Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet vs Chatham Town, Monday 28 August (the banks are closed today)

The banks may be closed but the floodgates are definitely wide open. Just woken from post night shift sleep and thought I was still in a nightmare. I never expected an easy ride, for the Hamlet anyway, and know this is early days in the season but to think we’re already going to be concerned about not dropping out of this division rather than battling to climb back to the National League before the end of August is worrying indeed.

I wasn't at the match so don't know how he played but it may be worth mentioning Jamie Yila spent two seasons at Fisher without Hamlet spotting him.
I thought he was their outstanding player today. He's a tall and quick forward with a good touch and composure on the ball. I think he was at Chelmsford last season.

We made 5 changes from Saturday's starting XI and switched to three centre backs. It looks like we still don't have much idea of our best combination from a large squad, despite having 9 pre-season fixtures to work it out. By contrast, Chatham retained 14 or 15 of their promotion winning squad, and having won their first 4 matches they played with the confidence and certainty of a team accustomed to getting the right result, but I didn't think they were sensational. Some of our defensive blunders were embarrassing and very reminiscent of last season, while we failed to act decisively enough to bury couple of gilt edged chances inside the six yard box.

Surely one of the worst refereeing decisions ever - ball clearly 2 feet over the line - defender pick up ball to go for corner - ref gives a penalty
Truly shocking

That said Chatham deserved win with two great second half goals
Hamlet matched then for first 35 minutes - then gave a goal away just before half time

second half - Hamlet nightmare on all fronts

Surely one of the worst refereeing decisions ever - ball clearly 2 feet over the line - defender pick up ball to go for corner - ref gives a penalty
Truly shocking

Hamlet matched then for first 35 minutes - then gave a goal away just before half time

I’m waiting to see that on the edited highlights. There seems to be a conflict of opinions as to whether the ball was out or not. Well if nothing wise we’re going to get another viral tweet out of the incident.

I was right at the corner flag - the ball stopped on the line our defender then tapped (he was being pushed by Chatham attacker) it over the line - it definitely went out by 1-2 feet (so definitely a corner)
our defender then tried to claim the ball was still in then and move away from goal - he started to lose control then bizarrely picked it up

Having had the worst defence in the National South last season I was really hoping we'd seen the back of abysmal defensive performances. 10 goals conceded in 3 matches despite being a division lower doesn't bode well. What's worrying me is that the poor performance against Hastings has been followed up by yet another last minute defeat and a hammering.

I was right at the corner flag - the ball stopped on the line our defender then tapped (he was being pushed by Chatham attacker) it over the line - it definitely went out by 1-2 feet (so definitely a corner)
our defender then tried to claim the ball was still in then and move away from goal - he started to lose control then bizarrely picked it up
That sounds even dafter than the original description of the incident, that he picked the ball up thinking it was out of play.

I was right down the other end but if he knocked the ball out of play, then tried to trick the referee into thinking it he'd kept it in to avoid conceding a corner, and succeeded in that deception before picking it up he's really only got himself to blame. The officials' job is difficult enough without the endemic levels of cheating and gamesmanship these days.

That goal was a big moment, as we'd made a strong start to the second half and were pressing hard for an equaliser.

Truly shocking

He didn't play to the whistle - that's a basic error

To be honest we look weak all through the team. We are so easy to cut through it is ridiculous. Having said that great performances by Evans and Yila for Chatham. I had imagined Ricketts being our Evans but not starting or coming on is strange. The only consolation is I imagine Hakan saw a midfield of Ricketts, Scott Allen and Jeffrey starting with Romaine in front of them. . ..none of whom are on the pitch.

However, our first choice defence is out there or on the bench which is worrying as I think Ruddy is good so what does that say about the rest .!!! We seem to have gone for size over mobility and that didn't work as Yila headed in direct for a corner and then we were run ragged after that.

I’m waiting to see that on the edited highlights. There seems to be a conflict of opinions as to whether the ball was out or not. Well if nothing wise we’re going to get another viral tweet out of the incident.
The referee clearly signals a goal kick and the player picks up the ball. He told us afterwards he had signalled play on but the video clearly shows he did nothing of the sort. He pointed to the edge of the 6 yard box and turned his back and starting moving downfield. Not just an appalling decision but also a liar.

The referee clearly signals a goal kick and the player picks up the ball. He told us afterwards he had signalled play on but the video clearly shows he did nothing of the sort. He pointed to the edge of the 6 yard box and turned his back and starting moving downfield. Not just an appalling decision but also a liar.
If that is the case then I hope it is stated in the referee’s report. I would hope these sort of incidents are brought to the attention of those who administer our leagues. That said as I know from my own experience in these situations too often officials are given the lowest possible mark that does not require a report.

They were by far the better team. The referee didn’t give them the other four goals, our appalling organisation, defending and lack of anything approaching pride did that.

Last edited:
A poor first half from both sides, with Chatham just about deserving to be leading at the break. We were better early 2nd half then conceded that very odd penalty, got the goal but once they scored the third it went horribly wrong. There didn't seem to be a plan or a system. Did think wanadio deserves some credit - thought he played level above the rest of the team and never gave up. We need to rethink things up top we can't keep relying on mills and it's too predictable anyway.

Back
Top Bottom