Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bus driver interview - Question

Maybe you should tell them about the dyspraxia though?

No, if it’s an issue will flag in any hand eye or spacial awareness tests and if it isn’t it won’t be any of their business.

i missed this yesterday. I'm really not sure about this. i've never had the sort of job where i'm directly involved in recruitment, training or management of bus drivers, but...

I can find a few references that say that dyspraxia does not need to be notified to DVLA in respect of car driving licence, and can't find any reference to it for vocational licences (PCV, LGV)

it's a while since i did my PCV medical, but don't specifically remember any test for co-ordination as such.

The medical requirements for vocational licences are higher than for car licences, and a medical is part of the process of getting a provisional vocational licence - you also then have to do another medical and renew every 5 years after you turn 45, and every year after 65. it would be unwise to answer questions dishonestly if the doctor asks, but if doctor doesn't ask about something, then i'm not sure you have to volunteer that information.

it depends if you'd be more comfortable disclosing something that might (or might not) be a problem at an early stage, or keeping quiet and hoping it's not a problem - in an ideal world, the job application process would be as much about making sure the job / employer is right for the employee as vice versa, but most of us can't afford to do that.

the disability discrimination bits of equality law do still apply to bus driving jobs, although if someone doesn't meet the DVLA medical standards, then there's not a lot a bus operator can do about it, and there's a limit to how 'reasonable' any adjustments can be.

For example, I have worked for a bus operator where the depot and town centre bus station were a 10-ish minute walk apart, but there was a small rota for about half a dozen drivers who could not, for medical reasons, do that walk, so their duties didn't involve that walk. But it would probably not be considered 'reasonable' (in legal terms) for a bus operator to adapt much of their fleet to accommodate a driver who could not use conventional pedal controls.

traditionally, bus operators would make an effort to find alternative jobs for established drivers who became unfit for driving work, but the number of 'alternative' jobs has shrunk over the years. (from what i can remember, the 'restricted' rota i mentioned above was for established drivers who had developed medical conditions, rather than for new hires.)

I don't know a lot about dyspraxia, again i'm aware that some operators have a few drivers who are on a regular duty or short rota so they don't have to learn all the routes at that depot where that would be an issue, although other drivers can see this as a 'privilege' / 'special treatment' - it can involve a trade off like doing a route that's not all that popular, or regularly working saturdays.

The shortage of drivers does mean that at least some operators are making more effort to be flexible and consider their drivers' needs / choices rather than the more traditional approach, although there's a limit to how far this can go (bus driving is never going to be a 9-5 monday to friday job.)

in equality law, an employer can only be expected to make reasonable adjustments if the employee has disclosed a disability / medical condition to them. although it's understandable that people may be reluctant to disclose something because they need a job.

Hi - I'm going for an interview to become a trainee bus driver this week but I need a little advice. In 2015 I turned right at a filter light while it was red, by accident, and got 3 points on my license for it. After 5 years that was spent and should have been - as i understand it - removed from the record. Is it something I need to tell the bus company up front? Will they be able to find a record of my old conviction? Do you think it matters after 8 years?
Tell them nothing unless they ask you a direct question then lie

Rules are for fools

And yeah god don't bring it up unless they ask you - I am sure that would have been part of the application process before it even got to the interview stage, if they needed to know about expired points they would surely have asked you about that before wasting everyone's time interviewing you.
If they were current or a lot of points it would be different and I am sure they ask about that, but making a mistake once years ago and it being a complete one off to me indicates that you're a good and careful driver.

Have a interview with National Express too now.

have fun.

Totally different job.

same licence, but a fair bit of difference in practice.

it's generally only recently that coach operators have started considering taking trainee drivers on - traditionally, the big companies that ran both buses and coaches, it was the more experienced bus drivers who could opt to go on to express / coach driving, smaller coach operators tended to take on drivers who had started somewhere else as bus drivers. (there were two sorts of coach driver - ones who wanted to go coach driving, and ones who'd been sacked by all the local bus companies - you could usually tell the difference...)

nat ex is somewhere between bus driving and the sort of coach driving that's mainly private hire. nat ex drivers will be handling suitcases, and driving longer distances / more motorways. it's on EU driving hours, so tachographs are involved, and you can't work as much overtime (which may be a good or a bad thing)

nat ex runs more or less the same 7 days a week, so there won't be as many sundays off as bus work. fairly common rota pattern on nat ex is 6 days on, 2 days off for a few weeks, then either a 4 day working week or a long weekend to balance it out.

some nat ex work used to involve nights away and sometimes sharing a guest house room with another driver. think that may have gone, but not entirely sure (i've not had a lot to do with nat ex stuff for many years - there's a tendency for bus operators to do buses and coach operators to do coaches and not mix the two very much now.)

coach drivers at smaller companies are generally expected to clean and wash their coach at end of day - with a bigger operator that does nat ex work, there may be cleaners employed.

i don't know if nat ex drivers handle cash now - at one time, most of the tickets were pre-booked but drivers could sell cash tickets if someone turned up and there was space on the coach - not sure if that happens now it's all computerised.

you're still working to a timetable, and when there's a balls-up it's bigger when longer distance journeys and motorways are involved than it is on a town bus route...

I take national express coaches 5 or 6 times a year. Have to say I find the drivers I have encountered so far all very professional and helpful. Not that I need much in particular but my experiences have been good.

Pretty sure all the tickets are cashless now, a mix of paper tickets and bar codes on email / app

just another thought on the nat ex thing -

national express do own / operate some coaches themselves (and also have an increasing number of coach operators they own - Kings Ferry of north kent, and Clarkes of sydenham are two that come to mind) but most coach routes are franchised out to other bus / coach operators.

if it's the latter, there is a risk of getting transferred to a new operator if the franchise changes hands - at the moment there's EU derived law that says (generally) you have the legal right to transfer on current terms / conditions / continuous employment, but with coach operations, it might be more than a couple of miles down the road (i knew a couple of people who did nat ex driving then were entitled to transfer when the nat ex route they did changed hands - but new base was about 40 miles away so they said no, one went back bus driving the other went to a local coach firm.) may be something to bear in mind.

just another thought on the nat ex thing -

national express do own / operate some coaches themselves (and also have an increasing number of coach operators they own - Kings Ferry of north kent, and Clarkes of sydenham are two that come to mind) but most coach routes are franchised out to other bus / coach operators.

if it's the latter, there is a risk of getting transferred to a new operator if the franchise changes hands - at the moment there's EU derived law that says (generally) you have the legal right to transfer on current terms / conditions / continuous employment, but with coach operations, it might be more than a couple of miles down the road (i knew a couple of people who did nat ex driving then were entitled to transfer when the nat ex route they did changed hands - but new base was about 40 miles away so they said no, one went back bus driving the other went to a local coach firm.) may be something to bear in mind.
Yeah, but i noticed something similar in the Stagecoach contract so I think it could happen either way. I like to think I'm in such a position that i could just walk away if they put me in that position - and almost certainly pick up work elsewhere. I've only got a about 3/4 years to do to ensure i get a full pension and after that I'm quite keen to go part time either with NX or with whoever.

NX offered me a job this week too and I passed the medical so I think I'm going with NX to start in August. Somehow the idea of learning to drive a coach thrills me more than the bus, and the idea that i could end up driving across the country or into Europe is quite exciting too. I'm not really tied down to Dover, and at some point I will be considering a move up north, maybe even to Scotland. I'm just going to see where the wind takes me so to speak. A year ago I couldn't see a way to keep living I was so deep in grief, and now i see many open doors. So its all good.

My training will be at Gillingham, out of the Kings Ferry depot. Four weeks intensive training. Then I'll back at Dover for on the job training with a mentor.

i don't know if nat ex drivers handle cash now - at one time, most of the tickets were pre-booked but drivers could sell cash tickets if someone turned up and there was space on the coach - not sure if that happens now it's all computerised.
I get the impression they still can, technically, but as its almost all cashless and contactless these days its not too likely. but you know, people my age and older like to use cash.

Yeah, but i noticed something similar in the Stagecoach contract so I think it could happen either way. I like to think I'm in such a position that i could just walk away if they put me in that position - and almost certainly pick up work elsewhere. I've only got a about 3/4 years to do to ensure i get a full pension and after that I'm quite keen to go part time either with NX or with whoever.

NX offered me a job this week too and I passed the medical so I think I'm going with NX to start in August. Somehow the idea of learning to drive a coach thrills me more than the bus, and the idea that i could end up driving across the country or into Europe is quite exciting too. I'm not really tied down to Dover, and at some point I will be considering a move up north, maybe even to Scotland. I'm just going to see where the wind takes me so to speak. A year ago I couldn't see a way to keep living I was so deep in grief, and now i see many open doors. So its all good.

My training will be at Gillingham, out of the Kings Ferry depot. Four weeks intensive training. Then I'll back at Dover for on the job training with a mentor.
You will get drug swabbed a lot. Plus all of the coaches have a breathalyser device attached to the ignition.

But it’s a job for life, get sacked by Nat Express? Join Flixbus the next day.

Good luck.

You will get drug swabbed a lot. Plus all of the coaches have a breathalyser device attached to the ignition.

But it’s a job for life, get sacked by Nat Express? Join Flixbus the next day.

Good luck.
Thanks, I've been alcohol free for about 6 years now and because i used to work on London Underground I'm used to the random tests.

I'll keep the drug habit for my retirement :-D

and for me life is about 10 years. Or less if i can accumulate enough cash so i can buy myself a little flat somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom