Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you take a good photograph?

If you ask on a local Facebook group or something like that, you might find there are photography courses you can do that are short, free or close to it, and aimed at locals who just want to take a better photograph. There are still a few round where I live, surviving off funding from this being a poor area, and Leeds is the same type of place.

One I did was a walking photography course, so that's viable in covid times too. One of the photos I took was this, which I'm quite pleased with even though I'm sure it has defects. It was very much a moment in time. There weren't many homes like this in Bethnal Green during the jubilee. I like that her cheeks and top match the roses and crosses, and the expression on her face is hard to define, and you can tell that it's a council flat.

So even though I also like it because I think it's reasonably good, I like what happened to make it. Taking photos just for yourself is a great thing. I know there's a move against taking too many photos, but actually, I love occasionally scrolling back through my photo gallery and being reminded of how I lived then, the buildings I walked past, and all the little things in the background like an old phone or a sign for an internet cafe, or a framed photo or ornament that got lost in a move. So I think maybe including those inconsequential things can be one of the things that makes a great photo.

Sixtyyears (1).jpg

And this one looks so much like a desktop background image that my J thought it was one. It's not, it's a view taken from the angle at which Gracie would have seen those things at the city farm. IMG_20180907_121735379.jpg

Back
Top Bottom