alluded to earlier that women are trouble.

Yes, there's no logical reason to name them by a particular gender, but they have to be named something. I suspect originally naming them for women was an acknowledgment of the gender bias I alluded to earlier that women are trouble.

Yes. Women as a force of nature.

I mean, how much wallop do you expect 'Hurricane Don' to pack?

Yes, I know what you were talking about! I was referring to people actually referring to the storm as "she" :D

No, it's not completely arbitrary or not, though it started out like that there are now strict naming conventions on tropical storms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone_naming#Atlantic

From 1950 the United States Weather Bureau (USWB), began to assign names to tropical cyclones that were judged to have intensified into tropical storms.[3][4] Storms were originally named in alphabetical order using the World War II version of the Phonetic Alphabet.[3] In 1953 a new set of 23 women's names were used, to avoid any confusion as a secondary phonetic alphabet had been developed.

It didn't even start out being women, but with the phonetic alphabet names.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

getimage.exe

I've been rendered utterly speachless by such an amazing example of manhood.

We're not talking about why they have stupid names. :D

*bashes head on laptop*
:D

Sorry, I'm on some pills for my asthma that do funny things to my head.

Do you not think there could be an element of old time sailors, far from home, liked using feminine naming culture so that their whole language wasn't 100% suasage fest?

Ships are 'she' too.

:D

Sorry, I'm on some pills for my asthma that do funny things to my head.

Do you not think there could be an element of old time sailors, far from home, liked using feminine naming culture so that their whole language wasn't 100% suasage fest?

Ships are 'she' too.

It's irrelevant. Cars/boats/ships etc. are supposedly things of beauty. A hurricane is alternately given a he/she name, but surely a sailor sees a hurricane as a hurricane and doesn't refer to it as a he or she depending on whether they're on a male/female name with that particular storm?

Or do they?

This is even funnier than the Muslim in the White House thread in P&P. :D

Everything is xes's fault.

But it's not. That was me getting confused (I think!). It was stuff-it who went off talking about naming conventions and confusing the whole he/she subject matter

Suppose we could blame both of them though ;)

It's irrelevant. Cars/boats/ships etc. are supposedly things of beauty. A hurricane is alternately given a he/she name, but surely a sailor sees a hurricane as a hurricane and doesn't refer to it as a he or she depending on whether they're on a male/female name with that particular storm?

Or do they?
No, we have already established that the naming principles are a separate issue from storms being referred to as she, and that the current naming system is very very recent.

Back
Top Bottom