Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gregory Isaacs RIP

fwiw, i do care a bit about sneering tosspots ascribing opinions to the forum which are pretty much the opposite of the truth though...

UB40. Another group that improved the financial position of some long forgotten Jamaican pensioners, another group almost universally despised on these boards :facepalm:

no they're not. how did you get that impression, o sneery man?

maybe people either forgot, or didn't think to mention Fathers of Reggae (i think it's called..i've got it somewhere)

anyway - Gregory. yes. loved him.

no Tribute to Wa Di though ringo...this is one of my favourites. :)

he seems to be known as a lovers singer, but i think he's a king of strugglers music..

no Tribute to Wa Di though ringo...this is one of my favourites. :)

Look again foo, wouldn't have missed that one ;)

Yes, I love his suffererahs laments the best, but he crossed the board for me, I love it all.

add my name to say thankyou for the wonderful tribute mix ringo - hearing most of these for the first time too, so thanks for the education

anyone know any other lee perry & gregory collaborations - Mr Cop I know - any others? Love the combination...

thanks ringo
love the version of Loving Pauper - the original is great, but his version makes it come alive

just got this

GREGORY ISAACS

THE COOL RULER

15 JULY 1951 – 25 October 2010

Culture Promotions wants to remember Gregory Isaacs as one of the great veterans in our Reggae business.

Gregory maintained popularity through all the various changes in both popular and reggae music.

Gregory, with his unique style had timeless hits after hits.

Culture Promotions will remember meeting and working with Gregory first of all in Devon on the Red Roses for Gregory tour....we will remember our work at Essential Festival Brighton, The Dub Club and Jazz Cafe London, Respect Festival at the Dome and on many, many more occasions

We will remember Gregory for his good moods, his individual personality and his humour.

Above all we will remember him and his music bringing universal joy to all lovers of reggae music.

The Memorial Service for Gregory Isaacs will be on 10th November at 2pm at All Saints Church, Harrow Weald, UK.

He will then be flown back to Jamaica where there will be a state funeral at the National Arena in Kingston.

May his spirit live on and may he find eternal peace in his place of rest.

R.I.P THE COOL RULER GREGORY ISAACS

JAH BLESS YOUR SOUL

gregory_isaacs.jpg

Apart from Gregory, I understand that Burning Spear is close to death and is putting his affairs in order. And Sonia Pottinger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Pottinger) died yesterday after having suffered from Alzheimer's for many years. Prince Buster had a major stroke a year ago and will never return to normal. And, apparently, Beres Hammond is also very ill. It's a gloomy time for early reggae music people.

Apart from Gregory, I understand that Burning Spear is close to death and is putting his affairs in order. And Sonia Pottinger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Pottinger) died yesterday after having suffered from Alzheimer's for many years. Prince Buster had a major stroke a year ago and will never return to normal. And, apparently, Beres Hammond is also very ill. It's a gloomy time for early reggae music people.

You sure about Sonia Pottinger? Not seen this anywhere else, hope it's not true.
Spear always seemed like he'd be around forever, let's hope he struggles on.

You sure about Sonia Pottinger? Not seen this anywhere else, hope it's not true.
Spear always seemed like he'd be around forever, let's hope he struggles on.

Bunny Lee told me this morning. He is very close to the daughter, Sharon. I met Miss Pottinger a couple of years ago and I have a little clay statue that she gave to me.

Oh man, that's a depressing list :(

There is a Memorial Service for Gregory next Wednesday (10th) at 2pm at All Saints Church, 90 Uxbridge Road, Harrow Weald. The next day, his body is being flown out on the Thursday Virgin flight to Kingston and he will be given a state funeral in the National Arena in Kingston.

Thanks for the link Ringo, downloading now.

On the Wire played a few tracks in his memory too.

One by one, the greats are disappearing... :(

Bunny Lee told me this morning. He is very close to the daughter, Sharon. I met Miss Pottinger a couple of years ago and I have a little clay statue that she gave to me.

Sorry to hear this Coccinelle, very sad to hear this.

For anyone wondering, she took over Treasure Isle after Duke Reid passed and then ran the High Note label, producing classics including much of Culture's hits. Greatest female producer Jamaica has ever known.

I'm always afraid to look at threads like this......saw Gregory 15/16 times - massive, massive creative force, his band, the Radics were the most perfect wall of rythym
High Note/Sky Note continued Treasue Isles quality not quantity (well......) so sorry to hear about her

First thing I bought on High Note

Didn't really doubt you Coccinelle, just a surprise. Can't imagine how difficult it must have been to operate successfully in such a mans world but from the interviews I saw with her she was an indominatable spirit, coupled with no small amount of business acumen and a fantastic eye for talent.

I didn't suspect you doubted me...

For the real early music buffs, I just heard that Keith Stewart of Keith and Enid also just died in the last few days.

On a more positive note, I heard all of ringos's Gregory selection on Friday evening and the whole lot was quality, Thank you again. Listening to those top tunes delayed my trip to the pub, quite rightly so as well .... :cool:

On a more positive note, I heard all of ringos's Gregory selection on Friday evening and the whole lot was quality, Thank you again. Listening to those top tunes delayed my trip to the pub, quite rightly so as well .... :cool:

Listened to it several times now, quality reggae. Cheers Ringo!

First 15 minutes of the premier Happy Hour show with host, Whyno and special guest, Haggard. The first of many DubPile adventures on Happy Hour Radio! Large ups and massive respect to Gregory Isaacs who passed away the day before this show. We hope you enjoy this mix of a few of his tunes and the start of the dubstep selection for the show.
here 16mins

Back
Top Bottom