Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gulf of Mexico oil spill

Matt Simmons is talking about the possibility that the casing has blown out and that a much larger volume of oil is escaping via a natural fracture to the sea floor kilometers away. A research vessel found a huge plume some distance away, and the size of the surface plume is consistent with a flow rate of 100,000+ barrels a day, much larger than could come from that 6/7inch tear in the the videos. If that is so, then there is no possibility of success - there is no integrity with which to form a seal with cement. Red Adair used to insert an explosive into the well bore and they might have to try the same, although that is probably some kind of military operation. We'll see this afternoon ...

Red Adair used to insert an explosive in the case of above ground well fires, in order to starve the fire of oxygen, via the explosion.

I haven't seen it mentioned: what are the projected reserves in that well, ie how much oil is down there with the potential of escaping into the sea?

Well, there's the answer:

The prospect is located in Mississippi Canyon Block 252 of the Gulf of Mexico. BP is the operator and principal developer of the oil field with 65% of interest, while 25% is owned by Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, and 10% by MOEX Offshore 2007, a unit of Mitsui.[1] The prospect may have held 50 million barrels (7.9×10^6 m3) producible reserves of oil.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macondo_Prospect

Fifty million barrels. I wonder what that much oil would do to the world's oceans?

Is there any news on how "Top Kill" went? I haven't seen anything reported yet, which IMO, is a worry.

Matt Simmons is talking about the possibility that the casing has blown out and that a much larger volume of oil is escaping via a natural fracture to the sea floor kilometers away. A research vessel found a huge plume some distance away, and the size of the surface plume is consistent with a flow rate of 100,000+ barrels a day, much larger than could come from that 6/7inch tear in the the videos. If that is so, then there is no possibility of success - there is no integrity with which to form a seal with cement. Red Adair used to insert an explosive into the well bore and they might have to try the same, although that is probably some kind of military operation. We'll see this afternoon ...

Ive heard this elsewhere but not seen a link to his comments, you got one?

well, I posted a link the other day from someone elegedly watching the live feed. Who said that there was an explosion. maybe they tried Top Kill before they told us they did. (which would explain why the big "thing" that's supposed to be pumped full of mud is NOT on the main oil leak live feed) It's not like BP have lied through their fucking arses about this leak so far, is it? :D Maybe they've already failed and not told us yet. I mean, who else do have have to get the news from?

well, I posted a link the other day from someone elegedly watching the live feed. Who said that there was an explosion. maybe they tried Top Kill before they told us they did. (which would explain why the big "thing" that's supposed to be pumped full of mud is NOT on the main oil leak live feed) It's not like BP have lied through their fucking arses about this leak so far, is it? :D Maybe they've already failed and not told us yet. I mean, who else do have have to get the news from?

Any chance of a diagram - the pipes and leak reference continually confuse me..... :)

I think you were referring to this

http://monkeyfister.blogspot.com/2010/05/major-change-down-below.html

which has some interesting photos of what supposedly relates to the event in question. the issue of the BP feed being on a loop is also muted - im guessing if there is the risk of something going badly wrong then you wouldnt really have a live feed - would you?

I did, I've posted 2 live feeds :)

Thing is with the live feeds, is that the 2 feeds on the BP website, are from the 2 smaller leaks, and it was revealed (by CNN on the 25th) that BP haven't shown a feed to the main leak. (until then)

This is the main leak, from post 181 (just a few above) but I can't get it to load at the moment, but that can be a problem with live feeds like this I gather.
http://www.youtube.com/pbsnewshour?feature=ticker

This is the feed from BP, showing the 2 other leaks. Well I say the 2 other leaks, it now seems to be showing the main one, and the main one only. (it had 2 other cams on when I posted this, from page 6 of the thread) http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_int...local_assets/bp_homepage/html/rov_stream.html

Sorry, I just re-read your post, no I don;t have a diagram of where the leaks are in relation to the main leak/pipes. But the main thing about that is, they are now showing a leak from the main one, which is coming from a "cap" of some sort, with 5 or so leaks spilling out. The feed we had before, was from a horizontal pipe (one of the smaller feeds) I can't take it any further than that, sorry :)

Well, that's the media manipulation in effect ;)

Aaaaanyway, I have a question, if anyone is qualified to answer it...

I read the other day whilst slightly high, about the gas escaping, and how it crystalisis. Someone was saying, that this gas, which is pumping into the athmosphere at an allarming rate, could cause it to rain "fire" As it's a volitile substance, and if it gets into storm clouds with lightening, it could ignite! Now, I took this with a pinch of salt, but as a theory, it could I suppose, be possible. I mean, if this gas is flammable, and if it is getting up into the clouds, then could this actually happen?

Well, that's the media manipulation in effect ;)

Aaaaanyway, I have a question, if anyone is qualified to answer it...

I read the other day whilst slightly high, about the gas escaping, and how it crystalisis. Someone was saying, that this gas, which is pumping into the athmosphere at an allarming rate, could cause it to rain "fire" As it's a volitile substance, and if it gets into storm clouds with lightening, it could ignite! Now, I took this with a pinch of salt, but as a theory, it could I suppose, be possible. I mean, if this gas is flammable, and if it is getting up into the clouds, then could this actually happen?
It's methane and it can get trapped in a formation with water called "clathrates" which looks like ice but isn't. Once in the air it'd very quickly disperse. No danger of raining fire or burning clouds.

not by the looks of it, camera has panned back to the leak. Although some are saying that this is a 15 second loop. I've not seen any evidence of the loop.....

It's methane and it can get trapped in a formation with water called "clathrates" which looks like ice but isn't. Once in the air it'd very quickly disperse. No danger of raining fire or burning clouds.

you just pissed fire on my biblical appocalypcit dream :(

That's exactly how it is planned to work. They pump mud in at a pressure higher than the reservoir, to force the oil back down the hole, while simultaneously leaking mud back up the pipe. Once the oil is forced down, they can slack the pressure off (the weight of the mud column helps, so they don't need to pump as hard) - now they're going to hold the pressure while they make sure nothing bad is happening, and then they'll introduce concrete into the well to properly block it up.

*fingers crossed it works*

I truly hope that it doesn't cause it all to pump out from the fault liine they were talking about.

((((mother nature))))

Scientists studying the blown-out well in the Gulf of Mexico now say it's leaking at least twice as much oil and possibly five times as much as original estimates.

U.S. Geological Survey Director Dr. Marcia McNutt is the leader of a team put together to try to figure out how much oil is coming from the well.

She says results are preliminary but two teams using different methods determined the well is leaking at least 504,000 gallons a day. One team said it might be leaking as much as 798,000 gallons and another said that number might be closer to a million gallons.

The well blew out when the offshore drilling rig Deepwater Horizon exploded April 20.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100527/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill

Back
Top Bottom