Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Good competence-based interview questions?

Cloo

Approved by toads
Have to interview two people for a role tomorrow - not on my own, luckily, but interested if people with more interview experience than me can recommend some good ones. It's for a fairly junior editor of a professional membership organisation journal - neither candidate has subject matter knowledge, but both have editorial experience. I have a few in mind, but some more input wouldn't hurt!

I find that competency-based questions just trigger a game of 'who's got the best work anecdotes', so I like to add in questions about a hypothetical task or problem they might face and see how they can actually think about something in the moment.

I also like to ask them which part of the job they think they would enjoy most/be best at, and then follow that up with which part of the job are they not looking forward to. Hopefully it just gets them to open up about what they are good at.

Yeah, I have some scenarios as well, re: ornery writers or members! :D

I like the 'not looking forward to' q though, may try that one. Candidates are quite different, one with more specific experience, one who might have skills more suited to the direction we want to go in with content provision so it'll be an interesting one to judge.

Back
Top Bottom