Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gregory Isaacs RIP

* David Katz
* guardian.co.uk, Monday 25 October 2010 18.44 BST

Gregory Isaacs, who has died of cancer aged 59, was one of reggae music's most popular singers. Known as the Cool Ruler for his exceptionally suave and emotive voice, Isaacs scored many hits during the 1970s and 80s, including the perennial favourite Night Nurse, and remained active as a recording artist, live performer and producer in the decades that followed. Although best known for romantic ballads, delivered with a hint of vulnerability, he also excelled at songs of social protest and work that expressed unwavering pride in his African heritage. However, his long-term drug use and involvement in criminal activity led to long periods of incarceration and repeated arrests, hastening his physical decline.

Isaacs was born in Fletcher's Land, a particularly neglected patch of the ghetto in the Jamaican capital, Kingston. His father left for the US during his childhood, so Gregory and his younger brother, Sylvester, were raised by their mother in the rough streets of nearby Denham Town. Showing a natural aptitude for singing, Isaacs began making an impact on talent contests during his teens (often as a duo with Sylvester). He was inspired by stars such as Sam Cooke and Otis Redding, as well as local acts including Alton Ellis and the Melodians, but named his mother as his first vocal role model, since he used to hear her singing while she ironed.

In 1968, Isaacs recorded and produced a duet, Another Heartache, with an aspiring singer from the neighbourhood, Winston Sinclair, but the song sank without a trace. His next effort, Ballroom Floor, was recorded for Prince Buster, after receiving a personal recommendation from a local gangster, Lester Lloyd Coke (aka Jim Brown). In the same era, Isaacs sold marijuana on behalf of Toddy Livingston, father of the singer Bunny Wailer.

Isaacs subsequently formed a trio, the Concords, with two other hopefuls, recording a number of impressive tunes for Rupie Edwards in 1969, of which the most notable was Don't Let Me Suffer. Other stirring solo singles, such as Too Late and Lonely Man, followed. By 1970 he had formed the independent label African Museum with a fellow singer, Errol Dunkley. They found instant success with Dunkley's Movie Star and Isaacs's moderately popular My Only Lover (featuring the Wailers' backing band), before Dunkley broke away to found his own label. Isaacs's first substantial hit, All I Have Is Love, was produced by a perceptive downtown promoter, Phil Pratt, in 1973. The following year, he scored an even bigger hit with Love Is Overdue, the first of several for the producer Alvin "GG" Ranglin, who soon issued Isaacs's debut album, In Person (1975).

As his songwriting skills matured, Isaacs shifted focus to address social injustice, in work that expressed longing for his ancestral African homeland, and grew dreadlocks as a sign of his commitment to the Rastafari faith. At Lee Perry's Black Ark studio, he cut the anthem-like Mr Cop in 1976 and the censorious Black Against Black, which decried self-destructive ghetto violence. After the release of the self-produced concept album, Mr Isaacs (1977), he received a major career boost in 1978 by signing to Virgin Records for the album Cool Ruler and making an appearance in the feature film Rockers. The 1979 Virgin follow-up, Soon Forward, included the chart-topping Mr Brown and a popular title track which was one of the first recordings to make use of the production skills of Sly and Robbie.

A shift to Charisma Records' subsidiary Pre in 1980 brought the album Lonely Lover and its follow-up, More Gregory, the latter featuring the Jamaican chart success Top Ten. Both albums were backed by the Roots Radics band, with whom Isaacs toured the UK in 1980-81. Night Nurse (1982), issued by Island, was his most commercially successful set to date, but just as he reached a pinnacle of popularity, problems arose. He was imprisoned in Jamaica following the discovery of an unlicensed firearm at his home, and he also served time for cocaine possession. He addressed his experiences of prison in the subsequent Island release, Out Deh! (1983).

After recording the relaxed Private Beach Party album for the producer Gussie Clarke in 1985, he cut less impressive work for a number of relatively unknown producers. Then, in 1987, another cocaine bust prompted him to go into rehab. This was followed by a more productive period that peaked with the release of Red Rose for Gregory (1988), a hit dancehall album issued by Clarke, and featuring the outstanding single, Rumours.

Although Isaacs would score a few more Jamaican chart hits, record for the British label Acid Jazz, open a recording studio in Jamaica, and launch the singing career of his son Kevin, he continued to use drugs. This resulted in several patchy releases, the loss of a number of his teeth, and a reputation for unreliability. Nevertheless, he maintained a loyal fan base, both at home in Jamaica and overseas.

He is survived by his wife Linda and several children.

• Gregory Anthony Isaacs, singer, songwriter and record producer, born 15 July 1951; died 25 October 2010

596400.jpg

This was about the first classic roots album I ever heard, way back when ... !

I've always loved his singing ever since and was able to see him live for the first (and last! :( ) time in 2007. That was at Bestival, a criminally short set due to festival-imposed restrictions, but by no means a bad hour ...

RIP to a genuine legend.

Got all my Gregory records out yesterday and was impressed all over again at the huge amount of incredible music he recorded. Putting together a tribute for next Wednesday's radio show, will provide a link for download afterwards.

i look forward to that - ive got no gregory in my box at all :oops: ...now i come to think of it I have this:
Bush Ganja - Alpha And Omega featuring Gregory Isaacs

Got all my Gregory records out yesterday and was impressed all over again at the huge amount of incredible music he recorded. Putting together a tribute for next Wednesday's radio show, will provide a link for download afterwards.
Can't wait.

RIP Gregory, love him to bits, my wife's dad had all his originals as he was a Gregory disciple back in the day.

RIP Cool Ruler. Loved, still love his version of 'Loving Pauper'.

At least he won't have to listen to that utter cunt Hucknall murder night nurse, if there's a heaven Isaacs is there, Hucknall with be going somewhere warmer I hope.

RIP Cool Ruler. Loved, still love his version of 'Loving Pauper'.

At least he won't have to listen to that utter cunt Hucknall murder night nurse, if there's a heaven Isaacs is there, Hucknall with be going somewhere warmer I hope.

Hucknall did set up and fund the Blood and Fire label to his credit though, and through them some crucial Gregory Isaacs material saw quality reissue on remastered CD.

Hucknall did set up and fund the Blood and Fire label to his credit though, and through them some crucial Gregory Isaacs material saw quality reissue on remastered CD.

Never thought i'd be standing up for Hucknall but here goes - and a bit of name drop too. A few years ago i was talking to Dave Godin about how he managed to get the royalties from the compilations he helped put together to the right people considering the amount of dodgy sharks operating in the soul business in the 60s and 70s - he literally had to go around the US for months on end to find these old artists (invariably doing shit-work or in jail). He reckoned the only people he'd ever encountered who made similar efforts to get the royalties to the right people were Blood and Fire...

Was hucknall at all hands-on at B&F, or was he just a money man?

Also, the frantic elevators had some decent tunes...

Yeah I know that, still doesn't make up for his murdering of Night Nurse though.

Was hucknall at all hands-on at B&F, or was he just a money man?

Also, the frantic elevators had some decent tunes...

I think he just fronted the money and let Barrow get on with it - at least, that was the impression I got when I met Barrow round my mate's house (he was there to borrow some of the original releases that were used to make up the B&F artwork - they'd been introduced by a mutual aquaintance). Not sure of the story with B&F going under though - I heard that Hucknall sold it to fund his divorce proceedings/settlement, but I got no idea who to.

On that note, anyone got any ideas on what's happening with the Trojan catalogue?

the years haven't been kind to simply red have they? personally, i've no desire to ever listen to them, but i don't get the hate. the songs were competently written, well played & sung - although both arrangement and production sound horribly dated now.

he used solid northern jazz musicians on the whole too - i go to quite a few jazz gigs round preston, and it seems half the musicians on the circuit were in simply red at some point. they mostly look back with fondness afaik.

I believe Hucknall just put up the money - he's a huge reggae fan. Bob Harding ran much of the operations side and Steve Barrow was A&R, chief compiler, general expert.

I don't think Hucknall sold any part of B&F, never heard of such. B&F are just about a going concern through digital sales of their back catalogue, that's what still funds the internet forum. They just don't have any money for any more releases.

Sanctuary, who owned Trojan and I think Greensleeves now as well was bought out by Universal, who have recently announced some new reissued singles:

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/Reggae/Trojan-Records-Candy-McKenzie-Breakfast-In-Bed-Ice-Cream-7-inch-Vinyl-2010/invt/0602527544267?utm_source=TrojanRecords251010&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=October+Mailer

He reckoned the only people he'd ever encountered who made similar efforts to get the royalties to the right people were Blood and Fire...

UB40. Another group that improved the financial position of some long forgotten Jamaican pensioners, another group almost universally despised on these boards :facepalm:

Ringo, Mr Soundtapes and Mister Swing Easy - Tribute to Gregory Isaacs

2.5 hours of pure Gregory, not a dry eye in the house.

RIP Gregory

gregory-isaacs-2.jpg

Lonely Soldier- Gregory Isaacs (17 North Parade LP)
Wailing Rudy- Gregory Isaacs (African Museum 12”)
Mr Cop- Gregory Isaacs (Micron 7”)
Poor And Clean- Gregory Isaacs (African Museum 12”)
Don't Believe In Him- Gregory Isaacs (Silver Camel 12")
Lets Dance- Gregory Isaacs (Frelimo 7”)
One One Cocoa- Gregory Isaacs – Rebel Music Vol 2 CD
Looking Back- Gregory Isaacs (Moodisc 7”)
Don't Let Me Suffer- Gregory Isaacs (Burning Sounds LP)
Loving Pauper- Gregory Isaacs (Trojan LP)
Don't Go- Gregory Isaacs (Impact 7”)
Love Is Overdue- Gregory Isaacs (Trojan LP)
Ba Da - Gregory Isaacs (Trojan LP)
Happy Anniversary - Gregory Isaacs (Cash and Carry 7”)
Rasta Business - Gregory Isaacs (Morpheus 7”)
Top Ten - Gregory Isaacs (African Museum 7”)
Oh What A Feeling - Gregory Isaacs (African Museum 7”)
Sunshine For Me - Gregory Isaacs (African Museum 7”)
Way Of Life - Gregory Isaacs (Wambesi 7”)
Rumours - Gregory Isaacs (Music Works 7”)
Mind Yuh Dis - Gregory Isaacs (Anchor 7”)
Report To Me - Gregory Isaacs (Greensleeves 12”)
Ding Dong Bell - Gregory Isaacs (Jammys Christmas Party LP)
Mr Know It All - Gregory Isaacs (DEB 12”)
Number One- Gregory Isaacs (GG's 7”)
Sunday Morning- Gregory Isaacs (D.A.N.C.S 7”)
What A Feeling- Gregory Isaacs (Taxi 7”)
Tribute to Wa De - Gregory Isaacs (Lonely Lover LP)
Sacrifice - Gregory Isaacs (African Museum 7”)
Night Nurse- Gregory Isaacs (African Museum 7”)
Rock On - Gregory Isaacs / Saturday Night - Christine (Nationwide 12”)
Take A look - Gregory Isaacs (Jammys 7”)
Dealing- Gregory Isaacs (Observer 12")
Bush Canta - Gregory Isaacs (Alpha & Omega 7”)
Cant give you love alone - Gregory Isaacs (African Museum 7”)
Next To You - Gregory Isaacs (African Museum 7”)
Lonely Girl - Gregory Isaacs (Camel 7")
Uncle Joe - Gregory Isaacs (African Museum)
The Border - Gregory Isaacs (G G 12”)
Storm - Gregory Isaacs (Mr Isaacs LP)
Thief A Man - Gregory Isaacs (African Museum 7”)
Black A Kill Black - Gregory Isaacs (African Museum 7”)

Back
Top Bottom