Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hastings v Hamlet, 13 Jan 2024

Bugpowder Dust

Wasn't sure if I could make this one but the excitement of yesterday has persuaded me to clear my diary.

Not been before so looking forward to seeing a bit of Hastings and visiting a new ground.

Travel and pub tips welcome....

I'm not going to make it for this one and I haven't been to the ground since 2006, although I've visited the town within the last couple of years.

You've got a choice of train routes from London to Hastings: London Bridge via Orpington, or Victoria via East Croydon. (There's also HS1 from St Pancras to Ashford via Stratford International then the branch line across Romney Marsh.) The ground is a good half hour hike from Hastings Station and the town centre, and it's quite a hilly town. Ore Station is closer (on the Hastings to Ashford branch line) but still about 1 mile from the ground and tucked away in a dull residential area.

The pubs I'd aim for personally are the Jenny Lind and the FILO (First In Last Out) which are both in the High Street, plus the Fisherman's Arms which is a micropub near those two on the seafront.

I was there for Lewes away and Wingate away, both quality away trips and victories. On the flip side I've endured Haringay, Cheshunt, Hornchurch, Enfield and Chatham...

So my away record this season is 30:70 at best, but I'm feeling positive about this one already. Which is almost certainly a mistake.

Cheers for the pub tips Pink Panther , regardless of result will make.the most of it.

i went to hastings a couple of years ago, not realising our visit coincided with the pirate festival. it was so busy, so would be interested to visit on a less bonkers day.

Ravan available for this match, Alfie Allen sits it out under concussion protocols, Kresh out until at least the middle of February:

You've got a choice of train routes from London to Hastings: London Bridge via Orpington, or Victoria via East Croydon. (There's also HS1 from St Pancras to Ashford via Stratford International then the branch line across Romney Marsh.)

Looks like there is a potential route from Peckham Rye avoiding Zone 1 and changing at Orpington. It takes a bit longer but it's ten quid cheaper if you don't have a railcard and arent doing group save.

Looks like Charlie Grainger is a firm fan favourite. Looking forward to seeing him again, but this time I hope he is picking the ball out of his net a few times.

Less looking forward to seeing Dom Vose, probably nailed on to score a hat trick

For the inevitability of former players scoring against us alone, it’s fortunate that Vose left them shortly after they got rid of Barnes.

Biggest threat looks to be Davide Rodari, who’s scored 11 goals in his last eight games.

Only away game I've been to was St Albans, which was good craic, giving some thought to coming today. What's the ground and facilities like?

Didn't realize Vose had gone, he can't seem to stick anywhere.

Their league form is pretty good since Barnes got binned. And they smashed Folkestone 5-0 midweek.

Just saw they signed Jack Dixon last week too

Only away game I've been to was St Albans, which was good craic, giving some thought to coming today. What's the ground and facilities like?
It's a big old ground with character. There's a large main stand set back from the pitch (there used to be a speedway track) but they've modernised the other three sides of the ground a bit at a time. I haven't been for 17 years, so my memories are a bit hazy and it's probably changed since then anyway. I reckon there should be a 1,000+ crowd.

Can’t believe the amount of fans who walked past the Sea Dog by the station. Currently in the Prince Albert off Queen’s Road which is another great pub.

Can’t believe the amount of fans who walked past the Sea Dog by the station. Currently in the Prince Albert off Queen’s Road which is another great pub.
Perhaps some people like to have a wander round the town instead of just piling into the first pub they see outside the station!

Reactions: EDC
Never been, had a quick look online and sounds decent, but my logic is to explore the town first and make the best pub near the station my final stop before the train home.

Just did this, Seadog was way above the average station pub, but everywhere we went for a beer was very good. Hastings has a lot going for it.

And the game was pretty good too, not our best 90 mins but a huge away support roared when chambers smashed home the equaliser

Just did this, Seadog was way above the average station pub, but everywhere we went for a beer was very good. Hastings has a lot going for it.

And the game was pretty good too, not our best 90 mins but a huge away support roared when chambers smashed home the equaliser
We'll probably be going back next season, hopefully not in the middle of winter. None of my shortlisted pubs is very close to the station, so it's useful to know there's a good one that is.

Reactions: EDC
On the footballing side of things, interesting decision by Hak to stick Egan straight into the team. Shonebare and Shokunbi must both have been a bit miffed given their positive involvement last week and Egan didn't seem to offer anything different.

Was Hatfull injured? Someone said they saw him at the ground, would be harsh to be dropped already.

We'll probably be going back next season, hopefully not in the middle of winter. None of my shortlisted pubs is very close to the station, so it's useful to know there's a good one that is.
1200 Postcards in Queens St, add it to the list.

Back
Top Bottom