Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help me understand/appreciate this film

krtek a houby

Anger is Hi-NRG
A variation on the "I don't like/get this film".

There's often a temptation to get prickly and/or berate someone for not appreciating your favourite flick.

Instead, let us (on this thread, at least) be awesome to each other and help us get to know (and possibly love) those films that fill you with "meh".

Reckon people's tastes can vary a lot over time, or on second viewing. There's certainly a few didn't like on first watch and now do. And vice versa.

For example, The Princess Bride. Impeccable cast, fantasy, great director and screenwriter. Described by a mate as a Monty Python film, if done by Americans.

Watched it for the first time ever a few years back and it didn't do anything impressive. Didn't connect with it and whilst parts of it occasionally were amusing, overall, could not get the big love for it.

Defend your prized pictures, nudge us into gentle celluloid submission.

I think with a lot of films, you need to have seen them at the time of release to really get them.

I watched The Matrix for the first time only a couple of years ago and was most definitely not blown away by it.

But of course all the impact of the slo-mo bullet nonsense is long gone and the thing has been referenced to death in popular culture so its not really possible to appreciate the impact it had at the time.

I think with a lot of films, you need to have seen them at the time of release to really get them.

I watched The Matrix for the first time only a couple of years ago and was most definitely not blown away by it.

But of course all the impact of the slo-mo bullet nonsense is long gone and the thing has been referenced to death in popular culture so its not really possible to appreciate the impact it had at the time.

Completely get you there.

Although, will happily watch films made long before was born and absolutely fall in love with them.

Anyone else?

scifisam explain the awesomeness of Spaceballs to this unbeliever, if you dare ;)

I don't really expect or require everyone to love it TBH. That goes for practically any movie. I'm only annoyed if someone does the sort of thing where they deny facts, like if they don't personally think something's funny, therefore it's not a comedy. There are a few films where it's arguable (like Starship Troopers), and that's generally intentional, and some dramedies don't seem to have a lot of the -edy bit in, but some people claim that even for movies that are very clearly comedies. If a comedy doesn't make you laugh, though, fair enough, it just didn't work for you.

It's partly that I was 10 when I first watched it, and a Star Wars fan, and went with other Star Was fans to see it at the cinema, and had fantastic fun, so it has happy memories for me. But my daughter also still loves it - she's 25 now and has confirmed that she still thinks it's funny, and so do a fair few of her friends.

Over the course of time, some of it is only funny because I'm fond of it, but some of it is till actually funny as long as you like humour that's totally stupid, not deep, and also not cruel - it's quite a sweet movie, really. I still love the bit where Dark Helmet approaches breathing harshly and then takes his mask off gasping "I can't breathe in this thing!" It's kinda what I was thinking some of the time when watching Darth Vader in Star Wars.

There are lots of scenes that parody other scifi movies, like the alien bursting out of John Hurt's body, him saying "oh no, not again!" and then the alien does the "hello my baby" dance that is just bizarre.

The romance part is also the kind I like, at least in a silly comedy. And the lead female character kicks ass (and can sing bass). The lead actors mostly played it straight, with the side actors being the ones to ham it up now and then, or talk direct to camera.

Some of the effects are actually decent for the kind of movie it was as well, so visually, it works.

We're going to rewatch it now actually.

I don't really expect or require everyone to love it TBH. That goes for practically any movie. I'm only annoyed if someone does the sort of thing where they deny facts, like if they don't personally think something's funny, therefore it's not a comedy. There are a few films where it's arguable (like Starship Troopers), and that's generally intentional, and some dramedies don't seem to have a lot of the -edy bit in, but some people claim that even for movies that are very clearly comedies. If a comedy doesn't make you laugh, though, fair enough, it just didn't work for you.

It's partly that I was 10 when I first watched it, and a Star Wars fan, and went with other Star Was fans to see it at the cinema, and had fantastic fun, so it has happy memories for me. But my daughter also still loves it - she's 25 now and has confirmed that she still thinks it's funny, and so do a fair few of her friends.

Over the course of time, some of it is only funny because I'm fond of it, but some of it is till actually funny as long as you like humour that's totally stupid, not deep, and also not cruel - it's quite a sweet movie, really. I still love the bit where Dark Helmet approaches breathing harshly and then takes his mask off gasping "I can't breathe in this thing!" It's kinda what I was thinking some of the time when watching Darth Vader in Star Wars.

There are lots of scenes that parody other scifi movies, like the alien bursting out of John Hurt's body, him saying "oh no, not again!" and then the alien does the "hello my baby" dance that is just bizarre.

The romance part is also the kind I like, at least in a silly comedy. And the lead female character kicks ass (and can sing bass). The lead actors mostly played it straight, with the side actors being the ones to ham it up now and then, or talk direct to camera.

Some of the effects are actually decent for the kind of movie it was as well, so visually, it works.

We're going to rewatch it now actually.
Fair play for taking the time to explain. Not that anyone has to justify their taste in movies - thread launched in light hearted fashion.

Maybe it's the timing, as mentioned earlier. Or the mood.

Didn't see it until a few years ago and eventually caved in because of my love for Young Frankenstein (and Star Wars). Oh well.

Fair play for taking the time to explain. Not that anyone has to justify their taste in movies - thread launched in light hearted fashion.

Maybe it's the timing, as mentioned earlier. Or the mood.

Didn't see it until a few years ago and eventually caved in because of my love for Young Frankenstein (and Star Wars). Oh well.

I don't actually like Young Frankenstein. Don't dislike it, do like a few bits, and can see why people like, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

We're rewatching Spaceballs and the bit with the headphones is pure comedy that I would expect almost anyone to laugh at if they're vaguely aware of Star Wars. Doesn't mean you'll like the movie overall, though.

For example, The Princess Bride. Impeccable cast, fantasy, great director and screenwriter. Described by a mate as a Monty Python film, if done by Americans.
i have exactly this mystery, that film. One of my very favourite and most respected people, he Loves that film and on all other subjects of conversation i just either get it or else he can explain why i am wrong, and I almost always am. But this one, no.
It was just really shit? I didn't even get halfway though it because disliked so much but still:
Are there any Princess Bride fans here specifically?

i have exactly this mystery, that film. One of my very favourite and most respected people, he Loves that film and on all other subjects of conversation with him i just either get it or else he can explain why i am wrong, and I almost always am. But this one, no. It was just really shit? I didn't even get halfway though it because disliked so much but still: Are there any Princess Bride fans here specifically?

I love it but couldn't explain why in as much detail as I can with Spaceballs.

It's a very odd movie, can totally see why a lot of people wouldn't like it. I'm actually surprised I did like it. It would help if you watched the whole thing though, because otherwise what you actually dislike is half a movie. The scene I like the most (my name is Inigo Montoya) is in the second half of the movie, so you'll have missed that.

Ok I will try again, to fathom the mystery of why Princess Bride is good.
Truth is on some deep down level I don’t believe in the idea that ‘everyone has different tastes’ I just think if other people like stuff that is, imo, crap, they must be fools, but this sort of disproves it cos he’s not and he likes this terrible film.
So I need to at least sit through the whole thing without falling asleep.

Last edited:
i have exactly this mystery, that film. One of my very favourite and most respected people, he Loves that film and on all other subjects of conversation i just either get it or else he can explain why i am wrong, and I almost always am. But this one, no.
It was just really shit? I didn't even get halfway though it because disliked so much but still:
Are there any Princess Bride fans here specifically?
Afaik, it's sacred with some here. Wanted to like it, but it just more or less disappointed from start to finish. Not terrible, just never did anything memorable.

Always watch the entire film, mind. No matter what.

Nah life’s not that long, same for books, why carry on if not liking it.
It's the experience, just have to complete. Admittedly, it's more effort with books. Some are put aside "for the time being" and then suddenly, ten or twenty years pass!

I don't actually like Young Frankenstein. Don't dislike it, do like a few bits, and can see why people like, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

We're rewatching Spaceballs and the bit with the headphones is pure comedy that I would expect almost anyone to laugh at if they're vaguely aware of Star Wars. Doesn't mean you'll like the movie overall, though.
I can see Spaceballs not really being funny unless you're deeply into Star Wars, but with Young Frankenstein it makes me ask - do you like parody at all? One of the great film arguments is whether Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles is the greatest parody of all time. (YF for me, personally)

Admittedly, Mel Brooks has the sense of humour of an eight year-old but that is part of the charm.

that's one of the best bits of the film :D I laughed just reading this. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can't see the fun in this film. Son used to watch it all the time. I loved that is takes the piss out of virtually every sci fi film of that age. I'm not a fan of Star Wars at all though, so maybe that's why I like Spaceballs so much. The combing the desert bit makes me laugh too.
I have only ever seen the first SW film cos my dad took us to the cinema to see it, never seen all of any of the rest despite son being a huge SW fan. Many of the SW characters actually piss me off. Luke, CPO?(the gold one) and JarJar should all just jump in the sea imo :D

Last edited:
Ok I will try again, to fathom the mystery of why Princess Bride is good.
Truth is on some deep down level I don’t believe in the idea that ‘everyone has different tastes’ I just think if other people like stuff that is, imo, crap, they must be fools, but this sort of disproves it cos he’s not and he likes this terrible film.
So I need to at least sit through the whole thing without falling asleep.
It is a mystery. It's certainly one of my top 10 films (although part of that is to do with the part in plays in my relationship with my daughter).

There is no one reason why it's great. It's a bit like quantum mechanics. William Goldmen's writing is always good, but, on paper (did you see what I did there) this isn't his best. Other films do the breaking the the fourth wall better. The actors are all on form, and while all are solid and went on to other things none of them are magnificent. In fact there is only one truly brilliant scene in the whole film - the fight between Elwes and Patinkin. Most of the rest is competent, the Iocain powder contest is pretty good; but then the whole pit of insanity scenes drag and don't really work.

And yet, as a whole the film is, to me and many others just perfect. I watched Stardust at the weekend with my daughter again. A really good film, by all measures (Gaimen's writing, the cast, the production values, the plots the character development) a far better film. And yet. Princess Bride, though obviously coming second in every element is the better film. Maybe it's because the cast apparently had such a good time making it? It's just one of those intangibles.

Which probably explains the split in opinions. I don't think anyone would think the PB is a good film, you either think it's great (as i do) or think it's a bit meh, because it probably is.

Sorry, that probably doesn't help.

Last edited:
I don't get the Dark Knight films.

They seem self indulgent man child revenge fantasy. And yet some people obviously take far more from them?

Anyone please?

that's one of the best bits of the film :D I laughed just reading this. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can't see the fun in this film. Son used to watch it all the time. I loved that is takes the piss out of virtually every sci fi film of that age. I'm not a fan of Star Wars at all though, so maybe that's why I like Spaceballs so much. The combing the desert bit makes me laugh too.
I have only ever seen the first SW film cos my dad took us to the cinema to see it, never seen all of any of the rest despite son being a huge SW fan. Many of the SW characters actually piss me off. Luke, CPO?(the gold one) and JarJar should all just jump in the sea imo :D
Ahmed Best, the actor who played Jar Jar was subjected to relentless abuse online. He was so traumatized by the hatred that he almost ended it and nearly jumped off a bridge.

They seem self indulgent man child revenge fantasy. And yet some people obviously take far more from them?

Anyone please?
Revenge films been around for years. Westerns, gangster films etc.

Nolan's take on the costumed vigilante makes it a bit more about damaged individuals coming up against other damaged individuals. The gothic vibe of Burton is gone (as is the cartoonish look of the Schumacher films).

The Matt Reeves version is probably closest to the original detective ethos of Bob Kane and Bill Finger's vision.

Anyone please?

The politics of them is too shallow to be worth bothering with. Nolan wanted to do a realist take on batman but the fantasy element is still there in the characters' choices. Whether it's an authoritarian vigilante giving up his massive surveillance machine after using it just the once or brave cops charging an enemy force that has them masively outgunned.

I vaguely hoped the Battinson version would dismantle some of the hero stuff but if anything it got worse, with some utterly rancid messianic stuff thrown into the pointless fourth act.

I can see Spaceballs not really being funny unless you're deeply into Star Wars, but with Young Frankenstein it makes me ask - do you like parody at all? One of the great film arguments is whether Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles is the greatest parody of all time. (YF for me, personally)

Admittedly, Mel Brooks has the sense of humour of an eight year-old but that is part of the charm.

I do like parody - I mean, I like Spaceballs, for a start. I just don't really like Young Frankenstein.

Reactions: Chz
Have previously mentioned that some of the SNL cast's popular films from 40 years ago haven't aged well. Stripes, Animal House, Trading Places and Ghostbusters in particular.

Bill Murray's sex pest in Ghostbusters, the voyeuristic and rapey vibes in Animal House and the gorilla raping a guy in Trading Places just don't sit at all well when you watch them now.

I will never understand people who do that sort of thing, if you don't like a character ignore it, don't abuse the actor, that's just weird imo
It's a big thing with Star Wars "fans". See also Kelly Marie Tran and Moses Ingram.

Love the saga, but the toxic fans can make it unbearable sometimes.

Anyone please?

tbf is it the whole batman thing that you take as man child revenge fantasy.. because If you fundamentally dislike the character trying to explain the merit of Christopher Nolan take in the guy is a no win situation to being with

Back
Top Bottom