Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Billericay (Isthmian League) Easter Saturday 30.03.24 (3pm ko)

Pink Panther

Only 2 more home games after this one, and victory could put Hamlet into the top 5 for the first time this season if other results go in our favour. By contrast, Billericay looked nailed on for a place in the play-offs until a spectacular run of defeats, which has put them bottom of the current form table and seen them slide down the table.

In the absence of traditional derby opponents, this fixture has had a bit of needle for Hamlet fans ever since the Essex club's ostentatious spending under former owner Glen Tamplin secured the Isthmian League title at our expense 6 years ago. It has attracted consistently high attendances since then and a capacity crowd must be a possibility, so probably a good idea to buy an advance ticket if you don't want to miss out.

East Dulwich will have a normal train service but the Overground via Denmark Hill is a replacement bus service.

Would be good to beat Billericay, I've disliked them ever since one of their fans was loudly gobbing off in the clubhouse a few years back, unsuccessfully trying to goad Hamlet fans into a confrontation. Saying that, I'm sure not all their fans are like that!

Does anyone know what the bag searches at the turnstiles are for? Is it just booze? I have a cousin flying in from Ireland who has a few hours to kill on Saturday afternoon so I've told him to come along, he'll have a weekend bag with him and assume that shouldn't be an issue as long as there's no tinnies in there.

Only 2 more home games after this one, and victory could put Hamlet into the top 5 for the first time this season if other results go in our favour. By contrast, Billericay looked nailed on for a place in the play-offs until a spectacular run of defeats, which has put them bottom of the current form table and seen them slide down the table.
Do you know what prompted Billericay's catastrophic change in form?

Would be good to beat Billericay, I've disliked them ever since one of their fans was loudly gobbing off in the clubhouse a few years back, unsuccessfully trying to goad Hamlet fans into a confrontation. Saying that, I'm sure not all their fans are like that!

That just shows how easily one or two idiots can leave a poor lasting impression of any club. They haven't visited us since October 2021, but a hopefully isolated incident is still remembered. I dare say we have a minority who have left a similarly poor impression, one way or another. I heard first hand reports from someone I respect of some Hamlet fans being dickheads at Billericay after the women's FA Cup tie at their place a few months ago.

Personally I'm still bitter about the whole Tamplin saga, which denied us a first Isthmian League championship since 1949. I wouldn't have minded so much if he'd been in it for the long haul but he was only there for 2 full seasons, and only showed up there after at least 2 other clubs turned him down. It's the random nature of one individual taking over the first club that would have him, spending a fortune to win the league while leaving a trail of creditors in his wake, that makes me angry. I don't suppose he has the slightest interest in their fortunes since he left. He sums up much of what is wrong in football, and indeed this country as a whole.

Does anyone know what the bag searches at the turnstiles are for? Is it just booze? I have a cousin flying in from Ireland who has a few hours to kill on Saturday afternoon so I've told him to come along, he'll have a weekend bag with him and assume that shouldn't be an issue as long as there's no tinnies in there.

Primarily booze and probably any glassware, plus anything that obviously shouldn't be used inside a football ground like smoke canisters. Nivag is probably best placed to advise on anything else.

He was box office on the sideline though.. ranting at the crowd, turning purple with anger at the officials.. definitely had a pick me up before kickoff!

That just shows how easily one or two idiots can leave a poor lasting impression of any club. They haven't visited us since October 2021, but a hopefully isolated incident is still remembered. I dare say we have a minority who have left a similarly poor impression, one way or another. I heard first hand reports from someone I respect of some Hamlet fans being dickheads at Billericay after the women's FA Cup tie at their place a few months ago.

Personally I'm still bitter about the whole Tamplin saga, which denied us a first Isthmian League championship since 1949. I wouldn't have minded so much if he'd been in it for the long haul but he was only there for 2 full seasons, and only showed up there after at least 2 other clubs turned him down. It's the random nature of one individual taking over the first club that would have him, spending a fortune to win the league while leaving a trail of creditors in his wake, that makes me angry. I don't suppose he has the slightest interest in their fortunes since he left. He sums up much of what is wrong in football, and indeed this country as a whole.

Primarily booze and probably any glassware, plus anything that obviously shouldn't be used inside a football ground like smoke canisters. Nivag is probably best placed to advise on anything else.

The one positive for Tamplins reign (from a Billericay point of view) is that as far as I can gather he generally paid for stuff as he went along.

And while he spunked a ton on ex-pros, he also levelled and sorted their pitch, upgraded the bar, toilets etc.

He also had a community program on the go where he hired some homeless addicts so they would have a job. Which only lasted a couple of days because they stole the computers out of the office and were never seen again...

Pumped for tomorrow. Bringing along a Hornchurch fan for his first Champion Hill visit. Cmon the Hamlet!

Could go for clichés about the sort of things needed for a weekend away but perfectly I’ve had no trouble when I’ve been. There’s usually a weird selection of medical stuff in there and mucky kit if I’d been playing. It’s always fun getting the urostomy bags out or explaining gender affirming medication! 😂 Still have had worse after a novice security guard at Chelsea thought my full urostomy bag was me smuggling alcohol in. You might need to do some research!!

I dare say we have a minority who have left a similarly poor impression, one way or another. I heard first hand reports from someone I respect of some Hamlet fans being dickheads at Billericay after the women's FA Cup tie at their place a few months ago.
I'd take that with a pinch of salt to be honest, I thought our fans were phenomenal that day, especially considering the hostile stewarding, the aggressive goalkeeping coach at our end and the goading we'd got on social media all week.

Billericay made an embarrassment of themselves around that fixture, it wouldn't surprise me if there were stories going around to shunt some of the blame on us.

(Much like the Cheshunt home game last season, when a bunch of their fans took to Twitter to try and argue that the away contingent lobbing missiles at Dulwich fans was somehow our fault)

I heard similar from someone I have known professionally for north of a decade. It's the first time he's ever said a bad word about our support. His comment was about a tiny minority but it was made.

I don't live in London now and have only seen the second DHWFC twice. The second time, Fulham away in the cup this season, the support was impressive. The first was Spurs away at Cheshunt in the cage this season.

Last edited:
Perhaps. I have to say, the only thing I saw that got close to a physical confrontation was their goalkeeping coach trying to start something with our own chairman in the first half!

Pumped for tomorrow. Bringing along a Hornchurch fan for his first Champion Hill visit. Cmon the Hamlet!
He’s picked the wrong game! Hornchurch can win the league tomorrow if they beat Wingate which would also be a huge help for us. I hope he gets to see us win though, assuming he’s unlikely to be cheering on Billericay!

He’s picked the wrong game! Hornchurch can win the league tomorrow if they beat Wingate which would also be a huge help for us. I hope he gets to see us win though, assuming he’s unlikely to be cheering on Billericay!
Bit of a fair weather fan, plus he's never been to our gaff.

We used to do our school sports days on the Hornchurch field. Not that I had much sporting success there mind

I'd take that with a pinch of salt to be honest, I thought our fans were phenomenal that day, especially considering the hostile stewarding, the aggressive goalkeeping coach at our end and the goading we'd got on social media all week.

Billericay made an embarrassment of themselves around that fixture, it wouldn't surprise me if there were stories going around to shunt some of the blame on us.

(Much like the Cheshunt home game last season, when a bunch of their fans took to Twitter to try and argue that the away contingent lobbing missiles at Dulwich fans was somehow our fault)
I wasn't at the game myself, but the comment I mentioned was from a regular Hamlet supporter who was there and is not the type to grumble without good reason. I've seen no comments from the Billericay end regarding our supporters at that game, so it's not like Cheshunt supporters trying to blame us for anything.

Believe me, Billericay is one of my least favourite clubs, but my original point stands. Just one or two individuals drawing attention to themselves can easily leave a lingering impression of a club for the wrong reasons, even when the majority of their supporters have been great. (I'll admit I've probably let our club down in this respect in the past, though not for many years now.) I've heard complaints from Hamlet fans about the behaviour of opposition supporters from various different clubs in recent years when I've been at the same game and seen nothing wrong myself.

Four matches in our division were brought forward and played yesterday. Carshalton nudged ahead of us on goal difference with an extra game played after winning 2-1 at Concord, while Hastings closed to within 2 points with a game in hand after boosting their goal difference by winning 5-0 at Haringey. (Attendance at Concord was just 120, which seems like a shocking decline for a club that was in National South for twice as long as we were and is now on course for a second consecutive relegation.)

Today's games at Kingstonian and Potters Bar are each subject to a morning pitch inspection.

(Attendance at Concord was just 120, which seems like a shocking decline for a club that was in National South for twice as long as we were and is now on course for a second consecutive relegation.)
Bear with me while I look for the world’s smallest violin.

Got away with it against Lewes, not today. Would be nice to push on when leading against a team who haven't won since I don't know when. Last year? Got what we deserved eventually

Couldn't help having a look at the table when we were leading, 5th! Looks a way off now unfortunately

Not a great watch and i am sure it will be argued thay good structure when we dont have ball has worked before but against a team of no form who offered very little it just invited the inevitable. However, the event that changed everything was the change at right back when Deacon was injured.

It’s Billericay’s cup final, should have had someone telling the players and manager so.

I've had better afternoons. That was quite a poor spectacle even for the 85 minutes when we seemed likely to win. We had a few early chances, a couple of shots straight at the keeper and a couple off target. We scored a great goal late in the first half when a Billericay attack was snuffed out on the edge of our box, a long pass released Jeffrey down the left flank, and his low cross was expertly tucked away by Mills from the far corner of the six yard box. The closest Billericay had come by half-time was a miscued header from Parry that dropped just wide of his own goal.

We seemed to drop deeper in the second half and struggled to retain possession or really create anything, yet we looked defensively sound until Deacon limped off injured with less than 10 minutes to go. It was a rude shock when Billericay worked the ball into our box from a throw and one of their substitutes beat Lakin with a precise shot into bottom corner. I never really felt they were going to score before that, but only two minutes later it happened again when a low cross eluded our defenders to present the same substitute with an easy finish.

Wingate ended Hornchurch's unbeaten home record, and we're suddenly needing someone above us to lose a couple of games even if we win all ours. I'm not that bothered about the play-offs, I just hate losing to Billericay.

Back
Top Bottom