Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Has static electricity destroyed my laptop?

£1.59 a month. Bargain.

For those wishing to avoid Google, Koofr do 100GB for €19.67 annually (about £1.37 per month) and have sync clients for various operating systems. I have only used the free 2GB plan but when I sync my Linux laptop I find Koofr is significantly faster than Microsoft Onedrive.

I've just got into the default that everything I make or save gets saved to the cloud.

Saved OHs bacon a few years back, she ran her own small business. Had an external hard drive. Didn't back up anywhere near as often as she should and I'd just got her to switch. PC failed, I ordered a refueb of Amazon and she was working very shortly afterwards.

Well, I got my laptop back, repaired for free by John Lewis. It was a motherboard problem.

In the mean time, I bought a Macbook, but I'm intimidated by it and haven't even used it. Might send it back and get my money back. Wonder how much life there is left in my HP. Does anyone know?

Convinced it was the static. Seems too much of a coincidence. Read that "One static shock can permanently destroy a motherboard."

Well, I got my laptop back, repaired for free by John Lewis. It was a motherboard problem.

In the mean time, I bought a Macbook, but I'm intimidated by it and haven't even used it. Might send it back and get my money back. Wonder how much life there is left in my HP. Does anyone know?

No reason a laptop can't last many years if looked after.

I look after my laptop but it's also heavily used and I also travel a lot. Once I ruined a laptop rushing for a flight. But perhaps I will send the Macbook back.

I look after my laptop but it's also heavily used and I also travel a lot. Once I ruined a laptop rushing for a flight. But perhaps I will send the Macbook back.

You can't really predict when you might break it! But I'd send the Mac back and save the money for when you need a new one.

Have you got everything in cloud storage now?

Have said before I've got a Toshiba laptop that must be over 10 years old - it came with Windows Vista and I'm still using for non-critical basic stuff. Several keys don't work so I sometimes have to use a usb keyboard. You have to close the lid twice for it to shut down for some reason. Sometimes the sound goes mute so you have to reboot. But it now runs the latest version of Linux Mint quite happily.

Everything is on my Google Drive, and second laptop, AND old laptop. I'll start putting saving all important things onto Google Drive now, have to change my habits.

Macbook has been packed up and sent back to Amazon for a refund. Wiping my ID off that was a nightmare, so complicated that I ended up having to have someone from Apple call me to talk me through it. Surely it shouldn't be so complicated to return a laptop to factory settings before returning it? Anyway, that's a relief.

Lessons learned from this saga:
If I end up in a place where I suffer from static, take a break from expensive tech.
Save everything important onto Google Drive.
I don't get on with Macs.
Buy tech from John Lewis, where you get a two year guarantee.

Everything is on my Google Drive, and second laptop, AND old laptop. I'll start putting saving all important things onto Google Drive now, have to change my habits.

Macbook has been packed up and sent back to Amazon for a refund. Wiping my ID off that was a nightmare, so complicated that I ended up having to have someone from Apple call me to talk me through it. Surely it shouldn't be so complicated to return a laptop to factory settings before returning it? Anyway, that's a relief.

Lessons learned from this saga:
If I end up in a place where I suffer from static, take a break from expensive tech.
Save everything important onto Google Drive.
I don't get on with Macs.

Sounds like your winning :)

Not always plain sailing. I bought a top of the range surface from them thinking that but as soon as I had problems (overheating initially) I was palmed over to Microsoft and had to send it off to Germany. It got replaced with another model (It might have been new but was probably refurbished) and then I got the world famous touch screen issues which rendered it useless for the only thing it was good at. Oh it had a 4k screen which was nice. Shit GPU. The star selling point was that the screen could be removed to become a tablet. Which is pointless if the touch screen has errors.
Anyway, Not John Lewis' fault lol. But that's where I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom