Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Highwaymen in Peckham

Had a fascinating day yesterday. I'm concentrating on trying to find pictures of places Mary lived and also locating them to take present day photos. First stop was the John Harvard Library in Borough, who are the Southwark local history library. They were unbeliiieeevably helpful and not only found me some excellent maps and pictures of Peckham Rye at that time, and London Bridge, but also helped me to date the volume of the memoirs that I have. It's typed and bound, not manuscript. The binding has a teeny label (which I hadn't even spotted) with the name and address of the stationer selling the bindings, and they showed me how to look them up in 19th century street directories to establish when they started trading there. So we've dated my copy to 1914 or after. Incredible detective work.

Then I went up to the City to find St Swithin's Lane, as her grandparents' lived at no 10 (long since demolished) and so did she for some time. She says that the house was between the hall of the Salters' Company and New Court, the offices of the Rothschilds. I was pretty startled to find that the Rothschilds were still there, at New Court, albeit it looks a bit different now.

new place (3) small.jpg

I also managed to find the garden of their local church, although the church itself was gone, replaced by another glass palace. I ate my sandwiches sitting on a bench there. I learnt an awful lot just by wandering round talking to people, eg the New Court security guard, and a random history student who happened to be at a nearby church.

It's bonkers how all these layers of history are overlaid on each other.

this is brilliant! Do you have more detective work like this to do? It's fascinating!
Oh yes. Today I went to Peckham and stood in what I'm 99% certain was the garden of Hanover House, her childhood home there, and is now the Lidl carpark behind Burger King. They didn't have any mini stollen :mad::mad::mad:

When I took this picture, I was probably about where the orchard, or the summer house was.
hanover house.jpg

I also went to Superdrug and bought some eyeshadow. Oh hang on, wrong thread...

Meanwhile I emailed the Rothschild Archive and got a reply that was unhelpful to the point of being almost arsey. London Metropolitan Archives next. Also I've conscripted the mandolin player to take photos so we need to sit down and pore over old maps. There are more locations and things I'd like to find if I've got time.

It's quite weird wandering round with an early 19th C eye and dismissing loads of lovely old buildings as too modern to be of interest.

I had a map from 1831 with me today on my phone. The layout of Peckham has not really changed all that much in some respects.

If it's in any way helpful to your research I've got stuff like The Survey Of London in many large unwieldy volumes. Also an awful lot of books about London generally.

If it's in any way helpful to your research I've got stuff like The Survey Of London in many large unwieldy volumes. Also an awful lot of books about London generally.
What's in the Survey of London?

It's odd, I had no idea history was this interesting.

What's in the Survey of London?

It's odd, I had no idea history was this interesting.
history is the best thing ever. I have no idea HOW they manage to kill it in schools.... I gues they have to take all the sex and death and human stuff out, leaving dates, and dullness. When you get your hands on an orig document and someone who has been dead for hundreds of years is just alive in the pages- frailties, passions, bitchiness, obsessions, everything- it is just addictive

Seeing that wiki page for the first time, I see most of it is online :) Easier for you and you can link to specific bits on your blog :)

Seeing that wiki page for the first time, I see most of it is online :) Easier for you and you can link to specific bits on your blog :)
I think if it starts in 1894 or whenever, it won't be much help as most of the relevant buildings seem to have been demolished before that.

Well, it tends not to mention buildings built after 1800, so I think it will be useful, here and there, anyway. Check out the links at the bottom of the wiki page. History Online is really useful as well.

history is the best thing ever. I have no idea HOW they manage to kill it in schools.... I gues they have to take all the sex and death and human stuff out, leaving dates, and dullness. When you get your hands on an orig document and someone who has been dead for hundreds of years is just alive in the pages- frailties, passions, bitchiness, obsessions, everything- it is just addictive

they tell a bland uncontroversial version, one guaranteed not to offend middle england, for the most part. there's none of the discovery, the debates, the controversies, and the bits that are funny, rude or downright disgusting.

The layout of Peckham has not really changed all that much in some respects.

can't remember if this has been mentioned but is there an active local history society and family history society there that you can contact?

they tell a bland uncontroversial version, one guaranteed not to offend middle england, for the most part. there's none of the discovery, the debates, the controversies, and the bits that are funny, rude or downright disgusting.

my most memorable teacher was my history teacher. I went to a Convent school - so we were all Catholic and mostly from Irish families. My history teacher was Northern Irish and we largely studied Irish history. She taught it with such passion, anger and feeling that it was electrifying. Whenever I am asked to remember a memorable teacher (more or less every INSET ever.. :rolleyes:), I always remember her. I can teach a number of subjects but I am truly passionate about one in particular and I think it is no coincidence that it is that subject I teach best.

I wasn't very good at history though... :( and somehow have married into a family of professional historians...

my most memorable teacher was my history teacher. I went to a Convent school - so we were all Catholic and mostly from Irish families. My history teacher was Northern Irish and we largely studied Irish history. She taught it with such passion, anger and feeling that it was electrifying. Whenever I am asked to remember a memorable teacher (more or less every INSET ever.. :rolleyes:), I always remember her. I can teach a number of subjects but I am truly passionate about one in particular and I think it is no coincidence that it is that subject I teach best.

I wasn't very good at history though... :( and somehow have married into a family of professional historians...

i wasn't very good at history at school.

bit better at it now

Well I got really bogged down in trying to make an ebook, which I wanted to do before publicising the website. It was extremely difficult. I managed it in the end, although there were some small formatting issues, but then distribution also seemed to be an issue, problems with copyright etc. I couldn't even upload the fecking thing to my own website for some reason.

So I went off the boil on this project really, but anyway the website is done, all the text is up there and it is at www.highwaymeninpeckham.co.uk. And if anyone does want the ebook I can email it to them, but you don't get the pictures.

Many thanks to Roy Reed for lots of code tweaking :)

I was wondering if you could send it to the libraries? They'll probably ask you to do a "talk" or something though..
Well all of the relevant libraries (Southwark, Hackney, Lambeth, LMA) helped me so I'm letting them know about it anyway. I don't think they'll want a talk, but the Peckham Society might do possibly.

Well I got really bogged down in trying to make an ebook, which I wanted to do before publicising the website. It was extremely difficult. I managed it in the end, although there were some small formatting issues, but then distribution also seemed to be an issue, problems with copyright etc. I couldn't even upload the fecking thing to my own website for some reason.

So I went off the boil on this project really, but anyway the website is done, all the text is up there and it is at www.highwaymeninpeckham.co.uk. And if anyone does want the ebook I can email it to them, but you don't get the pictures.

Many thanks to Roy Reed for lots of code tweaking :)

reading it now!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom