Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hammersmith Bridge closed to motor vehicles "indefinitely"

_106407091_a1.jpg

don't like the way they're forcing cyclists onto the pavement. a few handily placed bollards would stop motor traffic, and allow cyclists to use the carriageway over the bridge

"Great Work!" was sarcasm btw.

6 bus routes use the bridge (compared to 11 on Putney Bridge to the East and just 1 on Chiswick Bridge to the West)

The bridge has been fucked for years. Don't see why TFL should pay for the repairs. Especially given the money can only come from fare income and land sales.
Maybe requisition all the huge house in Barnes and sell them to raise the dosh?

Another pretty and delicate bridge is the Albert Bridge. There were proposals to turn it into a garden bridge a while back. It was recently closed for a 2 year refurb costing £7 M. Traffic is allowed on, but very restricted. Perhaps they could do the same with hammersmith.

It is a nice bridge. It would be lovely to make it into a pedestrian-only garden. Pity it's basically the only motor pathway crossing the river for several miles.

Hammersmith Bridge Could Become A Toll Bridge, To Fund Repairs

The whole thing is creating havoc around Putney as everyone is diverting to use Putney Bridge which has a knock on effect in Fulham and Kings Rd. I've had to change my route to work (over Putney Bridge) and leave earlier to factor for the extra traffic. Of course they could've repaired this all years ago but Boris was too busy buying water canon and lobbying for a Garden Bridge that nobody needs.

Make it buses only, and that would make it simpler to direct funds directly to it from the users (not that I'm advocating charging public transport users for the damage done predominantly by lorries and cars, but keeps the most efficient people carrying vehicles able to use the bridge..).

The point being that buses are quite heavy.
What is it on average - about one bus per minute (both directions combined)? Are any single deckers?

I know its about axle weight, and the concentrated weight in one place at one moment etc, but, keeping it one bus at a time, how would that compare with constant cars (only cars, not even LGVs)?

Edit - I know hash tag's comment wasn't necessarily entirely serious..

Last edited:
What is it on average - about one bus per minute (both directions combined)? Are any single deckers?

I know its about axle weight, and the concentrated weight in one place at one moment etc, but, keeping it one bus at a time, how would that compare with constant cars (only cars, not even LGVs)?

They did restrict buses previously with a barrier, but the drivers literally got out and dismantled it repeatedly, even when there were cameras, until they gave up.

ETA: actually it wasn't _meant_ to restrict the buses, see below

Last edited:

Well, google suggests a fully laden single decker bus weighs around 13.5T. For ease lets assume that the load is distributed evenly through 6 wheels (this clearly isn't the case but its Friday afternoon so bear with me). So, that's 2250kg or 22.07kN per wheel. The British Standard on this suggests the point load should be calculated over a square of 300mm x 300mm. My addled Friday afternoon brain suggests that's a pressure onto the road surface of 245.22kN/m2. Which, quite frankly, is massive.

Lets say the average car weighs 1.5T. The same method of calculation (though spread through 4 wheels only) would equate to a pressure of 40kN/m2. Whilst you will clearly get more cars I think its fair to assume the massive force of the bus is the big concern.

Of course a few pot plants and a shrubbery is surprisingly light, though google cannot help me with the weight of an average shrubbery.

They did restrict buses previously with a barrier, but the drivers literally got out and dismantled it repeatedly, even when there were cameras, until they gave up.
Bus drivers?
Well, google suggests a fully laden single decker bus weighs around 13.5T. For ease lets assume that the load is distributed evenly through 6 wheels (this clearly isn't the case but its Friday afternoon so bear with me). So, that's 2250kg or 22.07kN per wheel. The British Standard on this suggests the point load should be calculated over a square of 300mm x 300mm. My addled Friday afternoon brain suggests that's a pressure onto the road surface of 245.22kN/m2. Which, quite frankly, is massive.

Lets say the average car weighs 1.5T. The same method of calculation (though spread through 4 wheels only) would equate to a pressure of 40kN/m2. Whilst you will clearly get more cars I think its fair to assume the massive force of the bus is the big concern.

Of course a few pot plants and a shrubbery is surprisingly light, though google cannot help me with the weight of an average shrubbery.
Cheers :), you really didn't have to though..

I bow to your, even on a Friday afternoon, more scientific brain and googling initiative..

Back
Top Bottom