Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet Women v Enfield Town, Sunday 14 April, 2pm

Alex W

This has the makings of a very special day. Given that Crawley are almost comedically dysfunctional, Enfield likely represent our rivals' last hope at stopping our title bid.

It will also be the last home game for captain Brit Saylor, who is retiring at the end of the season. Brit was one of the co-founders of the AFC Phoenix team that eventually became Dulwich Hamlet Women, and it's probably fair to say that if it wasn't for her, there would be no DHFCW team (certainly not in its current form).

As well as the above, there's no men's home game this weekend, the weather looks decent and attendances have been consistently impressive, so it's not surprising the club is talking about the possibility of a new attendance record.

It's been an absolutely brilliant season - hopefully we can sign off the home portion of it in style.

In case anyone is going to East Dulwich station they have now cancelled the current train and I think they are likely to be on diversion for the time being

In case anyone is going to East Dulwich station they have now cancelled the current train and I think they are likely to be on diversion for the time being
It came up as all trains cancelled for the next couple of hours due to a points failure when I checked, although Overground via Denmark Hill seems OK. I switched to the bus instead.

Arrived late, great atmosphere. Seriously considering the trip away next Sunday.

All eyes on Dartford midweek...
There's no game next Sunday. It's Crawley (at Horley Town FC) on Sunday 28th April, then the final game at Saltdean on Sunday 19th May.

Enfield were defensively competent and well organised, but offered no attacking threat whatsoever. I literally don't recall them having a single shot in 90 minutes, even off target or trickling through to the keeper. They had a corner at 2-0 that looked like it might get bundled in at the far post but I think it went straight out for a goal kick. They now need 4 points from their remaining 5 matches to stay up at the expense of Aylesford, who concluded their fixtures with a 6-1 defeat at Ebbsfleet today. The only other game in our division was a 4-0 home win for Saltdean against Ashford.

All eyes on Dartford midweek...
Are there any plans to listen / watch (is that even possible) this in the clubhouse? Because let’s be realistic; Dartford lose midweek and we’ve won the League, and lots of people should all be drinking pints together in case that happens. (Even if that does have to be in the inside bar).

Are there any plans to listen / watch (is that even possible) this in the clubhouse? Because let’s be realistic; Dartford lose midweek and we’ve won the League, and lots of people should all be drinking pints together in case that happens. (Even if that does have to be in the inside bar).
There have been drunken conversations about actually going to the game...

Personally, if there's any way to get a feed, the idea of being able to watch the game without having to go to Dartford sounds terrific.

Personally, if there's any way to get a feed, the idea of being able to watch the game without having to go to Dartford sounds terrific.
Any solution to any situation if it’s the one that avoids going to Dartford… it’s the right one.

One word leaps out from that post. I should see if it still feels like a good idea in the morning!

It's 32 years since I went to a Tooting v Borehamwood game, hoping to see the visitors lose to aid Hamlet's promotion prospects, and of course they won. It was a strangely empty experience, desperately wanting someone to lose without actually wanting the other team (Tooting!) to win, and I've never been tempted to repeat it since.

Even if Dartford lose, we will technically still need one more point to be champions, so Crawley away seems like a more appropriate occasion for a proper celebration.

Of the game… Shame there wasn’t more interrogation of the disallowed goal at the end. From my angle the through-ball came off a defender and therefore (I think?) can’t have been offside, so denying Summer a hat trick. It was the second time that happened second half, the first time I think denying Britt a great chance.

Of the post game… Is there a separate one?

Of the game… Shame there wasn’t more interrogation of the disallowed goal at the end. From my angle the through-ball came off a defender and therefore (I think?) can’t have been offside, so denying Summer a hat trick. It was the second time that happened second half, the first time I think denying Britt a great chance.
My understanding of the offside law is that it's only negated when the defender intentionally plays the ball back. A deflection or a sliced clearance under pressure doesn't count. I was right in line with that incident and Summer clearly tried to pass to Martha, who was well offside, but the ball rebounded to her off the defender. Frankly they change the law so often these days, it's a total mess.

My understanding of the offside law is that it's only negated when the defender intentionally plays the ball back. A deflection or a sliced clearance under pressure doesn't count. I was right in line with that incident and Summer clearly tried to pass to Martha, who was well offside, but the ball rebounded to her off the defender. Frankly they change the law so often these days, it's a total mess.
That is correct. Deflecting the ball will not play people onside, it has to be played deliberately by the defender.

The law is a mess and has been adjusted so often just because everyone seems to think all fans want is more goals. However, it had made officials jobs so much more difficult.

But there are deflections and deflections no? Where a defender deliberately tries to get in the way of a pass, not necessarily with the intention of playing it to a teammate just stopping it going where it was intended to go - is that enough?

The worst thing they’ve done with offside imo is make it arbitrary when you have VAR. With VAR now, many Lino’s don’t flag tight (or even not so tight) calls knowing if a goal is scored directly it’ll be checked. But then you get play continuing and a goal being scored from another phase of play that shouldn’t have happened because the defence should have had a free kick (but VAR won’t check back to the previous phase of play). So effectively with VAR games have an offside rule that is as you both say ruined, that is also only selectively applied.

And these lads want us to respect them more.

It's slightly concerning that, for the second week in a row, we've had to rely on a 14 year-old plucked from the crowd to run the line because only two officials showed up.

Are we just unlucky, or is the shortage of qualified officials really that bad?

Either way, well done Lino Chris. There can't be many his age who've officiated two senior games.

It's slightly concerning that, for the second week in a row, we've had to rely on a 14 year-old plucked from the crowd to run the line because only two officials showed up.

Either way, well done Lino Chris. There can't be many his age who've officiated two senior games.
It's bad. The issue isn't really recruitment but the number of newly qualified officials giving up within the first two seasons - largely due to the risk of assault and abuse that's increasingly the norm at lower levels now. The number continuing is nearly always below the number of long serving officials retiring etc.

A shortage of officials is already biting increasingly high up the men's Saturday pyramid. Any regular watcher of Step Five, and increasingly step Four, can tell you the average age of officials means it's only going to get worse. Sunday is exacerbated by many officials not wanting to do both Saturday and Sunday and just doing Saturday, as that's what they've done for years.

It's unlucky appointed officials are no show tbh but there's a real issue looming.

Why active referees are used for fourth officials when they should be refereeing I simply fail to understand. They should use recently retired referees, of an appropriate standard, for that role whenever possible.

Last edited:
Side point but I liked the ref on Sunday being a real stickler for players snagging extra yards on throw-ins, even if it did annoy both sides.

Always riles me...

Here he is!

1713262913568.png

Side point but I liked the ref on Sunday being a real stickler for players snagging extra yards on throw-ins, even if it did annoy both sides.

Always riles me...
I like the sound of this ref.

My pet hate is when a free kick is awarded and the player throws the ball forward with a bit of backspin to gain an extra yard or so.

But there are deflections and deflections no? Where a defender deliberately tries to get in the way of a pass, not necessarily with the intention of playing it to a teammate just stopping it going where it was intended to go - is that enough?

The worst thing they’ve done with offside imo is make it arbitrary when you have VAR. With VAR now, many Lino’s don’t flag tight (or even not so tight) calls knowing if a goal is scored directly it’ll be checked. But then you get play continuing and a goal being scored from another phase of play that shouldn’t have happened because the defence should have had a free kick (but VAR won’t check back to the previous phase of play). So effectively with VAR games have an offside rule that is as you both say ruined, that is also only selectively applied.

And these lads want us to respect them more.

My personal view is the offside player sought a clear advantage by offering a passing option, when the player on the ball would otherwise have needed to beat another defender to get a sight of goal. If the pass had reached her it would definitely have been offside; if the defender had known that, she wouldn't have needed to attempt a desperate interception. The linesman put his flag up straight away, but the referee didn't notice until the ball was in the net several seconds later.

Law 11 (Offside) includes the following:

"2. Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used
or

• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
    • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
    • been deliberately saved by any opponent
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately played* the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.
*‘Deliberate play’ (excluding deliberate handball) is when a player has control of the ball with the possibility of:

• passing the ball to a team-mate;
  • gaining possession of the ball; or
  • clearing the ball (e.g. by kicking or heading it)
If the pass, attempt to gain possession or clearance by the player in control of the ball is inaccurate or unsuccessful, this does not negate the fact that the player ‘deliberately played’ the ball.
The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, can be considered to have ‘deliberately played’ the ball:

• The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
  • The ball was not moving quickly
  • The direction of the ball was not unexpected
  • The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited
    contact/control
  • A ball moving on the ground is easier to play than a ball in the air
A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area)."

Reading the above, the defender's attempt to intercept the pass and the fact the scorer was never offside suggests a strong argument the goal should have stood, but it's a mess.

Thirty odd years ago you'd see a back 4 playing "the offside trap", rushing out in unison in anticipation of a through ball. Any forward caught goalside of them would be flagged offside as a shot from a teammate flew into the net, even if they were nowhere near the ball and attempting to regain an onside position. Now we have players just goal hanging in offside positions, causing an obvious diversion for defenders, and people expect goals to stand as long as that player doesn't actually touch the ball. We've gone from one extreme to another.

When the same two clubs contested a men's league match at Enfield in December, our opponents had a forward standing offside in the 6 yard box as a shot came in from the edge of the penalty box. Our keeper could possibly have saved the shot, but hesitated to dive in anticipation of the offside player playing the ball. However, he stepped back and let it go directly into the bottom corner instead, the goal stood and cost us a point.

It's become a farce, as so many different scenarios are open to interpretation, and one side or the other will always feel aggrieved. It's bad enough at the highest levels with VAR, but lower level officials just can't win.

I heard Dartford are kidnapping them in an attempt to get our games abandoned.

Pink Panther match report, vid and link to those photos here

Back
Top Bottom