Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Kingstonian, Sat 14 Oct, Isthmian Prem

Bugpowder Dust

10 tweets in a week, I get the impression the club are keen to shift tickets for Saturday's game. I presume each tweet adds a few sales, but it all seems a bit OTT.

Either way, we desperately need a win against fellow strugglers.

Huge game, if we don’t get a result against fellow strugglers and end up being 10 games in and in the relegation zone it is pretty worrying. Be interesting to see if we can potentially beat 11 men. Also I thought I was going mad the amount I saw the post for the game

10 tweets in a week, I get the impression the club are keen to shift tickets for Saturday's game. I presume each tweet adds a few sales, but it all seems a bit OTT.
Twice a day, every day, seems a bit excessive. I suspect it's just the way the new media manager works. First Saturday league game in October has been sold out in each of the last two seasons, against Dartford last year and Billericay the previous year, so it makes sense for people to book promptly for this one.

My first ever football match at least 30 years ago was at Kingstonian. Almost a bit torn about who to support at this one. Tempted to play devils advocate to the key shakers.

“If you throw a hedgehog at a dartboard you’re sure to get at least one bullseye” If Alan Partridge didn’t say that he should have done.

Repeating the same tweet over and over again is slightly stretching the definition of “increase”. Without the A/B tests it’s impossible to know whether the first home game for ages against traditionally well supported and regular Isthmian League rivals would have brought in similar sales. For moment let’s be happy that even in the current precarious circumstances there are still 1600+ people happy to part with their lucre to attend Champion Hill. Let’s just hope it’s not going to be “Never mind the quality, feel the attendance money”.

Twice a day, every day, seems a bit excessive. I suspect it's just the way the new media manager works. First Saturday league game in October has been sold out in each of the last two seasons, against Dartford last year and Billericay the previous year, so it makes sense for people to book promptly for this one.
The official club Twitter account has 35,000 followers, but each tweet only reaches around 10% of that depending on who's online at that time (you can check this yourself by looking at reach figures on individual tweets).

Tweeting regularly at multiple different times of the day is a sensible thing to be doing, and is pretty standard for any account trying to drive sales. The new admin clearly knows what he's doing and is serious about selling tickets, so fair play to him.

Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to Matt Drage putting in a faultless, Beckenbauer-esque 90 minutes at the back for them tomorrow.

After a rocky start to the season they're coming into the weekend off a couple of decent results and with some attacking players in goalscoring form - Andy Somo, Eddie Dsane, Rio Campbell particularly. We'll need to get to grips with them right off the bat or we could be in for another tough day of shadow chasing.

According to FWP we’ve used 30 players in all games so far this season. That’s not a great deal more than some of the other clubs in this division with most in the low to mid 20s. Of course things end up slightly skewed by FA Cup & Trophy games where 7 subs may be named with the likes of fringe & youth players maybe getting a run out should circumstances allow. The same could said of county cups.

Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to Matt Drage putting in a faultless, Beckenbauer-esque 90 minutes at the back for them tomorrow.

After a rocky start to the season they're coming into the weekend off a couple of decent results and with some attacking players in goalscoring form - Andy Somo, Eddie Dsane, Rio Campbell particularly. We'll need to get to grips with them right off the bat or we could be in for another tough day of shadow chasing.
Matt Drage; someone I didn't think up to it at first but thought, by the end of the season, he had grown immensely.

He screwed up for the decisive goal in the 2017 play-off final, attempting a ridiculous acrobatic clearance just before half time instead of a backpass under no real pressure. His replacement Rickie Hayles captained us to promotion in the following year's final. He's a gifted footballer but never quite punched his weight for me. Regardless of how well he plays against us, our team improved after he left.

Definitely sounds like an improvement though a bit squeaky in the goals concession. I’m not turning any corners yet as most times we’ve done that of late we’ve fallen down the footballing equivalent of an open manhole.

We made hard work of that in the end, having apparently put the game to bed with three unanswered goals in the third quarter after an uneventful first half. There were still a couple of alarms during that phase. Firstly Ks #10 went clear through the middle with only Lakin to beat at 2-0 but sidefooted wide of the target. Then the same player was surely tripped inside the box by Scarlett, although I felt he'd fouled our man to win the ball in the first place.

Some great goals from the Hamlet. Hak shook the team up by bringing on Scott and Jeffrey for the start of the second half, and it paid off within 60 seconds when the latter crossed for a classic headed finish by Mills. Great footwork inside the box was followed by a clinical finish from Tarh for the second, then Wanadio made it three with a humdinger from 20 yards. Ks first looked a little too easy as their #7 worked space for a shot from 15 yards, despite plenty of defenders in attendance. We began to look very wobbly against any sort of attacking thrust, with a lob over the onrushing Lakin bouncing over off the crossbar. Then just as 5 minutes of added time was indicated we conceded a free kick near the corner, which was met with an unchallenged downward header by their centre back (not Drage!) to make it 3-2. Thankfully Hamlet managed to see out the remaining time with nothing more worrying than an overhit through ball that eluded the runner on its way out for a goal kick.

I thought the game was a real curate's egg on the whole. First half steady enough at the back, some good midfield and approach play wasted by wayward crossing, wildly optimistic shooting, or a poor final pass. The period encompassing our three goals was the best I've seen since the Canvey game two months ago, but we looked ever so vulnerable to opponents running at us through the middle. A bit too much of the wrong sort of excitement, but more entertaining than recent home games, and most importantly 3 points.

Some much improved performances all across the park, but I thought Krasniqi in particular was excellent - covered every blade of grass and drove the team forward with a non-stop performance of commitment and controlled aggression.

And Drage played more like Frank Spencer than Franz Beckenbauer, which was nice.

Back
Top Bottom