Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do I get Siri to spell French words correctly?

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
First world problem.

In the car, Apple CarPlay reads me texts and I can reply using Siri. My immediate family ends our texts “bisous” or even “bisous bisous”. It’s not that important, but when sent, the spelling is butchered in a number of ways from “bee zoo” to “be zooby zoo”.

I know how to train it to pronounce names (such as the Scottish names that end in “dh” such as Eilidh), but not how to improve its spelling. Anyone know?

Probably not much help, but in his Underworld USA trilogy James Ellroy regularly uses "boocoo" as an... intensifier? (Idk, I'm not an export on words-for-words) when talking about matters involving the Quebecois character Pete Bondurant. I can't remember if he does it with any other characters, but there's definitely lots of boocoos in there. Boocoo boocoos, in fact. Looking it up, apparently it's common enough to have its own mention on wiktionary. So I think you should just leave it as it is and then explain to your family that you've taken to communicating in the style of a corrupt fictional Quebecois ex-policeman turned mob enforcer from the 1960s.

something along the lines of 'siri, when i say beezoo it is spelled b-i-s-o-u-s' perhaps. such a pity your mesmeric skills cannot be used on siri
Yeah, that sadly doesn’t work. Siri tells me “you can do that in contacts”, which I can’t because it’s not a contact. ☹️

Back
Top Bottom