Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Health Screening

hash tag

Reaching out
I have applied for and been accepted for a new job, this time outside the public sector.
This will be the first time I have gone for a job since my cancer diagnosis and treatment.
Do employers carry out routine health screening and are they likely to reject me as I might
well not qualify for a life insurance scheme?

I have applied for and been accepted for a new job, this time outside the public sector.
This will be the first time I have gone for a job since my cancer diagnosis and treatment.
Do employers carry out routine health screening and are they likely to reject me as I might
Never had that in any job i've done. Guess it might depend on the type of work though. Sounds like the sort of thing US companies might do.

Corporate private health schemes are priced on the basis of collective risk rather than individual risk, so individual health questionnaires aren’t a thing.

I rinsed the work insurance once when I got a new spine fitted and everyone else’s taxed premiums went up as a result, but only a very small number of staff (those of us who had been TUPEd from a more benevolent employer) were on the scheme.

A mate of mine had to do a drugs test. Not because his boss cared but because a customer he had to visit insisted on it. Fortunately he no longer smoked weed.
Never had to do one myself.

Drugs will not be an issue, especially bearing in mind current and prospective jobs require an enhanced DBS check.

Drugs will not be an issue, especially bearing in mind current and prospective jobs require an enhanced DBS check.
I've not smoked weed for 15 years now so wouldn't be a problem if i got asked to do that.

I think drug testing or health checking more generally is probably more a large US company thing.

I've not smoked weed for 15 years now so wouldn't be a problem if i got asked to do that.

I think drug testing or health checking more generally is probably more a large US company thing.
Donkey's years ago I worked in financial services and they were just starting to introduce drug screening.
At that time, I probably would have failed - but thats not why I left.

Goodness, this is all very stressful. I have been offered the job am now worried about meeting expectations etc.

For your purposes this is not something to worry about -under employment law cancer is counted as a disability so they can't discriminate against you because of it. Macmillan has good advice on this. It is worth you disclosing to them because of this to protect yourself:

Even if you are no longer in treatment it's still counted so please try not to worry.

For your purposes this is not something to worry about -under employment law cancer is counted as a disability so they can't discriminate against you because of it. Macmillan has good advice on this. It is worth you disclosing to them because of this to protect yourself:

Even if you are no longer in treatment it's still counted so please try not to worry.
This !

Also drug / drink testing can be applied in a number of "safety-critical" roles, especially after an incident.
[A bit like the police breath-testing drivers involved in RTAs]
Some employers will do random drug/drink tests - such as railway, bus and truck drivers.

Occupational Heath screening is reasonably common for larger employers. Unless you really can’t do the job, it tends to be about seeing if there’s anything they can do to help you. You can decline to declare health conditions but then aren’t protected by disability discrimination law. At least that’s what I’ve been told. My last job I disclosed to OH and HR but not my team.

Any thanks colacubes. I currently registered as being disabled but I did that purely to prevent discrimination and for leeway with appointments. My worry is they can easily withdraw my job offer without reason or on some stupid technicality.

They'd be mad to do so as you're now covered under the legislation. Wise to be wary but they'd be very silly to do so.

I have applied for and been accepted for a new job

:)

dunno. pre-employment health screening seems to have got less rigorous in the last few years (whether it's shortage of medical professionals / cost of actually sending people to see a doctor / post-covid stuff, i'm not sure) - i've had one where it's been something like a question 'do you have any health conditions you think might affect your ability to do this job?, if so give details' and nothing further if you say 'no'

what have they actually said so far - is this a provisional offer subject to references, health clearance and anything else like that?

general wisdom is you don't start giving notice on current job when it's still provisional.

subject to all the usual disclaimers that i'm not a lawyer etc -

as others have said, they should only ask at the application stage about whether you need any adjustments for the interview.

the equality act (which has included the disability discrimination act) says that employers shouldn't ask health questions before an offer - and after a provisional offer, there needs to be good reason for withdrawing an offer. an obvious example from my line of country would be someone might get a provisional job offer as a trainee bus driver, but their medical shows that their eyesight or a health condition means they would not get a bus drivers' licence from DVLA, in which case it's lawful for the offer to be withdrawn.

there are employers out there who haven't really got the hang of the 1970s sex / race discrimination laws, so there are employers who will come up with a reason to withdraw an offer if a health issue comes up, but they are possibly open to a tribunal (although that comes down to what you can prove)

i'm not sure about life insurance schemes - if this is something that's seen as a benefit / discretionary thing, then it may have its own conditions but that shouldn't stop you being offered the job, even if they impose some special conditions on the life insurance bit of it. i'm back in local authority now, and the pension scheme includes a life insurance element - i can't remember now if i had to do a separate medical questionnaire for that, but it wasn't anything that drastic.

i also understand that you can't claim protection under the equality act for disability discrimination if you don't declare something. however, you do have unfair dismissal protection from day one if it's on equality act 'protected characteristic' grounds.

hope all goes well.

Yep, this job and previous job I was asked if I had a medical condition which would affect my ability to carry out the job. For my last one I declared an allergy to a certain type of pet which I was cross questioned on 😱
Oh, and cheers Puddy_Tat
Fwiw. It's only a verbal offer so far, a written offer is in the post. It will be subject to references, professional and possibly personal and of course a new DBS check.

Well, I have had a written offer which is subject to references etc. and spoken to my prospective new line manager and told her about my cancer
which she doesn't see as a problem. However, the written offer mentions "medical clearance" will be carried out by "Medigold".
Goodness, I hope the job goes through and I can perform OK for at least a couple of years.
Just think, no more shifts, no more weekends and no more nights :thumbs:

I was worried about the health thing and having completed it, I'm still a little worried about it. How much time off and why, in last year, current medical conditions, mental health conditions, allergies, medicine taken medical reviews etc etc. all quite innocuous but concerning. Done by a third party as well.
At this moment, I so want the job.

I was worried about the health thing and having completed it, I'm still a little worried about it. How much time off and why, in last year, current medical conditions, mental health conditions, allergies, medicine taken medical reviews etc etc. all quite innocuous but concerning. Done by a third party as well.
At this moment, I so want the job.
Fingers crossed for you.

I declared some pretty long-term health issues in previous health screenings where doing so saved my job on at least one occasion. My boss tried to tell HR that I hadn't disclosed my health issues and HR pointedly told her I had....to them, not to her, so I was covered. Otherwise she would have insisted I was sacked.

Case law has indicated that an employer must be informed of the occupational health screening results in order for the employee to rely on that information at a later date.

It's done by a third party so your employer doesn't have to hold the information unless you disclose it to them. I have always been cleared for office work and occasional site visits with other colleagues despite all health issues.

Try not to worry, I have more than a couple of appointments this year (and the NHS decided to add mammograms in also, epic) and my employer has so far been cool.

Thanks equationgirl. I have declared everything and don't think they could refuse to accept me now. It's a job I want and can do and love for both right and wrong reasons. It is time for me to move. I know the DBS will be fine. Will I be fit enough to cope? I am loathe to let them down.
Best with everything.

Thanks equationgirl. I have declared everything and don't think they could refuse to accept me now. It's a job I want and can do and love for both right and wrong reasons. It is time for me to move. I know the DBS will be fine. Will I be fit enough to cope? I am loathe to let them down.
Best with everything.
All you can do is your best. Ask for clear objectives to be documented for your probation period and work towards them. That should make passing your probation easier.

I am rooting for you x

Following the medical questionnaire for the new employer, I have just been speaking to an ex NHS nurse from the screening company for about 20 minutes. He says that he is putting nothing in the report without my consent and ran through one or two bits for me. He gave the impression he was working for me. The cynic in me doubts this but I feel it went well. I was hoping to have started before my next set of nights which starts tomorrow, alas the enhanced DBS check only got under way earlier this week.
I'm just itching to get started and regretting I didn't go down this route many many years ago, but hey, can't look back.

Following the medical questionnaire for the new employer, I have just been speaking to an ex NHS nurse from the screening company for about 20 minutes. He says that he is putting nothing in the report without my consent and ran through one or two bits for me. He gave the impression he was working for me. The cynic in me doubts this but I feel it went well. I was hoping to have started before my next set of nights which starts tomorrow, alas the enhanced DBS check only got under way earlier this week.
I'm just itching to get started and regretting I didn't go down this route many many years ago, but hey, can't look back.
this is another reason OH is often contracted out to provide a proper seperation of the professional responsibilities that the OH professionals have as Health Professionals ( doctors,/ Nurses/ Paramedics. Physio ./ OT ) and the management necessity of getting this kind of screening done,.

I am aware of a few Health professional managers in healthcare organisatiosn who have had their fingers burnt by forgetting where the line in the sand between OH and managmeent sits.

Last edited:
As far as I know and I hope all is ok and that all everyone is waiting for is my DBS check 🤞
Have been through exact same process, talking with a nurse after questionnaire. I had quite a few exceptions and was also on a combination of meds that was unusual for a person of the age I was then, but the nurse was fine and didn't disclose anything I wasn't happy for them to do so.

Fingers crossed for your DBS x

I'm confident the DBS will not be a problem.
It's all very strange, my first application for a job in about 20 years. The interview was online. Only able to offer reference from current employer and health check was via a third party. My only meds are a 10 ml station and asthma sprays, so should be ok. The health care nurse sounded positive. He said he was "working" for me and was on my side, yet he was employed by new employers. All I can do is wait and hope. I am hoping tonight's shift will be my last ever night shift.

I'm confident the DBS will not be a problem.
It's all very strange, my first application for a job in about 20 years. The interview was online. Only able to offer reference from current employer and health check was via a third party. My only meds are a 10 ml station and asthma sprays, so should be ok. The health care nurse sounded positive. He said he was "working" for me and was on my side, yet he was employed by new employers. All I can do is wait and hope. I am hoping tonight's shift will be my last ever night shift.
Here's to no more night shifts!

Back
Top Bottom