Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hollywood actors strike

Yossarian

⏭️
Hollywood film and TV actors are set to go on strike for the first time since 1980 and I wish them the best of luck - not sure whether they'll call for people to boycott Netflix etc. in solidarity.

SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher said: “SAG-AFTRA negotiated in good faith and was eager to reach a deal that sufficiently addressed performer needs, but the AMPTP’s responses to the union’s most important proposals have been insulting and disrespectful of our massive contributions to this industry. The companies have refused to meaningfully engage on some topics and on others completely stonewalled us. Until they do negotiate in good faith, we cannot begin to reach a deal. We have no choice but to move forward in unity, and on behalf of our membership, with a strike recommendation to our National Board.

Good piece here from a striking writer

Nothing has moved me more during this battle than the words of Alex Aguilar, principal officer of LiUNA Local 724—the laborers of Hollywood who support the carpenters, painters, electricians, plumbers, plasterers, sheet metal workers, and other crafts in TV and film production—when he told an auditorium filled with more than 2,000 writers’ union members, “We will stand with you, we will stand behind, and if we have to, we will stand in front of you.”

...On the picket line, I’ve heard people scream at us to go back to work, police officers reprimand us for being too loud, and in one case, a white dude yelling, “Illegals are going to take your jobs!” But these outliers are washed out by the loud honks of support. The honks don’t usually come from the expensive Teslas that drive by. They come from the bus drivers, the electrical trucks, the waste workers, the big rigs—from the other union workers in the City of Angels.

Strike is over, actors won

The two sides spent the last several days putting the finishing touches on the deal, which will see the first-ever protections for actors against artificial intelligence and a historic pay increase. The deal will see most minimums increase by 7% — two percent above the increases received by the Writers Guild of America and the Directors Guild of America.

Back
Top Bottom