Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Got 7 Hours in Glasgow what shall I do??

KeyboardJockey

Clowns to the Left of me
I'm of to the National Bisexual Convention in Glasgow at the Caledonian University next week via an overnight coach. I'm getting into the Buchannan Bus Station at 07.05am and can't check in to the convention until 14.00.

This means that I've got 7 hours to kill in Glasgow. I can lose an hour by having a nice fried breakfast (if I can find a cafe near the station).

What what else can I do to amuse myself in Glasgow tht a) isn't going to cost me any or much money and b) doesn't involve alcohol as I don't want to turn up at the gig blasted.:D

Any suggestions gladly recieved.

Velouria said:
Mmm, dunno much about that side of the country ... hopefully someone else does...?

*bump*

I've only ever passed through Glasgow on my way to the Isles and that was a long time ago. I knowthere are quite a few museums and art galleries there which I intend to check out.

Mind you I've just see the wiki for the Glasgow Underground

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Subway

I'm deffo going to have a ride on that. :)

KeyboardJockey said:
I've only ever passed through Glasgow on my way to the Isles and that was a long time ago. I knowthere are quite a few museums and art galleries there which I intend to check out.

What kind of stuff do you like to do? I'm assuming you have a map that shows the various neighbourhoods.

In the city centre, the Museum of Modern Art is worth a look.
Merchant City has some nice architecture, is worth a quick wander round and is relatively quiet during the day. Mostly the city centre is pubs, business, shopping so not that interesting to hang around (although there are some cool buildings).

If you really like walking, head down to the river and walk west along the waterfront out to the SECC / Science centre. There are some nice new bridges and modern buildings. If you don't like walking or it's pouring, skip this bit :)

The West End is definitely worth a visit. Kelvingrove museum has just reopened after 3 years, so it will be *very* busy, but it's the biggest attraction there is so go see it anyway! The transport museum is right across the road if you like old trams, cars, buses and motorbikes - also the toilets there are nice and clean :)

Close to the museum is Kelvingrove park and Glasgow University - both are worth seeing. There's also the Hunterian Museum (sciency stuff) and the Hunterian Art Gallery (with Whistler and Rennie MacIntosh features). Also check out Byres Road as it's the hub of the West End. You can get the subway from Buchanan Street (city centre) to Hillhead (Byres Road). which puts you in easy reach of the West End attractions. Get a 'discovery' ticket on the subway which is 1-90 for a day's unlimited travel.

If you have specific questions, then PM me or mail me on yahoo (I live in the West End). Good luck and hope you enjoy your visit:)

KeyboardJockey said:

What kind of stuff do you like to do? I'm assuming you have a map that shows the various neighbourhoods.

In the city centre, the Museum of Modern Art is worth a look. Merchant City has some nice architecture, is worth a quick wander round and is relatively quiet during the day. Mostly the city centre is pubs, business, shopping so not that interesting to hang around (although there are some cool buildings).

If you really like walking, head down to the river and walk west along the waterfront out to the SECC / Science centre. There are some nice new bridges and modern buildings. If you don't like walking or it's pouring, skip this bit :)

The West End is definitely worth a visit. Kelvingrove museum has just reopened after 3 years, so it will be *very* busy, but it's the biggest attraction there is so go see it anyway! The transport museum is right across the road if you like old trams, cars, buses and motorbikes - also the toilets there are nice and clean :)

Close to the museum is Kelvingrove park and Glasgow University - both are worth seeing. There's also the Hunterian Museum (sciency stuff) and the Hunterian Art Gallery (with Whistler and Rennie MacIntosh features). Also check out Byres Road as it's the most lively street. You can get the subway from Buchanan Street (city centre) to Hillhead (Byres Road). which puts you in easy reach of the attractions. Get a 'discovery' ticket on the subway which is 1-90 for a days unlimited travel.

If you have specific questions, then PM me or mail me on yahoo (I live in the West End). Good luck and hope you enjoy your visit:)

I'd definitely recommend the GOMA. It's free, it's fun and it's very close to both the train station and Cally Uni.

Unfortunately, there's not really going to be that much open until about 10am, so your options for most of that period are really just going to be looking at the buildings or reading a book.

Also, there's not a whole lot in the City centre if you're not drinking or shopping so I'd echo fllopadelic's suggestion of taking a wander west. It only takes a few minutes on the underground and the fare isn't too bad.

There's plenty of chain coffee shops that you can kill time in and if you like tea and/ or Jazz hippies there's Tchai Ovna in the west end (well I presume it's still there anyway) which has a prety decent selection of fancy foriegn teas and comfortable places to sit and relax.

have some battered haggis and chips from the chippie underneath the station bridge

Thanks people. Some great suggestions there.

I really fancy the transport museum and the museums look fab. I don't really want to walk too far as I'll have my luggage with me I've just estimated the weight of my backpack and it is about 15-20kg.

Kelvingrove and the Peoples Palace looks good. :)

One thing I am going to do is travel the whole length of the glasgow subway.

Any recommendations for good cafes for my brekky?

inflatable jesus said:
That should take about half an hour.

:D

inflatable jesus said:
Are you arriving at Central or Queen St train Station?

No I'm coming into Buchannan Bus Station.
I would imagine that it is not wo well served as the train stations for food.

As a side issue just how safe is the area round Buchannan St in the early mornings? I'm no wuss but I like o have an idea what I'm stepping into.

KeyboardJockey said:
As a side issue just how safe is the area round Buchannan St in the early mornings? I'm no wuss but I like o have an idea what I'm stepping into.

It's pretty safe, the dodgy bits in Glasgow are everywhere outside the city centre.

For breakfast you could ask a taxi or bus driver, as they usually know the best places.

Failing that you could try Dino's cafe, it's on Sauchiehall Street near the Buchanan Street end - it opens at 7am.

If you're carrying a big backpack and want to visit the Transport museum, get off the subway at Kelvinhall station - it's closer than Hillhead. From Kelvinhall you just turn left out of the station (back east toward the city centre) and walk a couple of hundred yards.

At the bus station you will be within short walking distance of the Glasgow School of Art which was designed by Charles Rennie Macintosh and I think the Kelvingrove Gallery reopens on the 13th July which is not far. If you are not veggie then try 'square' suasages with your breakfast.

moonsi til said:
At the bus station you will be within short walking distance of the Glasgow School of Art which was designed by Charles Rennie Macintosh and I think the Kelvingrove Gallery reopens on the 13th July which is not far. If you are not veggie then try 'square' suasages with your breakfast.

Square sausages sounds good. What are they just sausage meant patties. Mmmmmm.

lorne.jpg

The square sausage is definitely the absolute monarch of the sausage family.

It's usually made from ground pork and beef combined with cereal (breadcrumbs) nutmeg, salt and black pepper, although the recipes vary a bit as does the quality. If you get the chance, try to get it on a Morton's roll just to be extra Glaswegian.

Fuck, I'm making myself hungry now.

Square sausages are fab Square sausages are fabSquare sausages are fabSquare sausages are fabSquare sausages are fab:) :)

Glasgow is a lot more chilled out than the impression you can get from the media etc. I've been walking round central glasgow wearing a tee shirt saying London Bisexual Group - Can you see us Now? And no one has hassled me - I can't imagine that happening in other cities although as people have said the centre is probably a lot less agro than the edges and outskirts.

And another thing about Glasgow. It really does have the hottest totties around on the streets. Loads upon loads of confident chunky (and sometimes redheadded) women all around.

KeyboardJockey said:
And another thing about Glasgow. It really does have the hottest totties around on the streets. Loads upon loads of confident chunky (and sometimes redheadded) women all around.

trouble is u look at half of them and imagine them saying 'oh no mr mctavish i will not kiss u until we're married'. not a patch on cardiff women.

Back
Top Bottom