Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Have you ever played a famous instrument?

My dad sometimes played the organ of King's College Chapel, Cambridge when he was a student. He basically used to pretend to be an organ scholar and no one checked :D

My parents have had Julian Lloyd Weber's Stradivarius cello in the boot of their car, which my mum said was somewhat nervewracking as it was worth a cool few million :eek:

I don't know about famous, but my mother procured a very special child sized violin for me to learn on and so pleasant was its sound that my violin teacher use to greet me with Oh weltweit, and your beautiful instrument, at which point he would lift it up and play glorious music for the duration of the class. I never leant more than a squark, he was always on it :(

I owned a pair of second hand speakers which were previously owned by Michael Tilson Thomas, I was told by the salesman, who said that after I brought them, had no reason to lie, and I didn't even know who Tilson Thomas was then.

Ooh, my oldest pal's dad was a guy called Roger Coulam.
He was a session player in the 60s and 70s on the old Hammond.

He played arguably the most famous Hammond riff of all time - Je Taime.

I've text me mate to ask if he played it on his own Hammond, which me mates mum still has. He died about 15 years ago so can't verify obvs

My organ was pretty famous* round north London back in the day.

(* obviously, and sadly it wasn’t really, but I couldn’t resist the purile humour…)

Last edited:
Or rather an instrument a famous song was recorded on?

I've played the piano that A Day in the Life was played on, and also the one Obla da Obla di was played on.

Unfortunately I can only play chopsticks

There are four different pianos on A Day in the Life.

Or rather an instrument a famous song was recorded on?

I've played the piano that A Day in the Life was played on, and also the one Obla da Obla di was played on.

Unfortunately I can only play chopsticks
I played the piano that Lady Madonna was played on. Maybe it was the same one. Beatles Room at Abbey Road. . . . Maybe the studio manager guy said 'obla de obla da' or hey jude and I misremembered. I'm not really a Beatles fan.

I also played the Henry Willis organ at the royal albert hall.
. . . and does playing through the blonde one from Status Quos vintage AC30 count?
Oh, and John Bonham's drum kit (or one of). I didn't know who he was at the time.

Last edited:
Half the warehouse sound systems of the mid to late 90's seemed to have Pink Floyd's cast off speakers :hmm:

But if you want really obscure, done a line of K off

Last edited:
I've played * Ralph Vaughan Williams' piano. It's the one he composed a fair bit of his music on including The Lark Ascending.

* I say played but it was just a few bars of something I half-remembered as I can't play properly.

Back
Top Bottom