Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Horror films featuring a harbinger of doom?

Cassandra is the archetypal harbinger.

Just by the way, like.

As an archetype, she (it) will pop up all over the place.

Don't they pick up a woman by the side of the road who declares they're all going to die then shoots herself? Does that count as a harbinger?

Now I think about it, did it even happen?
Just in the remake. I don't remember her saying they were all going to die though. IIRC she just babbles. Still a harbinger though

It's not explicitly stated but the inhabitants of the island are constantly attempting to block the coppers path in some form (or to take his virginity, thus rendering him useless as a sacrifice). It's his own stubbornness that ultimately leads him to his doom.

It's not explicitly stated but the inhabitants of the island are constantly attempting to block the coppers path in some form (or to take his virginity, thus rendering him useless as a sacrifice). It's his own stubbornness that ultimately leads him to his doom.
I only just twigged that some of the villagers might want to save him, esp Willow. :oops:
But I think a harbinger needs to be a single character.

I only just twigged that some of the villagers might want to save him, esp Willow. :oops:
But I think a harbinger needs to be a single character.

The word harbinger is related to the word harbour, which of course is where our Christian copper first finds himself at the beginning of the film. By not going out to meet him the locals have already made clear he is not welcome and it is only when he barks out orders at them that they take a boat out to him and so his journey begins.

Does a harbinger always have to be a person, could it not also be a thing?

american horror story does this a lot- from episode 1 season 1 where the actress with downs tells the ginger twins 'You're going to die in that house' but they go in anyway.

Might not count because: its a series.

oh and AHS deliberately uses ever single trope of the genre in new ways so...

Back
Top Bottom