Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

help me pick a new telly from this list from the insurance company (TCL? HiSense? who?)

Throbbing Angel

uncivilly servile
Hiya
  • Old telly went kaput
  • was insured to be replaced
  • been sent a list
  • have never heard of some of the brand names so am looking for reassurance/horror stories about these lesser-known brands
So what do you think of TCL and HiSense tellies? The one that went pop was a Philips 58" which almost filled the chimney breast in the living room and I suppose that's the decider. If it is wider than the chimney breast it would look odd (would it?).

There are 2 'free' replacements and a number of 'pay extra' options. I stopped scrolling when I got to 'add £400' :rolleyes:, plus they are massive 75inchers at that point.

Ta

1694694372176.png

1694694408314.png

1694694439534.png

1694694457508.png
1694694483026.png

1694694517785.png

I've never heard of Hisense or TCL, the brands that I have heard of like Sony, LG, Samsung and Panasonics all have big markups over the freebies. Have you tried searching for online reviews of the freebies?
like on Amazon and other online retailers.

I've got a Hisense in one of the bedrooms and they are good entry level TVs . TCL aren't bad at all . Hisense has android as its os and TCL has google which means that apps on TCL will tend to load a bit quicker. You might want to try and check the apps catalogue on both? Firestick will work on both anyway.

Check number of USB and HDMI outlets on each brand Picture wise my Hisense is ok , it has several different picture settings but its not great imo in a light or sunny room.

I've never heard of Hisense or TCL, the brands that I have heard of like Sony, LG, Samsung and Panasonics all have big markups over the freebies. Have you tried searching for online reviews of the freebies?
like on Amazon and other online retailers.
Aye, doing that now

I'd chip in the extra few quid and get a Panasonic, LG or Samsung if you can.

I have heard of Hisense and they don't have a terrible reputation that I know of but as 39th Step says, he uses it in a bedroom. As it is your primary TV then if you can afford it drop some cash on a nice new telly.

58" is a weird size, don't see many of them. 65" will definitely be wider, I imagine they are all more or less the same dims though.

Hisense and TCL are both massive nowadays. as long as it has the features/apps you value, and you're not a complete picture/movie nerd, then I'd say they will be fine (and save you the extra).
I think they both sell more TVs than anyone other than Samsung nowadays. (A quick google suggests Hisense is no.2 and TCL was no.2 in 2019).

If your previous telly was a 58" Philips which just fit in the space you had, then 65" may be risking it looking a bit too big. I'd definitely get out a tape measure and check any of those 65" models won't be too big.

If you'd want to stick to 58" - then the only two options up there are Hisense, and Philips. Hisense are good and a massive brand these days. However Philips is also very nice. And has the Ambilight feature. I have a Philips TV with Ambilight and I love how it lights up the room behind it and can adjust in real time with the picture too. It also the Android operating system so has chromecast, and all the usual features.

All the brands are generally good though. The only one I wouldn't go for is LG but that's more my preference on the operating system. Samsung has the most evolved (with Samsung TV+), but if you're using it with external equipment like a Firestick of Roku then all of that is academic. Aesthetically, I'd go with Philips.

More on the Philips model in question here:

Last edited:
If your previous telly was a 58" Philips which just fit in the space you had, then 65" may be risking it looking a bit too big. I'd definitely get out a tape measure and check any of those 65" models won't be too big.

If you'd want to stick to 58" - then the only two options up there are Hisense, and Philips. Hisense are good and a massive brande these days. However Philips is also very nice. And has the Ambilight feature. I have a Philips TV with Ambilight and I love how it lights up the room behind it and can adjust in real time with the picture too. It also the Android operating systemso has chromecast, and all the usual features.

All the brands are generally good though. The only one I wouldn't go for is LG but that's more my preference on the operating system. Samsung has the most evolved (with Samsung TV+), but if you're using it with external equipment like a Firestick of Roku then all of that is academic. Aesthetically, I'd go with Philips.

I second the amblight it's a very nice touch.

If you'd want to stick to 58" - then the only two options up there are Hisense, and Philips. Hisense are good and a massive brand these days. However Philips is also very nice. And has the Ambilight feature. I have a Philips TV with Ambilight and I love how it lights up the room behind it and can adjust in real time with the picture too. It also the Android operating system so has chromecast, and all the usual features.

Ambilight is intresting of your old TV had it you could try and argue with the insurance company that to replace your old TV the new one should also have Ambilight and so they should. Provide the philips with no extra fee. No idea how successful it would be

I went through weeks of scoring reviews on different models of TV before settling on my Philips Ambilight. I'm very glad I did. Even three and a half years on the OS is very zippy and performs superbly. The remote is also nice and intuitive and doesn't feel cheap (unlike Samsung et al.)

Cheers, all - decided on the 65" LG as it fits on the chimney breast (hopefully on the same bracket/support thingy) and we already have an LG in the bedroom so we know the software and what it can/can't/won't do - which is always useful.

It'll land on Monday which will make it 6 weeks without a TV in the main room. :mad:
Fuck you Domestic & General. And fuck you Philips, too, as it was your fucking software update that bollocksed up the TV in the first place :rolleyes:

What’s the model umber for the Philips and the LG.

In the specs online you should be able to find out what the VESA mount size is and then you’ll know if the bracket will fit. They’re usually 100 x 100, 200 x 200, 300 x 300, 400 x 400.

Then you need to find out the mounting screws size. M6 is typical but not guaranteed

What’s the model umber for the Philips and the LG.

In the specs online you should be able to find out what the VESA mount size is and then you’ll know if the bracket will fit. They’re usually 100 x 100, 200 x 200, 300 x 300, 400 x 400.

Then you need to find out the mounting screws size. M6 is typical but not guaranteed
cheers - will look into this tomorrow

I'd chip in the extra few quid and get a Panasonic, LG or Samsung if you can.

I have heard of Hisense and they don't have a terrible reputation that I know of but as 39th Step says, he uses it in a bedroom. As it is your primary TV then if you can afford it drop some cash on a nice new telly.

58" is a weird size, don't see many of them. 65" will definitely be wider, I imagine they are all more or less the same dims though.
Panasonic sold their retail market brand to the Chinese years ago. It's crap, I'd take HiSense (which is half-decent kit) over it.
The only ones I'd pay extra for are LG and Samsung.

Editing to add: There is still Panasonic stuff that's Matsushita, but televisions aren't on the list.

I've got a Hisense - they are basically Samsung hardware iirc with their own software.
Very pleased with it, excellent sound quality and colour depth. The Vidaa operating system is intuitive and if you don't like it you can always use a chromecast or fire stick anyway.

Got a better telly than one of the better known brands for my budget.

Samsung and LG were well regarded when I was looking to buy my current one, although it was a bit of a rushed purchase due to my previous telly conking out just a few weeks out of warranty (I'd avoid Toshiba for that reason).

I've got a Hisense in one of the bedrooms and they are good entry level TVs . TCL aren't bad at all . Hisense has android as its os and TCL has google which means that apps on TCL will tend to load a bit quicker. You might want to try and check the apps catalogue on both? Firestick will work on both anyway.

Check number of USB and HDMI outlets on each brand Picture wise my Hisense is ok , it has several different picture settings but its not great imo in a light or sunny room.

I'm discombobulated by there being such a concept as an "entry level TV".

Avoid TVs where you can see the refection of your light. Its fucking annoying when you are watching a movie

PXL-20230924-180646367.jpg

Back
Top Bottom